Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I will say is subjective, I'm not an expert in psychology, it's a mean to open a debate.

So there is this term: temperament, which is used to differentiate the genetic determination on our behaviour over the plasticity of the brain, which we can call personality. And it got me thinking, why there're people on this forum who say that your personality can not change unless you have brain damage or lived a traumatic experience. Now the use and the meaning of a word depends of its history and in which context its used. And so from there we could suspect that either Myers and Briggs got a rough idea of temperament, or that they mixed temperament and personality. They probably did the second, so we can conclude here that personality types aren't totally fixed by your genes and thus it is false to say that personality types don't change, they do, and you can even change it if you're willing to work on it.

Now a bit more of justification. A person, before they can self-assess a questionnaire, they socialize and their brain developped by a lot since they were born, thus we can be sure that the mind of this person is already side by side with their temperament, and their personality could even have its toll on the temperament, or the opposite. And I'm sorry to say, but all the personality questionnaire are based on the honesty and the understanding of the person we want to assess their personality. Thus, unless we took precautions to separate the personality from the temparement, we do not know which one is "speaking". So the a posteriori justification of the personality test with brains scan is basically making a divination and then trying to justify by any means necessary to say that this divination was mostly right. And for a first draft, that's great, even in science, but we can do better. We can from the start try to differentiate the temperament from the personality. Even if it's known that the distinction is blurry, particularly as we grow older, we can do something about it. Like actually assessing the temperament of young children, when the genes "speak" the most. And because, most of the times, psychology is used within the definition of who is healthy and who may suffer the most in society, temperament is measured as to know what could bring the child to suffer if we only let the genes "speak". It's not to build a hierarchy of the temperaments, who is healthy or not, but it's to simply assume that not everyone is the same and allow us to concretize this saying "From each according to [their] ability, to each according to [their] needs" in the best way.

From there we enter a new ground in psychology, free of all the test of personalities there are on this forum cause we try to heal and help the mind, directly. I'm currently trying to make my mind on this and there's a lot, for the moment I'm not independent at all and need the help of experts, and I'll probably need them for a long time as I'm more into social sciences. Basically, from my sources, a good personality theory (not temperament) is the following one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_therapy . Now, it's not to say that MBTI and the others are bad, personality doesn't mean the same and the context is very different. There are no opposition between them, as of yet, but this theory contains in itself the core idea that you can change your personality, if it didn't, then why would you go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist in the first place. We wouldn't be able to help people in the way psychology allow us to. Oh and by the way, it's up to you to say if you feel good, healthy and adapted with your environnement, psychologist and psychiatrist are just there to help you achieve what you want.

So let's take a step back, we have a cluster of temperament theories, a cluster of personality theories separate from the temperament, and a cluster of personality theories not separate from the temperament (or it's very unclear to say the least). The first two clusters seem to be meant to work together and to expand to every psychotherapy. While the third cluster, I don't know, not in psychotherapy, but somewhere else, I really shouldn't speak about it, I don't understand those personality theories, like, not at all.

So here is my conclusion: you can change your type, even your traits, unless its your temperament and you like it, cause you can compensate it with your personality, if you don't.

Enjoy :heart: :wink:

My source is a french pragmatist psychologist guy:

A temperament theory I find attracting: Structure of Temperament Questionnaire (STQ) or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_Temperament_Questionnaire

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Interesting topic, thank you. I will have to reread your post and look into it more.
But so far I'm finding temperament a more useful concept than personality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts