Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Any other INFJs that have this behavior? Today, I was at a restaurant eating and I noticed a autistic person rocking back and forth. I felt a connection, cause I have been doing this since I was a kid. Buying a awesome rocker has been more important to me than the car I drive. I came home and Google it......now I curious, any other INFJs do this?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I was raised jewish, they rock while saying prayer sometimes. Also, I was raised on rock music. they conveniently rock pretty hard too. Then I found metal, they rock the hardest. I suppose when I am older, I will buy a rocker and reminisce. But what you suggest seems different maybe. Solitary enjoyment, a thing of different purpose. Feels like every introverted person must do this in some way.

I confess I began to rock through social learning, but don't ever think I was a natural body oscillator. In my own head in a different way maybe...I don't want to hijack, but if you get a chance, why do you rock, and why is it more important to you than a car?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The posts I read said it could be autism, OCD, a form of coping or soothing. I think I do it for the later. I was surprised at how many people that do this. I wonder if this is an INFJ thing?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm unnaturally still, oddly enough. I've also only known one other person in my life to do this rocking thing you're talking about. He was schizophrenic, and I believe he said he typed INTP.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
That rock

Hi,

Any other INFJs that have this behavior? Today, I was at a restaurant eating and I noticed a autistic person rocking back and forth. I felt a connection, cause I have been doing this since I was a kid. Buying a awesome rocker has been more important to me than the car I drive. I came home and Google it......now I curious, any other INFJs do this?
I thought this thread was going to be about the Spain-UK dispute over Gibraltar.

But the actual subject is more interesting.

No, have never done this though I can imagine how it could be soothing / comforting.

When I was at school there was a girl who every day rocked back and forth in her seat on the school bus. She was pretty normal I think and quite an extrovert. She did get teased a bit for her rocking.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
hmmmm. I do this a lot. Not while I'm by myself, studying something or working on a project, but put me in a room where I'm waiting on something, and have nothing to occupy myself with, and I'll be doing this within moments before I even realize what I'm doing.

I also do it when people are talking to me. Not back and forth, but side to side. Not sure why, but i think the two have different effects on both myself, and the people around me.

The back and forth seems more recognizable as a soothing thing, while the side to side seems like more of a boredom alleviation.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I bounce up and down when I'm relaxed/happy but don't like doing it in front of strangers unless I'm in a really good mood.

186 Posts
Oh, yes. I find it rather soothing, like on a boat or something. Only when I'm alone, however. I guess when I start to escape to my own world?

Another trait I find in common with autistic behavior is that sometimes they (not all) lash out when interrupted or jogged out of their world. I do this more than I would like to admit. :/ It just irritates me (or subconsciously startles me?) when I'm in my head and suddenly someone is slamming beside me. No, bro. Go away. I'm thinking about Native American history and Ben-Hur and the set-up of plastic human failure (failing in a world of superficiality because human nature is genuine).

Whoops, sorry, rambling. :kitteh:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I only rock when listening to music, though it's not really as much of a rock as much as it is a pseudo-headbang. I'm more prone to tapping to the music I'm listening to or is in my head. It's loud and hard tapping when I'm stressed or moving quickly, slow when I'm just listening, or at the beat of the song when I'm thinking hard.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I'm unnaturally still, oddly enough. I've also only known one other person in my life to do this rocking thing you're talking about. He was schizophrenic, and I believe he said he typed INTP.
That is very common in schizophrenia -and also rubbing the front of the thighs while rocking. I would think that MBTI typing would be a bit abstract for those suffering from schizophrenai. Even in remission on meds, most are totally concrete -one of the diagnostic observations.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm usually very still - the only time i really rock at all is sometimes if i feel self conscious i shake a little bit. For example if ironically I'm told i need to be still or if people stare at me that are unfamiliar then i get the shakes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't say I'm much of a rocker. I can relate to some posts here about being very still. Sometimes I become aware of my upper body being "too still" while im walking and I start to move my head a little etc. to look "normal". Haha.
Though it's propably something no one else notices but sometimes I get this feeling like I'm not walking like everyone else. It's weird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts