Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you make people go trough series of tests while trying to get to know them? Like finding if they're worth your time?

I mean like testing ability to notice sarcasm and other similiar tests.

I tend to ask questions regarding their morals etc, how they think about certain stuff - I'm very picky about the people i let near me..

( Sorry if my english is incorrect, feel free to correct me. I'm interested to learn better english! )

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do this all the time. I make them pass through series of tubes and loops and labyrinths to see how they fare and what info I can extract from them (that they might not even be aware they are giving out!). And very similarly to you as well, my main aim is usually finding out their ethical qualities, as it is very important for me to associate with like-minded people in this regard.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't test people as in giving them some sort of trial they have to "pass," but I do occasionally provoke people just to see how they'll respond--there's no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious. Also, I think I like giving people the opportunity to rise above their own insecurities or limited ideas about themselves. I will frequently fail to be polite in conversation, because I kind of want people to see their own strength in their ability to disagree with me or call me out if I've said something offensive. Is that weird?

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Not really. I think the most I do is exaggerate aspects of my personality so they can choose if they want to deal with me or not. So they don't come in blind.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I guess I do, sort of. It's not conscious nor deliberate. What it is, is I pay attention. So, while I don't have a test, per se, they are still passing or failing on some level. For example, if someone says "I'll be at your home at 9:15 to view the article you have for sale and they call at 10:15 to say they are late (duh), they will NEVER become a friend. That one instance of being late with an hour delayed call tells me many things and everything I need to know. And, it has nothing to do with whether or not I care about them being on time. The fact that they weren't on time and how they handled it become the
"clues" and give away what this person is and isn't about. Incidentally, whatever it was I had for sale, would no longer be available to this person to buy, either.

Reactions: Orion

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Here is another INTP/INTJ difference (sorry to hijack another thread.) For me, I will challenge you to keep up with my sarcasm and my intuitive leaps of reason. The point at which you can no longer keep up with that is a sort of categorization that you would fall under. So yeah, more a scale than a pass or fail for me.

There are other things that also help me determine what level of friendship I would want to have with you, like how much respect you have for me and how much space you are willing to give me, but I think that most people also have those considerations.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No, human social relationships are complicated enough as it is and the last thing I want to make someone feel is as if they need to impress me by "passing" some sort of test. I admit, I did use to do something like it when I was younger but over time I realized that people do not want to get close to you if you make them feel like they are not worthy of your presence. It just seemed so rude and condescending, to purposely provoke someone then critique their responses if they did not respond accordingly to your arbitrary guidelines. I understand in wanting to be around individuals that are similar to oneself, and like a poster mentioned above it is something we all do whether conscious or not, but I prefer it when people reveal themselves to me at their own pace and time. Such unprovoked revealing of the self, shows that they trust and respect me enough to show who they really are without worrying about being judged, or through my own provocations.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Here is another INTP/INTJ difference (sorry to hijack another thread.) For me, I will challenge you to keep up with my sarcasm and my intuitive leaps of reason. The point at which you can no longer keep up with that is a sort of categorization that you would fall under. So yeah, more a scale than a pass or fail for me.

There are other things that also help me determine what level of friendship I would want to have with you, like how much respect you have for me and how much space you are willing to give me, but I think that most people also have those considerations.
There is no valid "test" here, it's just a demonstration of your hostility toward others and your self-import view, and then you make a fool of yourself in front of INTJs seeking a pat on the back that you're not likely to get.

If we value people, thus the honesty, straightforwardness, and lack of willingness to manipulate other's feelings, why would you think you will get kudos from us for this unwarranted and disrespectful demonstration of you being deliberately mean to people to feed your false ego?

Here's a tip: If you actually take the time to find value in other people, you might find that your ego gets stroked in the process, and for the bonus feature, if you find yourself being kind to someone you and others would typically dismiss, someone else will likely notice and pat you on the back. There ya go. A double-whammy for the self-serving.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
...some personal conflict bleeding into the thread here or what?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I assume I test people subconsciously. They have to have a shared sense of humor as mine, they have to be intelligent on either an academic or a musical level [but on the occasion, I let that slip for those who just make me crack up], and they typically have to be crazy, insane, or downright abnormal, one way or another.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yes! No! Yes! No! Gahhh! Surely this must be one of your infernal tests!!?!??!

Epic meh. Yes, I implicitly test people for reactions, fun hobby.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I assume I test people subconsciously. They have to have a shared sense of humor as mine, they have to be intelligent on either an academic or a musical level [but on the occasion, I let that slip for those who just make me crack up], and they typically have to be crazy, insane, or downright abnormal, one way or another.
I guess the question should be asked, what is the definition of test? Or, what does the OP mean by test?

I answered yes, but truly I have no test, but observations I make lead to conclusions lead to actions I am/am not willing to take. A test is implied, but as another poster put it much more precisely, it's about paying attention when people reveal themselves rather than "testing" them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think I do.
A series of questions about their childhood and interests.
Their education background and humanitarian views.
What they know and don't know
Then I use the info to see if I might need it in the future.
I mainly do this with everyone after disguising myself as a nice guy.

Reactions: Danny

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
...some personal conflict bleeding into the thread here or what?
What? That kind of thing never happens, what a rediculous idea!

I am always judging the people around me, seeing how they respond to situations, which seems perfectly normal to me. I will sometimes set these situations up with the intent of discovering their reaction, I try not to do this though, it seems somehow wrong to me. I guess because people generally don't enjoy becoming my experiments, and regardless of if they would know or not, I try to respect others' feelings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm guilty of this to a degree, but I don't test people so much as I measure them up. This isn't to the end of inclusion vs. exclusion though. It is more to get a feel for what I can expect of them. I don't reveal my deepest secrets to every activity partner, much as I don't make nerdy video game jokes or politically charged quips to everyone I talk to about my life's goals and aspirations. I do like to take people out of their comfort zones and I catch myself doing things I know to often be regarded as disarming so that I can get a better glimpse of who they are and how I can fit into their lives (and vice versa).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you make people go trough series of tests while trying to get to know them? Like finding if they're worth your time?

I mean like testing ability to notice sarcasm and other similiar tests.

I tend to ask questions regarding their morals etc, how they think about certain stuff - I'm very picky about the people i let near me..

( Sorry if my english is incorrect, feel free to correct me. I'm interested to learn better english! )
All the time..first the trial base..then some tests..yeah.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Lot of good points made by INTJ’s here. Only twist I will add is. When actually talking, and I mean conversing not explaining, arguing, teaching, or small talk; with someone new, I am normally too caught up with thinking on my toes to formulate a test. Later though I will replay the conversation and put the person through a ‘test’ of sorts that way.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts