Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
For me Tert Se manifests in 2 ways.

1. Scanning the environment or other people, their eye moments, body postures, hand movements, intensity of expression, pitch tone, facial expressions to give information to Ni which then further adds insights based on what that sensory input means and what I need to with my Fe to assist those people.

It can also be looking around the world and seeing everything related to humanity .. beggars, depravity, desolation, happiness sadness and then again using Ni to direct me towards the overall broader picture of how that sensory input relates to broader realizations about the state of the world.

The Fe in that case would be to use sensory input from the external environment to engage my empathy or pull to help, assist or change my own role / behaviour to adapt myself to fulfil whatever personal obligation I feel [out of my empathy or moral convictions] to either simply put myself in the other person's shoes or come up with solutions to try to help them.

2. Se is also about having "sanctuaries" --- designated activities, safe-houses where an ENFJ can move to in order to either be extroverted or introverted. It can be something like the comfort of my room or study where I can intuit .. or it can be a pool hall or a dance club where I can be extroverted with my friends.

That's just my take on it based on some light reading on the subject.

·
Registered
283 Posts
From an ISTP with aux. Se, this is an insightful thread. I've sometimes wondered if ENFJs (or ENxJs for that matter) experience Se in a here-and-now manner like SPs do.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I have heard of Se being the ENFJ's "seductive function." Very sensual and present.

For me, I've always seen Se as the function I use to pick up on the details.

Example: something is unpleasant. Se picks apart the sensual elements of the room, Ni spins it around, compares with Fe ideal for how it should be to discover what is not that should be, from there the unpleasant element is narrowed down.

Another example: something I've written feels "off". Se-Ni-Fe discovers the elements that need correction.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I have heard of Se being the ENFJ's "seductive function." Very sensual and present.

For me, I've always seen Se as the function I use to pick up on the details.

Example: something is unpleasant. Se picks apart the sensual elements of the room, Ni spins it around, compares with Fe ideal for how it should be to discover what is not that should be, from there the unpleasant element is narrowed down.

Another example: something I've written feels "off". Se-Ni-Fe discovers the elements that need correction.
@Jawz

I'm new to understanding functions. Piggybacking on you Marzi, would feels "off" also be sensing an inconsistency subconsciously without necessarily being able to identify it consciously?

Also, do you think Se causes you to pick up on people's energies and/or help you to gauge how they are in general in essence helps you to get a quick read on someone so to speak? In other words, do you think Se gives you the signals to instinctively know when something doesn't quite add up about a person?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I actually had a pretty interesting Se moment the other day. My friend came to visit me at school and I was sitting in the car smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. I have heated seats in my car, and I sat there cradled in the warmth with a cool breeze blowing in from the cracked window. It was Se bliss. I was almost entirely in the moment. We just sat there silently listening to this:

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
I actually had a pretty interesting Se moment the other day. My friend came to visit me at school and I was sitting in the car smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. I have heated seats in my car, and I sat there cradled in the warmth with a cool breeze blowing in from the cracked window. It was Se bliss. I was almost entirely in the moment. We just sat there silently listening to this
I can so relate to that feeling because it's my absolutely favourite 'sanctuary' as I mentioned earlier. It's almost a heavenly experience in terms of releasing my pent up anger and frustrations and just 'being' free ... feeling like I can fly without every leaving the ground.

Cars, music, cigarettes and coffee seem to have a kind of effect on me as well. I've made several posts on the subject across PerC. So I won't repeat myself ... but the faster I can drive .. the better I feel .. the more in tune my thoughts become with the universe.

High speed driving ... biking .. extreme roller-blading ... hiking ... extreme sports ... weight lifting .. used to be my bliss :/

When I was able to lead with Se [experiencing life in the moment] it allowed me to release my emotions and clear my thoughts in a healthy way :)

Now I pretend that the internet is my 'hang out'. When I come to PerC, I convince myself that I'm really in a physical environment - a biosphere with different rooms that I can visit .. people I can talk to .. when I talk to someone on PerC .. I pretend as though I'm really there with them .. I try to make this experience as real as I possibly can for myself.

The pretense works. I rarely have to leave my house anymore to experience the world .. I try to do it here from within my room only :/

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
@Jawz

I'm new to understanding functions. Piggybacking on you Marzi, would feels "off" also be sensing an inconsistency subconsciously without necessarily being able to identify it consciously?

Also, do you think Se causes you to pick up on people's energies and/or help you to gauge how they are in general in essence helps you to get a quick read on someone so to speak? In other words, do you think Se gives you the signals to instinctively know when something doesn't quite add up about a person?
Se being tertiary works somewhat like that. The cues aren't always at the forefront ...

Sometimes Se operates in the background like Ni picking up cues from the environment .. feeling tones, expressions, gestures etc ... you have to think in terms of how it works with Fe-Ni .. the cues we pick up most easily relate to people .. the sensory input gets stored away and then when we have time for ourselves thinking about our relationships and people and their relationships with each other --- Se feeds information to Ni which feeds information to Fe [ideally] giving us deeper realizations about how people were feeling a particular way and why and what was the sensory cue that planted that particular idea into our head.

It also works "in the moment" as you described. It is what gives us the ability to make snap judgements about people's feelings through their expressions, tones, gestures, verbal inflections etc.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
@Jawz

I'm new to understanding functions. Piggybacking on you Marzi, would feels "off" also be sensing an inconsistency subconsciously without necessarily being able to identify it consciously? Also, do you think Se causes you to pick up on people's energies and/or help you to gauge how they are in general in essence helps you to get a quick read on someone so to speak? In other words, do you think Se gives you the signals to instinctively know when something doesn't quite add up about a person?
Now that you mention it, it seems that Se is more just being physically present. How something smells, tastes, sounds, etc. I heard that Se is about being engaged in the physical environment. I imagine it is very much associated with type 8 enneagram. I read that the Se function is responsible for making others feel your presence. So, I imagine being aware of other people's details is also Se. I think that intuition says, "Something isn't right." That intuition is based on the details that you weren't noticing because you were listening to intuition instead to interpret what the details meant.

So when my intuition says: "Something about that guy was weird. I get the feeling he wanted..." Then I think, "What was it exactly?" Then all the details come swimming back: the way he walked, the words he said, etc. Then I can go deeper and say what each meant and indicated.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
That intuition is based on the details that you weren't noticing because you were listening to intuition instead to interpret what the details meant.
This is exactly right. Ni is sifting through all the hidden meanings, and because of this, Se gets "overlooked". The result is missing important concrete facts and details, and well essentially, living outside of the moment.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I actually had a pretty interesting Se moment the other day. My friend came to visit me at school and I was sitting in the car smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. I have heated seats in my car, and I sat there cradled in the warmth with a cool breeze blowing in from the cracked window. It was Se bliss. I was almost entirely in the moment. We just sat there silently listening to this:
Your post reminds me of how wonderful it feels to have a warm towel straight out the dryer against my skin and my son is the same way. Nothing like getting clothes directly out the dryer and putting them on while still warm. Hmmmmm....

I guess that's why I just love getting massages especially warm coals..... *makes note to self to schedule a massage* :D An Se dom must have created seat warmers.

@Jawz So with you on the fast driving.....Nothing releases stress quite like high speeds in a car coupled with loud music ;)

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Your post reminds me of how wonderful it feels to have a warm towel straight out the dryer against my skin and my son is the same way. Nothing like getting clothes directly out the dryer and putting them on while still warm. Hmmmmm....

I guess that's why I just love getting massages especially warm coals..... *makes note to self to schedule a massage* :D An Se dom must have created seat warmers.

@Jawz So with you on the fast driving.....Nothing releases stress quite like high speeds in a car coupled with loud music ;)
I can relate to this post completely .. yes .. I love massages ... [both giving and receiving] ... I love the feel of freshly ironed clothes .. but loud music, a girlfriend and a fast car are pure and utter bliss .. nothing quite like getting frisky with your mate in the front seat of the car doing 180 on an empty street at night :D ........... A little piece of heaven on earth :)

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I can relate to this post completely .. yes .. I love massages ... [both giving and receiving] ... I love the feel of freshly ironed clothes .. but loud music, a girlfriend and a fast car are pure and utter bliss .. nothing quite like getting frisky with your mate in the front seat of the car doing 180 on an empty street at night :D ........... A little piece of heaven on earth :)
Yepper! I agree. So, I assume Se makes us keenly aware of our surroundings as well. I guess that explains why I find money on the ground all the time. And, hearing noises....my son accuses me of having super sonic hearing all of the times. I am very sensitive to noises except music I enjoy. Ha ha. The worst are emergency vehicles....I have to cover my ears because the sound is too intense for me.

Don't know about other Se users. But another quirky thing I do is spray my sheets with fragrance when I change them. And, speaking of fragrances.....my brother has always accused me of being a fragrance junkie. I love scented lotions, sprays, candles, etc. I love for my environment to smell Y-U-M-M-Y!!!! ;D

I'm also sensitive lighting....can't be too dim and can't be too light. Lighting has to be just right and room temperature too. Okay I guess I better stop.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Yepper! I agree. So, I assume Se makes us keenly aware of our surroundings as well. I guess that explains why I find money on the ground all the time. And, hearing noises....my son accuses me of having super sonic hearing all of the times. I am very sensitive to noises except music I enjoy. Ha ha. The worst are emergency vehicles....I have to cover my ears because the sound is too intense for me.

Don't know about other Se users. But another quirky thing I do is spray my sheets with fragrance when I change them. And, speaking of fragrances.....my brother has always accused me of being a fragrance junkie. I love scented lotions, sprays, candles, etc. I love for my environment to smell Y-U-M-M-Y!!!! ;D

I'm also sensitive lighting....can't be too dim and can't be too light. Lighting has to be just right and room temperature too. Okay I guess I better stop.
Dunno about all this being Se [but I can see how it can be as well] but you're killing me here ... this is surreally [is that even a word] similar to my preferences :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks to everyone here who shared their two-sided Se understanding.

I remember my high school ENFJ teacher taking us outside during homeroom. Se relief :proud:

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Thanks to everyone here who shared their two-sided Se understanding.

I remember my high school ENFJ teacher taking us outside during homeroom. Se relief :proud:
I'd do that to as a treat if I was a teacher. Too much time indoors is not good for the mind [at least my mind]. I've noticed that some of my best discussions have been outdoors where I didn't feel "confined" and "constricted" by the ambience. Ambience is a huge deal for me ... it just has to be perfect. I use the word sanctuary on purpose because those are the places that allow me to be.

Other Se examples [where I lead by Se]

- I love sitting and chatting with my mum or SO while they're cooking in the kitchen
- I love standing outdoors in the cool breeze in the evening and smoke [I quit recently but started again] and think about people and their problems, or just think about whatever I want to think about. I always walk away from those 10 minutes outdoors with a fresh new perspective or insight into whatever problem is bugging me
- When I have to have a one on one with a friend or family member, I prefer to do it in coffee shops, or while driving. I dislike talking about problems at home because that almost always leads to bigger conflicts.
- I love standing at the edge of the beach and smoke cigars

But I can't do that too much or too often. If I'm outdoors too long, I have to come back home to my "sanctuary" or my "safe place" and be alone for a while before I can go back out again.

My Enneagram also has a lot to do with my ambiversion ... Type 6 being a cerebral type requires a great deal of alone time to "think" about problems. The catch is ... that I also require emotional validation and therefore I can never be alone either. Tough chaos. A lot of work is required on my part as well as from others to help me maintain a balance.

I'm high-maintenance with regards to my emotional well-being - so people generally leave me to my devices - but they can't do that for too long either otherwise I start becoming chaotic.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts

I don't know the actual reason but I find Ni doms seem to be more picky than I am when it comes to sensory things. Maybe I'm just too lazy to care because I sense everything and the whole sensory thing just gets old after a while... haha.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
I don't know the actual reason but I find Ni doms seem to be more picky than I am when it comes to sensory things. Maybe I'm just too lazy to care because I sense everything and the whole sensory thing just gets old after a while... haha.
That's too funny. Yes, I guess you would use it more than me. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
From an ISTP with aux. Se, this is an insightful thread. I've sometimes wondered if ENFJs (or ENxJs for that matter) experience Se in a here-and-now manner like SPs do.
I don't ever completely get immersed in the here and now of Se as I understand it. There always seems to be the element of this is really cool....because it links to a previous experience in x way. For example Jawz comment about sanctuaries is especially true, but when I'm scanning the view of one of my favorite places, like the countryside on my road trip from home to the college i went to or walking on the beach it is bringing me back to previous jaunts into these areas or to future expectations of the experience. i envy the sp ability to immerse in the present

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.