Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
693 Posts
He's just a psychotic. There is a reason they're called psychedelics. They turn you into a spiritual woowoo person if you take too much of em, because they rewire your brain and you will gradually lose your ability to think rationally, as you start to lose touch with 5 sense reality. What is it with people and their deep need for truth? There is no truth. There are only facts. And we have already devised a method to find facts. It's called the scientific method. I see no difference between McKenna and a cult leader.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
@Aridela He gets a zillion points in my book for saying time is literally speeding up. That makes me so fucking happy. That's all I retained from my brief foray into his work. But I think about it at least weekly.

Reactions: Aridela

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
He's just a psychotic. There is a reason they're called psychedelics. They turn you into a spiritual woowoo person if you take too much of em, because they rewire your brain and you will gradually lose your ability to think rationally, as you start to lose touch with 5 sense reality. What is it with people and their deep need for truth? There is no truth. There are only facts. And we have already devised a method to find facts. It's called the scientific method. I see no difference between McKenna and a cult leader.
there isn't a unique and self-identical methodology to science

·
Registered
404 Posts
I could definitely see him being an INTP. He definitely went on a lot of tangents and has some wild ideas. Also, like a lot of INTPs he seems quite spiritual but it's coming from more of a curious rather than passionate place.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Humans have a predestined hunger for knowledge that goes beyond 'facts'.

We've only learned how to 'prove' a limited amount of phenomena. Blind faith in the scientific status quo is not necessarily any better than blind faith in a religion.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I also type him as INTP. I used to listen to a lot of Alan Watts and his videos would always pop up as suggested videos. I've listened to a few of his lectures/talks; his talks are definitely quite engaging and interesting.

And regarding psychedelics, Johns Hopkins Medicine recently launched a $17 million Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research - it will focus on the study of psychedelics for therapies and wellness, addiction, treatment resistant depression, brain function and learning and memory. Studies of psilocybin in patients will determine its effectiveness as a new therapy for opioid addiction, Alzheimer's disease, PTSD, post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome, anorexia nervosa and alcohol use in people with major depression. In addition to the published past studies showing positive results of usage of psychedelics as a treatment for end-of-life cancer distress, depression, addiction, etc., the FDA has also called psilocybin a 'breakthrough therapy' for depression. So yeah, there is therapeutic value and I don't even think this topic is controversial anymore.

·
Registered
INFP
1,489 Posts
I love Terence McKenna!
He and his brother Dennis McKenna make a good team in my opinion.
They wrote one of the books I am currently reading: Invisible Landscape

I can see Terence being an INTP too.

Reactions: Aridela

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was introduced to McKenna back in 1997! Space time continuum.. still have it somewhere. Actually I posted a clip of his in another thread a while back, reminding me of INFJ (because it was my first boyfriend, an INFJ who introduced me to it) I love it.. even more-so now than then, interestingly. I'm certain he is Ne/Si, and probably an ENTP whose psychedelic fix set the stage for some incredibly creative and unhinged perspectives on the 'nature of reality' and uh, possibly individuation..

He's wonderful.

Edit: Actually, I think ya just might be right about INTP. Look-y here and tell me if this doesn't
rub you as aspiring Fe..

"...the list is endless. what do they all have in common? They
represent various styles of rejection of linear values. Society
is trying to cure itself by an archaic revival, by a re-version of
archaic values.

'when you tease apart these archaic impulses, at the very center is the
desire to return to a world of magical empowerment of feeling"

Edit 2: goddammit. I've circled back around now to him possibly being an INFJ (which was my very initial instinct, when I was thinking about him years ago. This smacks right up against my own inability to determine if I've got Se feeding Ni or Ne expanding off Si.) Because if you look at this particular clip, it's very Se heavy... scarification, tattooing, jazz, explorative dance, raves, getting loaded, violating canons of sexual behavior.. that's all Se, he's not referring to random theoretical possibilities, but very concrete, real-time sensate impressions.. and he's pulling them together, converging the sensate data scraps into a singular vision with complete certainty. And then he refers to the center of it all as the proverbial INFJ archetypes.. the shaman, the mystic.. he's uses a lot of direct experience to influence more personal, subjective realizations.. He's very perceive-y for a Ti dom.

SO no idea now, but still wonderful.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm not sure of his type, but he does have a captivating way of speaking. He also has a heavy vibe of unsatisfied curiosity that I would associate with xNxP - leave no stone unturned and refuse to be satisfied by superficial explanations. I think it's difficult to separate what his personality "is" from what his personality "becomes" due to exposure to psychedelics. I think anyone who has prolonged exposure to mind-altering substances might undergo a personality shift due to fundamental changes in their perception of the world.

As you said, I don't agree with everything he says, but he's interesting to listen to and makes some compelling connections that make it hard to just discount his views as hallucinogenic raving. I also wouldn't discount the possiblity of him being xNFP with a logical leaning. But my impression is definitely something xNxP and probably in the realm of type 5/4 for enneagram.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is it with people and their deep need for truth? There is no truth. There are only facts. And we have already devised a method to find facts. It's called the scientific method.
I think you've got it backwards. Truth might just precede fact. For example, there is growing evidence our mental and emotional states directly change the physical matter of our bodies, and have measurable effects on matter beyond the body.

Hence, the emerging discipline of biofield science would like to have a word with you. Go learn something new!

-

On another note, Terence McKenna is too verbose and his speeches have a quality that is perhaps too far removed from relatable reality for my liking. Nothing against mushie users. There are plenty of others I watch and read who are similarly outside the status quo in many regards though. Dawson Church, and Peter Russell's Global Brain, to name a couple.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Cool guy. Interesting to listen to. Great storyteller. Charismatic. An "experiencer". I read about other's experiences with drugs, I have no desire, to go there myself. Terence McKenna jumped right in head first. He had no problem with "experiencing" other worlds, that are not here on earth, invisible landscapes, astronaut.

He strikes me as a bit of a Trickster. I mean that in a good way, not as a snake oil salesman. Like he is relaying information and slyly smiling at you, at the same time. Smirking. A bit of a jokester. Humorous and funny.

Describes himself as a "slider", compared to his brother, who has 3 (?) PhDs. Slider = slacker, I believe. Hashish smuggler on the run from interpol.

I think both brothers worked for Mossad or CIA or one of the alphabet agencies. All of this, is just my feeling, because of, mostly, how influential they both were on the populace. I am aware Dennis McKenna said neither of them worked for the FBI ever. We are still here talking about Terence McKenna in 2019.

What is Terence McKenna's MBTI type? ISFP. I think he was a Sensor. I have also heard, he was an INFJ. There are many sites on the internet and articles written saying he was an INFJ. I don't know really what his type was, these are just guesses, going on my feelings. If I have some time in the future, I might read Dennis McKenna's memoir on his brother and change my typing of him and come back to this thread.

One thing he was not was an asshole. He seemed like a really "nice" guy.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I think you've got it backwards. Truth might just precede fact. For example, there is growing evidence our mental and emotional states directly change the physical matter of our bodies, and have measurable effects on matter beyond the body.

Hence, the emerging discipline of biofield science would like to have a word with you. Go learn something new!

-

On another note, Terence McKenna is too verbose and his speeches have a quality that is perhaps too far removed from relatable reality for my liking. Nothing against mushie users. There are plenty of others I watch and read who are similarly outside the status quo in many regards though. Dawson Church, and Peter Russell's Global Brain, to name a couple.
I am not a materialist. I just cannot listen to people who make the stuff that they spout of their arse sound like grand universal truths because they are good at playing with words. They confuse truth with personal experience. Everything gathered from personal experience is not truth.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I went through a very heavy psychedelic period, and It really did change my life, and I encourage people who feel like they have the right mental buffers and positive motivations to try them and open up to what they can show you. But I strangely have no patience for people talking about the psychedelic experience at length from a podium, for some reason. I guess I just want to hear with the crystals have to say directly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts