Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any other INFPs found themselves relating extremely well to some aspects of other types? I, myself, when I first started studying the Myers-Briggs types, was convinced at first that I was an INTP. I used to be highly competitive, practically oblivious to how cocky I was about my intelligence, had an extreme drive for success (and to an extent still do), had a focus on efficiency (for example, finding faster ways to complete assignments than my peers in junior high), had perfectionistic tendencies (scheduling out my day to the extreme), looked at people more of how they would be "useful" and trying to figure them out rather than being open to simply have a connection with them, and a few times made jokes or comments without much awareness that I could have been hurting others (I highly value honesty and try to be as direct as possible), and often finding people in general confusing. Perhaps this is as simple as the fact that I was raised by an INTP - my dad. And even though I've learned a lot from him about the world, he taught me very little about socializing and being compassionate towards others. That I basically learned through experience, over the last few years especially. In terms of other types, I also have always loved adrenaline, perhaps a bit like an Artisan, no? And in comparison to Guardians, I also hold a lot of value in my own personal past and experiences (although I don't put much value in tradition in general, other my own - my roots as a child, which also means I have a hard time with change).

Anyway, pardon my long post. I'd just like to know if anyone else finds themselves identifying quite well sometimes with other types? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Have any other INFPs found themselves relating extremely well to some aspects of other types? I, myself, when I first started studying the Myers-Briggs types, was convinced at first that I was an INTP. I used to be highly competitive, practically oblivious to how cocky I was about my intelligence, had an extreme drive for success (and to an extent still do), had a focus on efficiency (for example, finding faster ways to complete assignments than my peers in junior high), had perfectionistic tendencies (scheduling out my day to the extreme), looked at people more of how they would be "useful" and trying to figure them out rather than being open to simply have a connection with them, and a few times made jokes or comments without much awareness that I could have been hurting others (I highly value honesty and try to be as direct as possible), and often finding people in general confusing. Perhaps this is as simple as the fact that I was raised by an INTP - my dad. And even though I've learned a lot from him about the world, he taught me very little about socializing and being compassionate towards others. That I basically learned through experience, over the last few years especially. In terms of other types, I also have always loved adrenaline, perhaps a bit like an Artisan, no? And in comparison to Guardians, I also hold a lot of value in my own personal past and experiences (although I don't put much value in tradition in general, other my own - my roots as a child, which also means I have a hard time with change).

Anyway, pardon my long post. I'd just like to know if anyone else finds themselves identifying quite well sometimes with other types? Thanks!
The things in bold screamed enneatype three to me. I think life experiences can certainly shape motivations and drives. Type profiles can be really one dimensional, so I think you can hold a lot of mixed traits whatever type you are. Solely looking at cognitive processes is often the only way to get a grasp on type.

The efficiency sounds Te-like and the past experiences sounds si-like. So I think you've typed yourself in the right group at least -> istj/estj/infp/enfp [fi ne si te]

For what it's worth, i've taken a lot of traits from my parents as well. My dad is an istp and my mother is an esfj, so I was exposed to different ways of looking at things. Everything I learn I usually end up integrating into myself as well. I have yet to meet someone who is exactly as a type profile predicts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've studied the cognitive functions I bit. I know I focus quite a lot on my Si and I think I have pretty strong Te too, as you mentioned. I find myself not being very open-minded sometimes, oddly enough (low Ne?), even though I'm quite sure I'm an INFP. Some of my closest friends are ENFPs and sometimes they seem to be more open-minded than I am. But then again, Ne IS their first function. And as I wrote, those traits were much more prevalent a few years ago. For the past few years, during high school and now, I've shifted my focus more onto gaining social skills, so I think I've become more like a typical INFP as of late, though I still try to be as honest and direct as possible with people. Actually, as of very recently, I'm trying to train myself to not just blurt out things without considering others' feelings. I can rearrange my words to seem nicer, or so I'm trying, and still express the same feelings. Anyway, don't worry, I know that I'm an INFP because of simply how focused I am in self discovery. And various things I could list that I've read about that are common to INFPs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I also add, do any other INFPs TRY to find similarities between them and other types, I guess trying to get along with and relate to as many kinds of people as possible?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
In public situations, I take on sort of an ENTP persona a lot of the time, so I relate well to my xNTP professors at school. I also relate to a lot of INTJs, probably due to my Aspy side. When I was younger, I acted like an INFJ, so a lot of unhealthy INFJs remind me of my younger self.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Can I also add, do any other INFPs TRY to find similarities between them and other types, I guess trying to get along with and relate to as many kinds of people as possible?
I like that question. I want to see more answers to it.

My answer is generally no, but I have a habit of being quick to talk about sex-typical interests with ST types. I picked it up as a child, in part to be tormented less for being weird. To the original question, the only things about other types I relate well to are Extraverted Intution (in its various forms) and some INFJ characteristics that highly overlap with INFP characteristics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts