Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling somewhat..hopeless.
I've done everything to try and find my personality type, including look at threads where experiences as INFJs are discussed. I still don't trust myself in thinking I'm an INFJ. I know it sounds weird but can you tell me about yourself maybe to tell whether or no I am one. I know this is weird. It's just I really need to know and I've already posted in the What's my Personality!

I seem to be able to relate a lot with the functions or an INFJ but...something always...And I relate to other types too! Thanks guys~

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I don't think uncertainty about your personality type is something to feel hopeless about, surely? If you really are feeling that way, could it be due to other issues in your life at present?

I think that INFJs here describing ourselves and you then seeing if you were similar would be about the least effective method possible!!

Why not go for now with your being INFJ? You can admit to an element of uncertainty about this, keep an open mind, and in fulness of time you may realise that you are some other type - or that INFJ is indeed correct. But there's no huge urgency about this. "You are you" regardless.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Shouldn't worry....I was typed INFP for YEARS! As changes happen in life and we change / adapt to circumstances, I beleive it is possible to change types anyway.

As it stands I am only just typed as a 'J' function (53%) and often score as an INTP in some tests.

Pick the best fit!

Reactions: Reicheru

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Maybe with time you'll know. I thought I was an INFJ for a while but started to realize other characteristics about myself that most INFJs didn't seem to have. And my personality and functions have been effected by stress. So that's made it difficult to know. Just think about which functions you prefer using, or have usually preferred most of your life. At least that's what I took into consideration. I'm dominant Ne but due to changes in lifestyle and other emotional factors I spent a lot of time alone which made me feel like an introvert. It's been hard to determine my type still. I'm ENXP I think but I'm still trying to figure out the rest. Good luck, wish me luck too. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know it sounds weird but can you tell me about yourself maybe to tell whether or no I am one. I know this is weird. It's just I really need to know and I've already posted in the What's my Personality!
ask me? i wouldn't know which edge of the pond to first begin wading into, lol.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think uncertainty about your personality type is something to feel hopeless about, surely? If you really are feeling that way, could it be due to other issues in your life at present?

I think that INFJs here describing ourselves and you then seeing if you were similar would be about the least effective method possible!!

Why not go for now with your being INFJ? You can admit to an element of uncertainty about this, keep an open mind, and in fulness of time you may realise that you are some other type - or that INFJ is indeed correct. But there's no huge urgency about this. "You are you" regardless.
Yeah, it has to do with a lot of factors in my life. But I've tried everything else or I wouldn't be doing something so blunt, and...I need to find out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your avatar leads me to believe you're definitely NF

you sound more INFP to me
First of all, please don't tell me I'm anything just because of my avatar. I don't like that. And what I don't like even more is the fact that again, this is has always been step one since I started trying to find my type. People (especially thinking type people) automatically telling me I'm an INFP. And it's not like I haven't already looked into that type. I admit that I lapse into acting like an INxx type at times but I'm close to certain that I'm not INFP. I see myself as low on Fi. INFPs disagree that I'm INFP at all and I'm sick of it! I'm sorry but that's like you pushing me into turning around in circles again about my type. What made you think that?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe with time you'll know. I thought I was an INFJ for a while but started to realize other characteristics about myself that most INFJs didn't seem to have. And my personality and functions have been effected by stress. So that's made it difficult to know. Just think about which functions you prefer using, or have usually preferred most of your life. At least that's what I took into consideration. I'm dominant Ne but due to changes in lifestyle and other emotional factors I spent a lot of time alone which made me feel like an introvert. It's been hard to determine my type still. I'm ENXP I think but I'm still trying to figure out the rest. Good luck, wish me luck too. :)
Yes, it's the same with me. Actually, I think I'm at that point now. I always typed as INxP but than I began to realize that no matter how much I appear as a thinker, I have qualities that make it so that I'm more of a feeler overall. Such as a tendency to take things personally. Is it true that INFJs appear as thinkers because they project themselves as thinkers somehow? Because that resonates with me so much...... Everybody always tells me I think too much. And I'm always an emotional wreck during these times.

Yes, good luck...Now I'm worried though! Focus on what you were before? I was mostly likely an INTJ not so long ago and if not, an INTP... ! But I can't be one. I'm too...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And why is that?
The stereotypes are making it harder to focus on the truths and finding my type. Like the idea that we like liberal arts more than the sciences when I am better at the sciences. (even though I ENJOY liberal arts more) I like technological stuff more.

People also say weird things about INFJs like that they have visions. I've never had anything that extreme I do "intuitively' just know things but not to that extent. People also say we can often be compared to Jesus. That's so blown out of proportion. I mean anyone would wish they were that innocent. I wish I was one of those people who's personality is so obvious because nothing else fits them...not fair!

·
Registered
603 Posts
re: psychic visions & Jesus, well, if you're an outsider looking into these qualities, you'll tend to idealise them much more, seeing them as something mystical and unknown than "eh, that's just little ol' me." - especially since INFJs are comparatively uncommon, and therefore, even LESS understood.

i am not psychic. sometimes, i have unusually strong feelings about someone/a situation (and i think in pictures, so i daydream them too). if they have no immediate logical reason then there's usually an intuitive one underlying it - my mind's trying to tell me something - and what i fear'll happen often does happen. or it tries to. it just gets tiresome when you're the only one that trusts these internal warning signals.

and i am not Jesus, but i am pretty rad.

also, there isn't a lot i can decipher from you from the minimal information presented here, but you talk about uncovering truths, finding your type and the way you come across in general... it sounds a little INTPish to me. have you filled out one of the "what's my personality derp" forms?
i'm sure @The Proof was only trying to help in your search for your Myers-Briggs. it's not like we all fit neatly into one of 16 boxes.

Reactions: Vexilla Regis

·
Registered
186 Posts
Idk about all that but I thought I was a freak until I found out that their are other people in the world like me. I think ALOT, read alot, write alot, like to be alone, am aware when people feel uncomfortable, I forgive people almost instantly, I feel bad when I step on ants, ummm and my conscience is so idk aware, that If I do something I know is wrong it will eat at me. Sometimes I think im an INTJ cause I rationalize things alot too, but it's not the those four letters that define who I am. Sometimes I'm both lol. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re: psychic visions & Jesus, well, if you're an outsider looking into these qualities, you'll tend to idealise them much more, seeing them as something mystical and unknown than "eh, that's just little ol' me." - especially since INFJs are comparatively uncommon, and therefore, even LESS understood.

i am not psychic. sometimes, i have unusually strong feelings about someone/a situation (and i think in pictures, so i daydream them too). if they have no immediate logical reason then there's usually an intuitive one underlying it - my mind's trying to tell me something - and what i fear'll happen often does happen. or it tries to. it just gets tiresome when you're the only one that trusts these internal warning signals.

and i am not Jesus, but i am pretty rad.

also, there isn't a lot i can decipher from you from the minimal information presented here, but you talk about uncovering truths, finding your type and the way you come across in general... it sounds a little INTPish to me. have you filled out one of the "what's my personality derp" forms?
i'm sure @The Proof was only trying to help in your search for your Myers-Briggs. it's not like we all fit neatly into one of 16 boxes.
Well, I'm clearly a misunderstood person I can tell you that. Yeah, I mean I intuitively just know things and can tell what will most likely happen. I always have warning signals too and only notice the negative and people have to remind me to not focus on the negative. There's always a reason for something I've said that I can't explain but I know exists and when I tell people this they think I'm sort of..arrogant. This makes me angry and than I start acting extremely critical, sort of like an INTJ rather than an INFJ. I hate it when I be nice to people and they look at me as if I want something from them. Then later when I actually need something but it had nothing to do with my earlier generosity they give me an uneasy look. It hurts, it does. I know we all don't fit into nice neat boxes but I seem to be one of those who nearly doesn't fit at all. And I stare at people too. I don't know why.

I'm sure he was trying to help. What did I say to imply otherwise? I got frustrated. Sorry? 0-0

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Idk about all that but I thought I was a freak until I found out that their are other people in the world like me. I think ALOT, read alot, write alot, like to be alone, am aware when people feel uncomfortable, I forgive people almost instantly, I feel bad when I step on ants, ummm and my conscience is so idk aware, that If I do something I know is wrong it will eat at me. Sometimes I think im an INTJ cause I rationalize things alot too, but it's not the those four letters that define who I am. Sometimes I'm both lol. Hope it helps!
I think a lot. I like reading, (but I'm very picky about what I'm reading) I only write when I have to. I like writing analytical pieces of literature but I still only do it when I have to for an assignment. I like the arts a lot and wish I was better at them. So much of my time is spent randomly surfing the web because I might find something new to research. I like fanfiction and MBTI, a few other sites too. I'm scared to post things on facebook because everyone can see it. I don't get what's to special about it at all. I don't feel bad when I step on ants because I don't think they really felt anything. I feel bad when I might have caused a slow death. But if it's an animal, I feel very bad. And I love animals. I'm really inconsistent about what eats me up though. I think about it for a while but I still have a heart to tell white lies. And usually it only kills me to affect someone I care about. (this is a few number of people) I don't know if I'm considered sensitive or not on morals overall, I can't decide....there were a lot of reasons for both sides but I can't think of them now. >< I've considered them before but I never thought to keep them there. I should write them down. As for forgiveness, I forgive instantly, and would never had thought of not forgiving unless it truly unforgivable. Like it wouldn't be right to forgive.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well, I'm clearly a misunderstood person I can tell you that. Yeah, I mean I intuitively just know things and can tell what will most likely happen. I always have warning signals too and only notice the negative and people have to remind me to not focus on the negative. There's always a reason for something I've said that I can't explain but I know exists and when I tell people this they think I'm sort of..arrogant. This makes me angry and than I start acting extremely critical, sort of like an INTJ rather than an INFJ. I hate it when I be nice to people and they look at me as if I want something from them. Then later when I actually need something but it had nothing to do with my earlier generosity they give me an uneasy look. It hurts, it does. I know we all don't fit into nice neat boxes but I seem to be one of those who nearly doesn't fit at all. And I stare at people too. I don't know why.
i'm with you on the 'arrogant' thing. i've been called aloof, stubborn, dismissive, arrogant, self-assured, even domineering and a lot of Ne-users & Ts seem to take umbridge with my settling on just one possibility without being able to explain my reasons explicitly. yeah, when they dismiss you, it's easy to feel embittered... however, i always take cool delight in knowing i'm right, and that unspoken "i told you so" when it turns out to be so.
i've heard it's especially common for INxJs to come across as self-assured. however, once people get to know me better, i think they grow to appreciate my hunches more. :)
i stare too. i like to glean. sometimes people mistake that silent observation, or intensity, for a look of judgement when it's really not... i guess i can be imposing. it's not fun. hey! even if you're not an INFJ, i can still relate to your experiences.

well... sometimes i still wonder fleetingly about my type because i'm always stuck feeling the difference between myself and others (guess it's a 4 thing), but i always come back to INFJ, each time with more certainty than before. no worries. i lurked on this forum for months before i decided to don the INFJ label and come out. no person will ever perfectly fit their type mould, and i'm sure it will come to you in time. there's no shame in just putting INxJ or whatever if you feel so inclined until you narrow it down (if it even needs narrowing down)... MBTI's restricting in itself, it just 'indicates' a generalised description and it isn't perfect by any means, and i guess it's easy for some individuals to fall between the cracks of personality typing... have you tried other tests, like Socionics? i know it can't be easy, but label or not, your opinions are still welcome and appreciated, and you still belong. heck, it may even be easier to avoid stereotypes/typism! and you're always welcome here on the INFJ forum, and to PM me at any time. <3

I'm sure he was trying to help. What did I say to imply otherwise? I got frustrated. Sorry? 0-0
ah, it's just that your frustration bled through a little strongly, i guess that's just my parent Fe talking. :p i'm sure it's fine. nonetheless i hope i assisted you in some way LilyAskar.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I seem to be able to relate a lot with the functions or an INFJ but...something always...And I relate to other types too! Thanks guys~
Well the reason you relate is the fact that everyone has all 8 functions. They are just aligned differently per type. Also the fact you could be on the cusp with many of them, which just interacts with balance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm with you on the 'arrogant' thing. i've been called aloof, stubborn, dismissive, arrogant, self-assured, even domineering and a lot of Ne-users & Ts seem to take umbridge with my settling on just one possibility without being able to explain my reasons explicitly. yeah, when they dismiss you, it's easy to feel embittered... however, i always take cool delight in knowing i'm right, and that unspoken "i told you so" when it turns out to be so.
i've heard it's especially common for INxJs to come across as self-assured. however, once people get to know me better, i think they grow to appreciate my hunches more. :)
i stare too. i like to glean. sometimes people mistake that silent observation, or intensity, for a look of judgement when it's really not... i guess i can be imposing. it's not fun. hey! even if you're not an INFJ, i can still relate to your experiences.

well... sometimes i still wonder fleetingly about my type because i'm always stuck feeling the difference between myself and others (guess it's a 4 thing), but i always come back to INFJ, each time with more certainty than before. no worries. i lurked on this forum for months before i decided to don the INFJ label and come out. no person will ever perfectly fit their type mould, and i'm sure it will come to you in time. there's no shame in just putting INxJ or whatever if you feel so inclined until you narrow it down (if it even needs narrowing down)... MBTI's restricting in itself, it just 'indicates' a generalised description and it isn't perfect by any means, and i guess it's easy for some individuals to fall between the cracks of personality typing... have you tried other tests, like Socionics? i know it can't be easy, but label or not, your opinions are still welcome and appreciated, and you still belong. heck, it may even be easier to avoid stereotypes/typism! and you're always welcome here on the INFJ forum, and to PM me at any time. <3

ah, it's just that your frustration bled through a little strongly, i guess that's just my parent Fe talking. :p i'm sure it's fine. nonetheless i hope i assisted you in some way LilyAskar.
Yes, I just have this need to know about people because it kind of...tells me about the world since society is a big part of it. I'm finding INFJs easier to get along with than INTJs at the moment though. But this may not be because I'm more of an INFJ but because you tend to be more accepting of differences? Or consider how comfortable are more in general? I don't know... Sadly, still not getting closer to figuring it out.... My frustration is allowed to bleed through unless I know I'm going to be a loser for showing it in public. hehe. People who use Fe are a lot like parents. I always feel menaced with strong Fe users and yet safe? (I can't describe things) Like as if they are pushing me around because they want to benefit me.... Weird? Or am I mixing up Fe with someone else? ><

Yes I'm always thinking 'I told you so I told you so' and this annoys people but than I think 'your annoyed? Well, you deserve it! Because if you'd listened!... I mean it was so obvious,etcetcerc'

People think I'm self assured but it's quite the opposite. Me being not self assured makes me do the things I do to secure everything and somehow it makes me look self confident.

Oh, thank you I will PM you when the time is right~ ^^ My experiences so far talking to INFJs has been quite pleasant.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the reason you relate is the fact that everyone has all 8 functions. They are just aligned differently per type. Also the fact you could be on the cusp with many of them, which just interacts with balance.
But how do you determine how they aligned for an individual?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
But how do you determine how they aligned for an individual?
Take the test, read the functions, come to a conclusion. Live with it.

And I honestly mean the last part is the hardest. You also have to be open minded about it if through the years you gather more data about yourself to determine a shift in function using.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts