Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at the doctors for a migraine today right?
The doctors asking all these normal questions, then out of the blue she goes
"What's today?"
I was instantly confused! I'm just sitting there thinking:
"Does she mean what today's pain rating is?" "is today a holiday?" "Does she mean "what does today mean to you?" ' 'Does she mean what are your goals for today?" "Is today the day you're reclaiming life? Chasing your dreams?" "Hopes for the day?" "Thoughts?"
I eventually asked if she was referring to my headache and she just shook her head and said "Just answer the question."
After more thinking I decided to, on a whim, say "April 4."
She accepted that answer and moved on.
Easy as that.
So, this got me thinking, anyone else have moments when they were all in a deep INFJ tangem, when it was unnecessary ? Did this create an awkward situation? I'd love to hear stories :happy:

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I can relate to this - have been caught out in a similar way, but can't think of any examples right now.

"What day is it?" ("wednesday") or "what's today's date?" ("4th april") would be clear but yes, "what's today?" is probably a bit vague.

What I find frustrating in these situatiions is that the other person probably doesn't have any insight into how/why their question caused difficulties. Was that your impression yesterday?

Just thought - you could have said "I dunno, is it your birthday?"

·
Registered
544 Posts
"What's today?"
"Does she mean what today's pain rating is?" "is today a holiday?" "Does she mean "what does today mean to you?" ' 'Does she mean what are your goals for today?" "Is today the day you're reclaiming life? Chasing your dreams?" "Hopes for the day?" "Thoughts?"
I eventually asked if she was referring to my headache and she just shook her head and said "Just answer the question."
Easy as that.
So, this got me thinking, anyone else have moments when they were all in a deep INFJ tangem, when it was unnecessary ? Did this create an awkward situation? I'd love to hear stories :happy:
Yes, that's happened to me. In fact, I almost failed a lie detector test (was applying for a public safety position that required sensitive information on documents) because I panicked at the possibility that I had aided someone in a criminal activity without realizing it. I also panicked over the questions "Is today January 28th?" and "Is today Thursday?" My first reaction: "Shit, is it? What is today?" He said my heart rate was 170 for most of the test. It didn't help that he had questioned me on several subjects prior to the test that had NOTHING to do with what would be required in the position itself. It had already set me on edge in the first place.

I passed the test, but then the position was ripped out from under me because another department filled a similar position first.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
OMG! I hate that! It happens all the time to me because I immediately see things from all these points of view and don't which one is being asked of me. It must be an INFJ thing. People who have worked with me for ages say I am in my own little world amd tease me about it, but honestly, it annoys me to no end they do.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Oh yes. There was a time in English class the teacher asked us a "critical thinking" question about the reading. I don't remember the question, but the entire class just sat there blinking stupidly. I had thought of one answer, but because it was "critical thinking" I thought that one was too easy and kept going on.

Well, eventually the teacher gave up and just told us the answer--it had been the one I had already thought of. The whole class went "ohhhhhhh" and I'm sitting there in my corner going "Well, duh..."

·
Registered
21 Posts
OMG! I hate that! It happens all the time to me because I immediately see things from all these points of view and don't which one is being asked of me. It must be an INFJ thing. People who have worked with me for ages say I am in my own little world amd tease me about it, but honestly, it annoys me to no end they do.
Me too....!

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
The thing is, if we're just a wee bit astute, I think we can usually tell what answer they're looking for and If i'm in an agreeable mood, I'll give it to them. If not, or if I feel that I'm being put in a position where I have to suffer a fool, all bets are off. ballerinaintherain, you could have really messed with her if you wanted to, but then again, you might have found yourself being held for psychiatric evaluation, LOL! "What's today?" Back in the day, we would have said, "the first day of the rest of your life." I wonder if your doctor, (neurologist?), would have found that "acceptable".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't tell you how happy I am that I'm not the only one who does this!!!!! "What's today?" may be a simple question for others, but I totally took it the wrong way :p
I'm slightly embarrassed now because I'm sure my expression was not a pretty one....
LOL I totally could have used one of your guys' witty answers...Next time ;) I was wishing that I knew some of those strange holidays like "hug a squirrel day" and such so I could have replied with one of those :p

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
hahhaha! This makes me laugh because I was JUST ranting about this earlier tonight.
It really frustrates me when I don't understand what someone is trying to get at because I see so many possibilities, and then the person usually acts like I am in idiot when I ask them to clarify.

My mother is the worst at that. She will come home from being gone all day and literally say things like "Oh! I found the store!" And I get confused, what store? It will be from a conversation we were having hours or even days ago.

A few days ago, I was about to hang out with a friend. I agreed to hang out. He asked me "What time?" I gave him a time. And then he asked "Any preference?" I thought "....preference? of time? I just told him that?" I asked him what he meant and he responded "ON WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO. Don't make me joke on you!"

I don't really see why that was funny since he wasn't being clear [in my eyes]. I really hate when people joke me about things like that since I don't feel like I am being unreasonable.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
hahhaha! This makes me laugh because I was JUST ranting about this earlier tonight.
It really frustrates me when I don't understand what someone is trying to get at because I see so many possibilities, and then the person usually acts like I am in idiot when I ask them to clarify.

My mother is the worst at that. She will come home from being gone all day and literally say things like "Oh! I found the store!" And I get confused, what store? It will be from a conversation we were having hours or even days ago.

A few days ago, I was about to hang out with a friend. I agreed to hang out. He asked me "What time?" I gave him a time. And then he asked "Any preference?" I thought "....preference? of time? I just told him that?" I asked him what he meant and he responded "ON WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO. Don't make me joke on you!"

I don't really see why that was funny since he wasn't being clear [in my eyes]. I really hate when people joke me about things like that since I don't feel like I am being unreasonable.
This example is a bit different in that it's a failure to see any possibilities. This isn't a criticism - i experience this as well. So sometimes we see too many possibilities and other times we can't make even one possibility out of what we've heard.

A paradox: this example could be seen as a failure to read between the lines - something INFJs are often seen as extremely good at. Perhaps the successful reading between the lines is when it happens unconsciously and the failure happens when we try to do it consciously?

@ballerinaintherain tangem - was that a typo?

·
Registered
970 Posts
"What's today?"
Easy as that.
I have this happen every day. A story would be too short or too long...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This example is a bit different in that it's a failure to see any possibilities. This isn't a criticism - i experience this as well. So sometimes we see too many possibilities and other times we can't make even one possibility out of what we've heard.

A paradox: this example could be seen as a failure to read between the lines - something INFJs are often seen as extremely good at. Perhaps the successful reading between the lines is when it happens unconsciously and the failure happens when we try to do it consciously?

@ballerinaintherain tangem - was that a typo?

oh dear I guess it was... How embarrassing.. Excuse my typo :)

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I was asked by my math professor to fill in the missing numbers from a sequence, it was like 5,10,7,14,11,22... and for the life of me I was over-complicating it a lot and ended with a ridiculous number like 523 or something like that. Moments after I had uttered the answer, I was "oh man, I'm stupid. This problem was so simple." I had to resist the urge to slap myself afterwards:frustrating:

·
Banned
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love it when I'm having a conversation with someone who isn't actually there and then I find out that my roommate's been home the whole time.

Also, when somebody has to repeat something about four or five times before I understand it, although that could be a me thing, and not an INFJ thing. It's like all I hear is noise... I know that there are words in it, but my brain just isn't picking them out.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,468 Posts
Yeah, I always feel stupid because I ask people to clarify as someone else said. Better than answering the question wrong I guess though I've done that too. I'm not convinced this is an INFJ thing though.

I wish people would communicate better as someone else said. When people ask my ENFJ husband at work if they've seen his boss that day, he just answers with "yes" even though he knows what they're really asking (where is she?) so it forces them to communicate better lol. It upsets them to no end but people really should think about how they word things more because it can be very confusing!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts