Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, if I am then that's fine too. I'll just wallow in my uniqueness and individuality - yet again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Of course, if I am then that's fine too. I'll just wallow in my uniqueness and individuality - yet again.
I used to be what I'd call a 'part time slob" in my youth. Once I was living in my own place, I got much more cognizant of my environmental state. However, these days, although my house is mostly immaculate, and definitely clean, my guest room is more or less a giant closet w/clothes draped over the bed. Thank God i can just close the doors when ppl come over.

Also, there have been very few times that my car hasn't looked like a tornado blew through it. It's not what I'd call "dirty" b/c it's not like I eat in there or anything, it's just papers, CDs, random shit, etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You're not the only INTJ who's a slob. I just don't care enough to do anything more than keep my place from being outright dirty (Ie mold, mud, food crumbs, ants, ect) so everything is all over the place all the time, most notably my cloths. I can be very clean, if I have a roommate/girl who cares what the place looks like, in which case I'll maintain whatever level of clenliness they desire, but left to my own devises I'm a slob.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I have a lot of 'stuff' hanging around in my room (books, paper, useful items, a collection of water bottles that just keeps growing etc.) but my room's not dirty (I think I've eaten maybe one lunch and a couple of biscuits in here ever and there are no crumbs or dirt. Well, bar the soot in the corner but that was my landlord's fault when he tried to fix the radiator and didn't clean up). Everything's also organised in such a way I can get pretty much anything I need without much looking and there are specific sections designated to certain objects (clothes, for example, go on the chair and the wardrobe but nowhere else).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I moved into my house 4 years ago and didn't clean my room for 5 years and it didn't look to bad. Then I spent about 10 hours cleaning it 2 months ago. Most of my stuff is well organized, and my house would be cleaner if the rest of my family didn't live here, except for my dad, him and I never leave our "areas". Hell, it would look like nobody lived here minus the cars in the garage and the computer stuff in the basement.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm a slob, and I binge clean. The only thing keeping me from leaving plates sitting around in places where they don't belong (counter, dishwasher, etc) after eating, is that I don't want to deal with the dogs trying to lick them. I have shoes in random places wherever I took them off in the house, and blankets strewn about... and my laundry system is simply to build a dirty pile on the floor... gather to take to the laundry... clean laundry sits in basket all week, and when pile has retreived all it's clean clothes from basket, I start over. When everything starts to get annoying, I go on a massive binge clean, where absolutely everything goes into it's palce, surfaces are wiped down and disinfected, and the floor vacuumed. The dogs get brushed, their teeth cleaned, and sometimes a bath. The bird cages gets cleaned.

It's pretty and clean for a couple days, then it starts getting cluttered again. I know that the pair of shoes I want is under the coffee table, and my hairbrush lodged somewhere between a particular pile of clothes.... because I know where I put things or set things down... but nobody else would be able to find something if I requested it by name.

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love you all.

Well, except for the domestic surgeon who had the mouse, and I'm sure he or she is a very nice person too in his or her own way. Not that I blame him or her wrt the mouse.

·
Banned
472 Posts
I love you all.

Well, except for the domestic surgeon who had the mouse, and I'm sure he or she is a very nice person too in his or her own way. Not that I blame him or her wrt the mouse.
I leave my clothes around too if that makes you feel better. Doesn't factor into my definition of clean. :) So my natural tendency is to be a slob. Though after the mouse... I just felt dirty knowing it could have crawled around on them. So.
I still don't wash the dishes until I have nothing to eat on anymore though!
Yes, I lied about the surgical room. Hyperbole for aesthetic's sake always gets me in the ass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a very small selection of clothing, so I've got to do laundry at least once a week. I've got two plates, a bowl, a coffee mug, and an assortment of cutlery - just enough to last me a day or two.

I should probably note that I've perfected this method over many years, because I know what I'd be like otherwise.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My theory is, at the point at which an INTJ no longer thinks that keeping a clean room is worth the effort [likely due to either "more important/urgent things to do" or other humans invading and disrupting the space], s/he will no longer do so.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I think the misconception comes from the confusion of SJ and NJ. SJ is more about concrete organization, and as such, they would tend toward cleaner surroundings. NJ is more of a mental organization, and I'd wager, given the inferiority of sensing, that it would lead to an overzealous need to clean in duress and general no-shits-given apathy otherwise.

I know of an INTP professor whose office is SPOTLESS. Neatly organized....rarely a pen even out of place. Now ask him to commit to something "we'll see" "Oh I don't mind if its late I guess I have to take off points (never does)" Goes on 10-15 minute tangents in class that somehow ALWAYS help us understand things deeper (even if it wasn't the current topic). I'd even wager their Si being higher than Se would lend them to such environmental organization.

·
Registered
11,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the misconception comes from the confusion of SJ and NJ. SJ is more about concrete organization, and as such, they would tend toward cleaner surroundings. NJ is more of a mental organization, and I'd wager, given the inferiority of sensing, that it would lead to an overzealous need to clean in duress and general no-shits-given apathy otherwise.
Very well said. It isn't just that I give no shits, if I'm telling the truth. I'm also tone deaf in the area of visual 'organization' and order. When it comes to this stuff I'm brutally function-beats-form for most things. Objects drift, intermingle and pile up with each other because I just honestly can't see any cognitive reason why socks can't be stored on a bookshelf - it's a vertical surface and it gets them out of the way, doesn't it? And when I need them I'll know where they are.

I fiercely object to wasted cycles, so I'm a real victim of 'why have a special place for them when it just means I'll have to walk to that place to store AND fetch them, and walk back again?' Simply for the sake of the way that it looks? Pbbblllttt. I guess I just don't care enough about the way that stuff looks.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Very well said. It isn't just that I give no shits, if I'm telling the truth. I'm also tone deaf in the area of visual 'organization' and order. When it comes to this stuff I'm brutally function-beats-form for most things. Objects drift, intermingle and pile up with each other because I just honestly can't see any cognitive reason why socks can't be stored on a bookshelf - it's a vertical surface and it gets them out of the way, doesn't it? And when I need them I'll know where they are.

I fiercely object to wasted cycles, so I'm a real victim of 'why have a special place for them when it just means I'll have to walk to that place to store AND fetch them, and walk back again?' Simply for the sake of the way that it looks? Pbbblllttt. I guess I just don't care enough about the way that stuff looks.
I agree, but my only gripe would be finding things. I LOATHE looking for things, and I quite frequently don't recall putting things down. As such, I like to have a specific place for things so I don't have to question their location. I don't sleep well in an unmade bed because of the lumpy feeling of the covers. Other than that, I agree with ya.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I eat my food in order so I'm sure you can guess what type of person I am, but don't sweat it. Honestly, this whole "please tell me I'm not the only one," thing is really detrimental. Be yourself, as cliched as that phrase is, and be comfortable in your own self.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to say that for most of my life my room has always been more or less of a mess and I dislike that. I keep thinking that there must be a perfect order of storing all my stuff so that they're neatly put away and I can always find what I'm looking for. The only reason I think I've been so messy is because I just have too much stuff and not enough room and storage space for it. So I've just given up on cleaning it all up.

At worst it's been so that I can only move around like a ballet dancer because there are only small spots of open floor visible :D

Because I spend so much time in my room, living in this mess, I actually think it has an effect on me, Like if I could put all the stuff in this "perfect order" I could actually think clearer overall.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts