Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm interested in finding common denominators in relationship stories, plus they're really cool to hear. The thread about giving up on relationships got me thinking about how some people will almost always get into relationships when they aren't looking for one, and I just can't imagine how that would happen, and am very curious to hear.

I myself only have a couple of stories, I shall leave the one with my current girlfriend below and post more later.

The frame of mind:
I'd just started univeristy as an astrophysics major in a place that was far from where I lived before. I knew 2 people there from freshman orientation over the summer, and one of them ended up not going. So for first month I forced myself to make as many connections as I possibly could, to get friends, and maybe a relationship. So whenever I would do something in public, I would be doing it with someone I'd met or introduce myself to someone as I was doing it, and that is how I met K.

I was getting dinner on a Wednesday evening at the North campus dining hall, after a quick scout, I did not see anyone there that I knew, but I did notice a group of girls sitting very near to the food. The plan formed.

I deliberately got more food than I could carry, with my last plate being from the place that was nearest them. I looked around helplessly, when I caught the eye of one of her friends, and asked her if she could lend me a hand. She did, and then I asked if I could sit with them and introduce myself, to which they agreed.

I don't remember much of the conversations that followed other than a couple of highlights:
1. At one point, one of K's friends shifted and accidentally spilled my mandarin oranges, but didn't get anything other than the round table.
2. The conversation led to parties, where I demonstrated an effective tactic to talk to someone in a loud setting on K, cupping my hand around her ear.
3. K's 2 friends were talking about a movie that neither me nor K had seen, Insidious 2. At this point, we were almost done eating, and I was getting ready to leave. I told K that since neither of us has seen it, we should go see it together. She said OK, but she might get scared, to which I replied as I walked away, "Don't worry, I'll hold your hand."

In retrospect, that really doesn't seem how an INTP would act, oh well. That's how I met K.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Eh....

1. Met in school.
2. Met in school.
3. Met in church.
4. Met in school.
5. Met in school.
6. Met through school friends.
7. Met online at AVEN.

Currently single. :perc2:

Also, is K your current partner, is is that the extent of your interactions? lol

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ex 1: I would often study in the library after school and I saw him there. Then one day I was cruising Myspace (Yikes! Well this was high school...) and recognized his profile. We became friends there and eventually started talking in person. The rest was history. We were together two years.

Ex 2: We had three classes in university together one quarter. I noticed him on the first day then forgot about him. Then a few weeks later I noticed him again because he always sat near my general area in one of our lectures. I thought he was pretty cute so I would often walk by him or do things so he could see me. Though I honestly thought he would never actually notice me. Then one day he sat next to me and said hi! I immediately knew he liked me. WIN.

Turn out he noticed me on the fist day of class when he saw me walk in. He knew then and there he wanted to talk to me but didn't know what to say. And the reason he always sat in my general area was because he wanted to get to know me. :kitteh: We were then together 4.5 years.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, is K your current partner, is is that the extent of your interactions? lol
K is my current partner, that was over a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
High school.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
All were thru friends.

Only had 3 serious significant others that were long term.

And 1 that was like kind of serious but not long term.

All were thru friends.

( I dont count people that were under 2 months as anything in that-most of randoms I just dated were like met thru events, club, internet. All depends went to a grad party last year and ended up with a date, met a dj when we were both working at a wedding, etc, random places, and some internet dating.)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Mostly in school or in uni. A few through attending friends' parties and whatnot. I met my current partner online.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I met my ex in a rather strange situation.

My best friend's mom runs a side business where she would house, feed, and chauffeur Chinese students that are studying in the US on student visas. 2 female students started to live there, and I initially didn't care much. To me, it was just kind of awkward constantly seeing 2 strangers walking around the house in their PJs whenever I hung out of with my friend at his house. I was completely unaware of my friend's mom trying to set up my friend with 1 of the girls. Girl A was more of a vain type. She's thin and pretty attractive. Girl B was more down to earth, didn't care much for beauty, but really smart.

His mom really liked Girl B, because being Asian, we value intelligence a lot. My friend wasn't really fond of Girl B because she can get loud and spontaneous. So after a month or 2, he was in a relationship with Girl A. This is where it all started for me. My friend and his SO started to plan out how to get Girl B and I dating. I guess they felt Girl B was starting to feel left out/lonely since Girl A was always out with my friend on dates. Initially I was pretty annoyed. I have a high sense of pride and don't really like it when people give me hand outs like that, especially when I never asked for help. They purposefully plan out days to go explore new places and drag Girl B and I with them. Then they would do the usual schemes of leaving us alone etc.

After enduring this for 1 month with my friend constantly egging me on to date her, I gave in. Long story short, BOTH of our relationships ended pretty badly, mine being the worst.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I think all of them I met online, either by accident or through a dating site. I've never had any luck meeting people in public or in bars, even though I'm quite social. I feel like most people are so extremely boring, and the chances of meeting someone even close to compatible with myself in a bar are slim.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Thru mutual friends (3)

Work (2)

Meetup group activities (2)

now, no one.

That's it, 30 years were gone.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I met my ex boyfriend on High-school, we were friends and attending to the same classes everyday.

I met my current boyfriend here on PerC.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,918 Posts
School and through mutual friends

·
Registered
102 Posts
i've met my ex and only gf in high school and we were together for 8 years 4 months and 7 days then she betrayed and left me yay!
a funny thing is that our parents were already really close friends and we didn't know it! and another funny thing is that she betrayed me in the same school where we met (evening classes to complete high school).

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Ex 1: He lived in my freshman dorm building (different floor). On the day we moved in he accidentally hit me with a luggage cart. Attraction ensued (well until he ripped out my heart and stomped on it lol).

Ex 2: We went to high school together when I was in 9th grade and he was in 12th. We met because we would both hang out in the library on all of our free periods and we became friends. We didn't really keep up after he went to college. Several years later (when I was 19) we started talking again on Facebook and then started hanging out again. Eventually we got together. Although now that I think of it he actually kind of pressured me into getting together with him :(

Fiance: Met him in Union Square on St. Patrick's Day 2011, also when I was 19. I was on spring break from college so my friend and I planned to hang out and get shitfaced together, as you do. Meanwhile, he had just quit a job he hated and was going out with his friends to celebrate. My friend was waiting for me to get there from the bus station and she was wearing a t-shirt for his favorite band, the Black Dahlia Murder. He was like "hey, nice shirt!" and by the time I got there she was having a conversation with these four random dudes. We ended up all hanging out together, getting very drunk, and staying out until 5:30 AM until everyone was sober enough to navigate their way home. He and I were friends at first, but over time I became attracted to him (he was always attracted to me). I broke up with my asshole ex for the last time in July 2012 and we got together three days later.

I think it's kind of scary how we met actually. We so easily could have never met! What are the chances that I would so randomly meet my dream dude who understands me better than anyone else, who has so much in common with me, and closely resembles the idea I had in my head of the type of dude I would end up with? Especially when I am the kind of person who usually finds it hard to find friends who I have enough in common with.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
1. Supplexed after she thought I was bullying her adopted brother I knew before he was adopted and in the Philippines. We got betterafterwards, like almost vaginal sex better, but she was a bit conscious about her taco being loose <apparently because she washorny all the time>.

2. She tried to kill me. Yep. The attempt was all kinds of "cheating" <hey, try to be sane when you're frigging 14 and juggling multiple groups of people at once, some involving horrible things> to me, sooooooooooo.... I beat her shit in. Still, ex #1 stopped me, along with her bro, and some other dude, we became friends, left the giant-ass circle of friends that flocked around me, met her a bit later at some club and apparently she had an abusive bf even back then, beat his shit on. jabbed her in the nose to assume dominance, and viola. Felt bad about beating her up when we started having a relationship, but she went all "don't beat yourself up over it", and I would just cringe. Every. Time.

3. He was the "friends since elementary school" from #1, Sasha didn't approve at all. Hilarious. He... kinda killed himself. It didn't fully involve me, but, I guess I didn't help. Sasha was just mad I used his identity for stuff, at the advisement of her "family friend". Some weird John Wu shit happened that I'm not a big fan of a while later.

4. Fanatic person who "wanted to have my babies"... it was.. fucking creepy, but hey, I was bored, thankfully she wasn't the one who tried to rape me <it was probably someone from her fucked up circle though>. She got preggers from what I heard, annnnd the implications of how... freaks me the fuck out.

5. I really don't remember much, dude was kinda meh, brothers with #6 though.

6. Trans pre-op bf, met through #5 <if you haven't realized it yet, I have an odd gift of not pissing off my exes, they sometimes piss me off though [Sasha]>. Snuck out of Vegas to meet him somewhere, had no idea where said "where" is, ended up at a gay bar and met him there, thought he was a she due to the crossdressing thing, blahblahblahblah stuff happened, he ended up following me home, did it all over my house, got pizza on my bed among other things, and bam, relationship that was so sex-oriented it hurt. Literally, we tried BDSM, not a big fan of getting things up my ass.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Since my last relationship was 16 years I don't remember before that much. but I met her standing in line at bar wearing a shirt that said 'the closest I've came to a 4.0 in college is my blood alcohol level"

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
Ex 1: met in school
Ex 2: met in school
Partner of 10 years - it was my freshman year of college during spring break - I was at the mall - I tried on a jacket and left my phone on the table - he found it - my mom called so he told her he has her phone - his voice sounded young so she thought he was a friend of mine and gave him my house number - he called and we hooked up the following Saturday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts