Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm certainly temperamental, at least inwardly. One moment, I'll be elated, full of inspiration and eager to learn, create, etc. The next, I'll be fiercely contemptuous, angry, unmotivated or depressed. Then, slowly, I'll go back up to a normal attitude.

I'm not bipolar, and these episodes usually don't last longer than a few hours to a day, at most. They're rapidly changing attitudes, usually in response to some stimuli: a class I hate, a sad book, an inspiring work of art/music, unfulfilled standards for my work... Yet, overall, I'm very calm and stable, and most things fail to upset me. "Temperamental" is the last word that would pop into my friends' minds if they had to describe me.

And yet, sometimes I think I'm crazy. Perfect example: today I got an assload of work done, read a nice book, churned out some art and felt pretty happy. Then I suddenly felt overwhelmed and had this heavy, oppressive feeling in my chest. It's still lingering somewhat, but I'm fine now, and perplexed, to say the least.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just me?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm certainly temperamental, at least inwardly. One moment, I'll be elated, full of inspiration and eager to learn, create, etc. The next, I'll be fiercely contemptuous, angry, unmotivated or depressed. Then, slowly, I'll go back up to a normal attitude.

I'm not bipolar, and these episodes usually don't last longer than a few hours to a day, at most. They're rapidly changing attitudes, usually in response to some stimuli: a class I hate, a sad book, an inspiring work of art/music, unfulfilled standards for my work... Yet, overall, I'm very calm and stable, and most things fail to upset me. "Temperamental" is the last word that would pop into my friends' minds if they had to describe me.

And yet, sometimes I think I'm crazy. Perfect example: today I got an assload of work done, read a nice book, churned out some art and felt pretty happy. Then I suddenly felt overwhelmed and had this heavy, oppressive feeling in my chest. It's still lingering somewhat, but I'm fine now, and perplexed, to say the least.

This is the story of my existence.

My emotions burn, but I don't know how to manage them, so I don't. Rather, I distract and entertain myself endlessly so not to burden anyone else.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I can get very temperamental when I'm driving... but some people should just not drive, period. It's all in good fun though, because I'll usually get to the place I was driving to, rant for a couple of minutes, make everyone laugh, then enjoy that hyperactivity that my anxiousness left me.

I can get pretty angry when people are just being stupid for the sake of being stupid. Just a couple of hours ago, I had a jackass telling me the bible has been saying that the world is gonna end and that everyone will be judged and.... ugh I couldn't resist but to go into ape mode and tear him a new mental asshole.

·
Registered
534 Posts

That happens to me too. I can get the feeling of being on top of the world then the next moment I'm nonchalant, brooding or anxious. Then it would linger for a while but finally I regain myself. Yesterday,I watched my favorite television show, chat with friends and plotted ideas for my comic/novel felt relaxed and happy. My dad was talking to me about the way things are going to be in basic training for the Air Force(he was Army though he was giving a "possiblity of what to expect"). I read about what would happen so in "all my arrogance" I still listened. He talked in more detail about the folding of the clothes, the daily grind of how things happen and other protocols. It was just during that moment, I felt an overwhelming pressure. My mind thought of hundreds of possibilities of things could happen( I blame that on my imagination) but I had a strange chest feeling. It frustrated me how I got ruffled so easy. Then it finally calmed down. I am most of the time calm, relaxed and jovial and my friends know that. However, it seems I can be tempermental.

Reactions: Aku and Saboteur

·
Registered
293 Posts
I go through this sometimes, but not as often as the other people in this thread. It did seem to happen ALOT more when I was younger. Now I'm in a stable, good mood most of the time.
It could very well be due to my age and circumstances.

I'm nineteen, living with my parents, attending post-high school (community college), working a remedial job, and trying not to be deeply, fervently jealous of my more determined and decisive friends, one of whom has a full ride at Duke University and another––the one I'm dating, as a matter of fact––who is on the President's list and has been nominated for Emerging Scholar of the Year at a local school.

I know what you're thinking: Shut up, log out of Personality Cafe, and do something about it. Well, that "something" is precisely the area of confusion for me. How should I act? What should I do? I don't know; I'm directionless, which leaves me unmotivated and undetermined.

(I don't know how I'm going to feel after actually posting this, but it's necessary to mention before I do so that [Disclaimer:] this didn't start out as a quasi-journal entry. Sorry.)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm 34.

I've been fighting with this stuff constantly. My biggest issue is that I feel bad for doing the things I want to do, and don't want to do the things I "should" do. Over time, I've had it drummed into my head that spending money on anything I actually want is frivolous. You should be saving for a rainy day, or retirement. I feel like I should be learning to program instead of just sitting and playing a video game or reading a book, or just .. sitting.

Mostly it's because I've been trying to listen to what other people have been telling me and trying to live like they do. I would often find myself trying to figure out what I SHOULD do instead of what I WANT to do .. and because of that, I'd end up sitting and not doing anything at all.

My answer has become to find ways to move my body; when I was in my teens I rode my bike all over the place. In my 20s, I'd more or less wander the streets listening to music on minidisc. When I was at the local college that had a pool, I'd go swimming at 6am before class. Now, I bowl.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the story of my existence.

My emotions burn, but I don't know how to manage them, so I don't. Rather, I distract and entertain myself endlessly so not to burden anyone else.
Try a hobby--for me, art, writing and music are the best forms of emotional expression. Distracting yourself from them does not work. It's like jumping in a falling elevator, in the hope you'll stay in mid-air the moment it crashes into the ground. Gravity still says you're falling downward, and you'll die regardless of your jumping.
...Wow, intense example. But I digress.

I struggled with this for a while, too. It's important to challenge yourself: reach out beyond the comfort of merely thinking of what could happen. Don't rationalize your emotions or think, "So-and-so has his own burdens, so if I were to talk to him about my problems, [insert hundreds of possibilities here]". It's a trap most INTP's fall into. And don't ever discredit the validity of your feelings. Screw social expectations, screw "pride", screw Ti telling you you're being irrational. Emotions exist for a reason, like it or not, and you are inextricably tied to and affected by them. Whether you believe it's an evolutionary byproduct or the result of divine creation--it doesn't matter.

Keep a journal. Whenever you feel crappy, write down the date, the circumstances, what you felt, and list possible reasons/triggers for the mood. Note how much you've slept, what you've eaten, what people have said to you--reflect on your emotions. Then use your analytical mind to your advantage. Compare those records to other instances in which you've felt similarly; identify recurring causes and feelings. Be objective about it. Don't lie to yourself or try to "cover up" what you've felt to make yourself feel better. However "embarrassing" it may be, it will ultimately lead to your growth and betterment. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, here; I can empathize with what you're going through and hope you're able to overcome it.

Once you identify their causes, you can manage them better. Change your outlook on stimuli that trigger those emotions if they're unavoidable. Try to understand why something makes you feel a certain way. Vent your frustration and indecision somehow.

Well, that "something" is precisely the area of confusion for me. How should I act? What should I do? I don't know; I'm directionless, which leaves me unmotivated and undetermined.
Ask yourself these questions (don't feel obliged to answer on this forum, but writing them down and thinking about them may help):

What are your interests?
What do you enjoy doing?
What subjects are appealing to you? (MBTI seems to be one; do you like psychology?)
What are/were your recreational pastimes?
What do you find yourself doing most of the time?
Did you ever aspire to be anything specific as a kid?
What motivates you? Are you feeling challenged enough at your school/job? Do you think being challenged would motivate you?
Are you afraid of being incompetent? Is this preventing you from doing something you like? Why?
Etc...

Don't compare yourself to other people. I cannot stress this enough. It always leads to resentment, and makes you feel incompetent, meaning you're less likely to try, meaning you don't fulfill your goals, meaning you feel even more incompetent. Vicious circle.

Do you have anyone you can reach out to or talk to? It helps to get second opinions on things (i.e. asking what you used to do as a kid), especially if you feel directionless. Toss around ideas with others and try to set goals, little by little. Don't be afraid to rely on other people. I know this is a turn-off for a lot of INTP's--personally, I want to feel competent and "extraordinary," so I always find myself leaping at some huge project or unfeasible goal, without asking for help. Don't do that! Chances are, you won't fulfill your standards or expectations and will feel disappointed, which will make you less inclined to try again. =/

I'll stop rambling now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mm, cannoli.
It fills me with sweet, sugary goodness. :crazy:

I'm noticing a pattern here... wasted potential, mundane tasks or problems affecting their grand, master plans = temperamental behavior in INTP's.
It's like we get all hyped about something, realize how many things can go wrong, then revert back into cynical grouches.

I personally get irritated when I have to spend hours doing "busywork" (i.e., all content learned in school that I will forget in less than two years) and when people interrupt my thinking, but I wouldn't call that temperamental.

I can get very temperamental when I'm driving...
The prospect of driving unnerves me. I can see myself hitting a pedestrian and not even realizing it.
To say the least, I get defensive and temperamental when people bring up the fact I still haven't gotten my permit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's some incomplete thoughts on this:

I have noticed a trend in me that begins with having a great day, I get a lot done, I feel great and then suddenly I feel the worst without a clear reason. This seems to happen when I feel unusually optimistic out of no where I can determine and get things done, like a spike in my normally flat steady line of energy. Then some hours later I feel terrible out of no where and my energy drops taking it a long time to return to normal. I always assumed it was a dopamine imbalance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.