Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In "Please Understand Me II", page 20, Keirsey says that temperament is a "configuration of inclinations", your pre-disposition, "the inborn form of human nature", or "hardware"; and that character is a "configuration of habits", your disposition, your "emergent form, which develops through the interaction of temperament and environment", or "software". The means you were born with, say, a Rational temperament (NT) and your character is developed on top of that temperament.

The Enneagram books by Palmer and Riso say that your personality is developed on top of your Essence. Should we conclude then, since character is a "configuration of habits", that personality is similar to character (in these definitions)? That would mean your Enneagram type (personality) is developed on top of your temperament.

Let's say you're born with an NT temperament (inclinations toward ingenuity, will power, autonomy), you could develop into anything you want to but something in your childhood caused you develop into Type 8 (fear of being controlled). Do you agree with this analogy?

Also, we could say that there is a mild correlation between temperament and Enneagram type, they're not completely independent of each other, because not every piece of software will run on every piece of hardware. Thoughts?

·
Registered
388 Posts
In "Please Understand Me II", page 20, Keirsey says that temperament is a "configuration of inclinations", your pre-disposition, "the inborn form of human nature", or "hardware"; and that character is a "configuration of habits", your disposition, your "emergent form, which develops through the interaction of temperament and environment", or "software". The means you were born with, say, a Rational temperament (NT) and your character is developed on top of that temperament.

The Enneagram books by Palmer and Riso say that your personality is developed on top of your Essence. Should we conclude then, since character is a "configuration of habits", that personality is similar to character (in these definitions)? That would mean your Enneagram type (personality) is developed on top of your temperament.

Let's say you're born with an NT temperament (inclinations toward ingenuity, will power, autonomy), you could develop into anything you want to but something in your childhood caused you develop into Type 8 (fear of being controlled). Do you agree with this analogy?

Also, we could say that there is a mild correlation between temperament and Enneagram type, they're not completely independent of each other, because not every piece of software will run on every piece of hardware. Thoughts?

Makes sense. I'm an INTJ, and that's permanent. I think under the proper circumstances though, I could change from an enneagram type 5 to 6 or 8 or even 1 or 4.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, as long as we're going with this analogy, I'm a software person and I know a piece of software behaves a little differently on different pieces of hardware. It's never the designed behavior of the software that is the result, but it's the behavior of the software running on top the hardware that is real. So the system is software combined with hardware.

So the combined behavior of Type 8 running on top NT will be different from the combined behavior of Type 8 running on top of SJ. If we are to unify these theories, we have to account for these nuances, which I don't think have been addressed. Thoughts on that?

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
First of all, the jury's still out on the whole nature/nurture issue, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet, regardless of who affirms one over the other.

Next, I would classify MBTI as one's phenomenological orientation, or even organization. It's how we process information and situate ourselves in midst of all this information. The enneagram seems to be more of an internal perspective of how we channel, deal with, respond to and interpret our emotions.

In both cases, I don't think you can make any absolute statement about which is hardware and which is software. It really could be one or the other, or both, or neither.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Interesting. I think this is just an analogy, but a good one.

The way you explained it, having both of your posts in mind, is sort of how I think of it but in different words. Our hardware or cognitive functions together with our personality (enneagram) give us our behaviours (or most of them).

I also suspect cognitive functions (not necessarily NT/SJ etc. as explained by the MBTI) are nature, not nurture.
When it comes to the enneagram I feel more split. I like the theory that all have birth dispositions as active/responsive or neutral babies and evolve into 1 of 3 enneatypes. Like pokémon. I guess this 'disposition' would be hardware aswell.
Source>Personality Types: Enneagram

All in all I very much agree with your anology, it resonates with my own world view. It's witty, and it works.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also, as long as we're going with this analogy, I'm a software person and I know a piece of software behaves a little differently on different pieces of hardware. It's never the designed behavior of the software that is the result, but it's the behavior of the software running on top the hardware that is real. So the system is software combined with hardware.

So the combined behavior of Type 8 running on top NT will be different from the combined behavior of Type 8 running on top of SJ. If we are to unify these theories, we have to account for these nuances, which I don't think have been addressed. Thoughts on that?
Makes sense. An INFP type 4 and an INTP type 4 might both seek similar goals, but they'll achieve them in a very different manner. To an outsider they might look similar, but in the mind they would be totally different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts