Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this isn't a typical path for an INFJ personality. Much less a female in general. I knew this from the start.

Soooooooooo... I am a little worried. Will it be hard to land a job being a girl? AM I DOOMED? Speak to me Ni, speak to me!!!:frustrating:

Are any of you guys in a computer related field and if so, how do you feel about it? Do you work with any females? Are you happy with your job or at least comfortable?

Any feedback or opinions would be great, Thanks!

Reactions: Pier 56

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
Absolutely NOT!!

1. We're not as limited by type as we might think we are, when it comes to fields of study and
2. even if we were Ni and Ti would both lend themselves very well toward IT, Ni is all about getting the root of a situation intuitively and Ti is all about fixing things... I associate Ti with what I call the "troubleshooter" mentality. I actually think many INFJs would make great IT people, programmers, website coders, designers, because we are such naturally analylitcal people...

But the bottom line is: pursue something you enjoy even if it's not listed in your types "list of preferred careers" because if you enjoy something you'll take more interest in it and the more interest you have in something, the better you'll be at it.

Edit: btw, if you know your stuff, being a girl would, if anything put you at more of an advantage, because many employers want to be viewed as "equal opportunity" and would thus want a diverse staff, but there is actually a shortage of skilled female IT workers, so you may find it really easy to find a job among graduation based on that.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Do you like IT? If you like IT then it shouldn't be much of a problem for you :)

But if your passion isn't in IT then perhaps it's time for you to study something else that you are passionate about,
Did you know what I studied a few years ago? I studied business! -_-
I chose business because of its job prospects, but I realised that my skills isn't in business. I suck at details, I suck at math.
This time round I studied something that I am passionate in, and school doesn't feel like school anymore, school becomes a fun place for me because I enjoy learning about my favorite subjects.

Always follow your heart, your heart will never lead you in the wrong direction, trust me, because I've been in your situation before in the past.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Absolutely NOT!!

1. We're not as limited by type as we might think we are, when it comes to fields of study and
2. even if we were Ni and Ti would both lend themselves very well toward IT, Ni is all about getting the root of a situation intuitively and Ti is all about fixing things... I associate Ti with what I call the "troubleshooter" mentality. I actually think many INFJs would make great IT people, programmers, website coders, designers, because we are such naturally analylitcal people...

But the bottom line is: pursue something you enjoy even if it's not listed in your types "list of preferred careers" because if you enjoy something you'll take more interest in it and the more interest you have in something, the better you'll be at it.

Edit: btw, if you know your stuff, being a girl would, if anything put you at more of an advantage, because many employers want to be viewed as "equal opportunity" and would thus want a diverse staff, but there is actually a shortage of skilled female IT workers, so you may find it really easy to find a job among graduation based on that.
I think it is as you say, and I find things like programming very fun for short periods of time, as if playing a puzzle game, but I get exhausted after a while. If Dementedbliss feels at home in IT, I see no problem, but the obvious pitfall for an INFJ in IT is the lack of human connection.

What are your thoughts about this, @Dementedbliss ?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I work in IT.
And it really depends on the field of IT I think. I'm not good at programming. But I am good at troubleshooting and fixing things.
Right now I'm a junior Database administrator.

In my opinion, one of our biggest assets in IT is that we can speak normally.
We can translate IT-speak to normal user-speak. Something that is, at least in my workplace, extremely rare.
We can empathize with the user problems which most of my co-workers often write off as whining. But when you make the translation for them they start to see the real issue the user has.

But the IT field is HUGE. It all depends on what specalisation you want to go for. But most important, do what makes you happy. Don't let yourself be limited by type or anything else.

·
Banned
764 Posts
@Dementedbliss
I had sort of created my own job for a while and ditched it when the market crisis hit. Pay was 50-70$/h

There are plenty of opportunities. To me it was - do I want to do this for the rest of the life. Obviously not. I don't really bother with what I do as long as I love to do it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
No you are not doomed! I think there are many INFJs that make really good troubleshooters and problem solvers. The important to remember is balance. My own career demands strong problem solving abilities, which I can deliver, but it has become increasingly important for me to find that balance. I need a lot of rest and time to recover in between days of intense mental acrobatics. Otherwise, my moods can be of very low energy. So when I'm at home it is important to get adequate sleep, get some fresh air, and do some contemplation. But what is most important is that when I'm at home I get to move at my own pace.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know this isn't a typical path for an INFJ personality. Much less a female in general. I knew this from the start.

Soooooooooo... I am a little worried. Will it be hard to land a job being a girl? AM I DOOMED? Speak to me Ni, speak to me!!!:frustrating:

Are any of you guys are in a computer related field and if so, how do you feel about it? Do you work with any females? Are you happy with your job or at least comfortable?

You're doomed. Being a female will probably mean men treat you as less competent. You might be seen as "bitchy" when really you're just being assertive. But a man in the same situation is given praise. It isn't fair.

You'll probably get a job easily. You're salient as a woman which means you'll stand out to someone with the authority to hire. Really the person hiring you is deciding how well you'll interface with the people currently in the organization. That's their highest priority. So being a woman means you're probably better at soft skills requiring emotional intelligence. You got this. Good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know this isn't a tyThink path for an INFJ personality. Much less a female in general. I knew this from the start.

Are any of you guys are in a computer related field and if so, how do you feel about it? Do you work with any females? Are you happy with your job or at least comfortable?

IT is a perfect field I believe for almost anyone. Think of IT as an subway, on a global level. There is so many routes you take. There is no doubt you can find a comfortable specialty. I personly truly feel Network Administrator is a perfect field to get into as an INFJ. Go ahead, ask me why

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're doomed. Being a female will probably mean men treat you as less competent. You might be seen as "bitchy" when really you're just being assertive. But a man in the same situation is given praise. It isn't fair.
THIS!! This is my biggest concern. In the classes I'm taking right now, at one point or another we have to work in groups. And I'm usually in a group with all guys. And they don't take me seriously. Actually i can feel them getting attitude with me for disagreeing with anything they say. I can't handle the fact that these computer techy guys can't HANDLE being wrong. It pisses me off. That and being just flat out sexist. Guys don't like when women are better at what they do than they are.
So i have to sit there and not contribute anything because they basically wont let me...
However, casually I can get along with them. They are just so socially idiotic. However I'm not so worried about that since the job itself isn't group type work. Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IT is a perfect field I believe for almost anyone. Think of IT as an subway, on a global level. There is so many routes you take. There is no doubt you can find a comfortable specialty. I personly truly feel Network Administrator is a perfect field to get into as an INFJ. Go ahead, ask me why
Why? :D
I actually have an ISFJ friend who was a network admin and I thought it sounded like such a chill job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it is as you say, and I find things like programming very fun for short periods of time, as if playing a puzzle game, but I get exhausted after a while. If Dementedbliss feels at home in IT, I see no problem, but the obvious pitfall for an INFJ in IT is the lack of human connection.

What are your thoughts about this, @Dementedbliss ?
Well, i don't want my career to be my life. So I don't want to over think it.
IT is basic, pays decent, and I like helping people and fixing computer issues. I want to be able to build them myself some day... it's just so cool have that kind of useful skill i think.
I feel at a disadvantage for lack of Si, but i know once I know what I'm doing, I'll be set forever. I always like solving computer problems. It's like a good mystery that needs cracked. >:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I work in IT.
And it really depends on the field of IT I think. I'm not good at programming. But I am good at troubleshooting and fixing things.
Right now I'm a junior Database administrator.

In my opinion, one of our biggest assets in IT is that we can speak normally.
We can translate IT-speak to normal user-speak. Something that is, at least in my workplace, extremely rare.
We can empathize with the user problems which most of my co-workers often write off as whining. But when you make the translation for them they start to see the real issue the user has.

But the IT field is HUGE. It all depends on what specalisation you want to go for. But most important, do what makes you happy. Don't let yourself be limited by type or anything else.
I would love to be a kind of bridge builder in IT. Like, business oriented. Talking to clients, explaining concepts... that would be cool. Like you said (and I'm so glad you brought this to light) we can explain things in SIMPLE terms to help the customers understand. I'm having a hard time grasping some things because computer teachers are just awful at teaching. I need analogies, hands on work, EXAMPLES... and peers that understand how to work in a team =__= these things aren't happening. Everything is to Si. I'm in java right now and what is so simple is made to look so complicated because my teacher nit picks at lines not being spaced a certain way, yet doesn't even tell you what anything your coding literally MEANS. ugh.

But I'm just thinking small for now until i get an actual job... got a little ranty, sorry. :p

What are IT interviews like?

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
It depends. Give me a cubicle over an open plan office any day ;)
I think it is because for the time being, it feels as if I've been stuck in a cubicle unable to move for years! :eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
@Dementedbliss
Cool I get to break it down! First off being INFJ your gonna want to have some human contact. This is one field in IT that fullfills that need. Not only that, but will also give you little breaks from people contact from time to time to ponder issues and troubleshoot. This field is largely based around helping people with their technical issues and help the company realize the big picture involving the ability of their network. Everyone loves you for it and look up to you for your expertise when you get good. It's a perfect reward system for doing a good job (in my head anyway).

There is alot of room for creativity and intuition. You likely wont be micro managed and you will never stop learning. And the more you learn the better your pay.

Above all else you won't be stuck in a cubicle and the stress levels are to a minimal for this career.

And that's just the tip of the iceburg. It's an INFJ utopia as far as profitable professions go. There is a good chance we'd excell at it to be one of the best.

·
Registered
77 Posts
@Dementedbliss
Cool I get to break it down! First off being INFJ your gonna want to have some human contact. This is one field in IT that fullfills that need. Not only that, but will also give you little breaks from people contact from time to time to ponder issues and troubleshoot. This field is largely based around helping people with their technical issues and help the company realize the big picture involving the ability of their network. Everyone loves you for it and look up to you for your expertise when you get good. It's a perfect reward system for doing a good job (in my head anyway).

There is alot of room for creativity and intuition. You likely wont be micro managed and you will never stop learning. And the more you learn the better your pay.

Above all else you won't be stuck in a cubicle and the stress levels are to a minimal for this career.

And that's just the tip of the iceburg. It's an INFJ utopia as far as profitable professions go. There is a good chance we'd excell at it to be one of the best.
Thank you HumanRenaisance, I have entered my first year of IT study after several years in science. I only just figured out that I want to do something in IT. I am actually leaning towards game design, the thought of being able to make people happy with games and stuff really gets me excited...and I love art and level design also sounds amazing. But the degree I want to transfer to encompasses several different fields of IT, so it is nice to have a back-up plan that I can go into.

I gotta admit I love people though, so working on a team or as part of an organisation would be perfect.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Dementedbliss

Wow what a great break down!! Respect, knowledge, interaction, migration and privacy too?
I'll definitely search for this profession in the future. It sounds too good to be true xD!
I'm going to take my computer electives geared towards network administration for sure now that I know this exists.
I don't really want to be in a cubical either...
Thank you so much for the information! ^__^

Reactions: aHumanRenaisance

·
Registered
362 Posts
You will get your share of jerks who do not like the idea of girls hanging out in the boys' secret nerd hideout. On the other hand, you will probably not have trouble getting hired if you are competent. I doubt being INFJ will cause many problems as there are a variety of careers to suit nearly anyone interested. I tend to find a lot of elitism among the more isolated I.T. careers. I find it useful to have a group of individuals to vent to about irritations at work.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts