Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, but how does your tertiary function manifest in accordance with your other functions - or isolated from your other functions (to an extent)? What about your inferior function? Also do you actively work on developing your tertiary or inferior functions, if so how? Do you try to incorporate them with your leading functions too?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Theoretical answer:

Under 'normal' circumstances, the healthy type turns to all four functions in sequence. For the INTP: first analyze the problem (Ti), then look at it from a different angle (Ne), then concretize the matter (Si), and lastly ask the question: "Is it humane?"

That is the natural path for our everyday business.

In the grander scheme of life, the healthy type shifts the percentages in the aging process. Whereas the child/adolescent's Ti dominated the first couple of decades with its, say 70% share of the action; it will become more generous later on. Firt Ne evens out the I/E preference somewhat, then Si and Fe flattens the Ti peeks even further. It is only around the age of 40 (midlife crises) that a healthy type finds true peace with the third and fourth function. People truly change. (ISTJ's become much more laid-back courtosy of their inferior Ne; middle aged ENTJs suddenly feel the urge to go mountain biking or watch Nascar and shit, courtosy of their tertiary Se.)

Then there disbalance. The unhealthy INTP never gets the hang of Ne, blocking off the other functions in the process. The unhealthy INTP settles for the Ti-Si comfort zone.

Finaly there is also stress. For the INTP this is means the 'Fe danger zone'. Extreme stress flips the 1st and 4th function, fully exposing our infantile Fe.

_

Personally, I would add: leave Si for what it is. Because (1) I feel like it always collaborates with the bad guy - either dragging Ti in the loop, or feeding Fe with melancholy, and (2) it isn't to much use anyway: it doesn't help much in the development progress; it is the leas responsive; it naturally follows the aging curve like a dog.

I also want to stress the importance of both the extraverted functions. Fe is much more important than it seems - don't treat it as redundant. (Ti-Fe spine connection.) But Ne, too, is no 'gimme' for many people. Yes it comes in second, yes is it in our four letter profile, but it is still an extraverted function. The average INTP doesn't use it quite as much I feel. It is imperative that we do however becase the consequences are big. It blocks out the development of the other function. Moreover, I would say Ne is the main source of INTP depression. So definitely don't suppose one's auxilary function is naturally 'ok'.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's said your 3rd and 4th functions manifest as they would in a small child until much later in life when they develop fully. They usually come out in times of constant, trying stress. They aren't really used in accordance with your 1st and 2nd so much as your 1st and 2nd functions seem to kind of "check out" leaving the kids in the backseat in charge.

I have much experience with INTP's Si/Fe loop. It fucking sucks, and if you think our natural P-ness makes it hard to get shit done you're in for a whole new level of procrastination and dumbfuckery when you're in the "grip" of your 3rd and 4th functions. Personally, it usually ends up with me getting stupid baked, escaping into 14 hours straight of netflix watching dumb sappy ass sitcoms I've seen a billion times, and then sleeping for a day straight. Usually feel better after that though unless there's an extremely stressing stimulus in my life at the moment (whether it's an event, death, job, or person) that I can't get away from. Experience with this loop varies person to person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts