Heaven Can Wait, Meatloaf

"And the truth about love is it's all a lie"

Truth About Love, Pink

"Your kisses burn into my skin"

Only Love Can Hurt like This, Paloma Faith

·
Registered
581 Posts
What a great thread, hoping to hear more of these!

The ones that came to mind first, lightly categorized:

ON LIFE IN GENERAL:
I never found a job where I was not fired, but I never found a town where I was not hired. (Michelle Shocked, The Incomplete Image)
On my own again - inside the outsider (Marina and the Diamonds, Outsider)
I’m not gonna diss you on the internet, cause my mama told me better than that (Destiny's Child, Survivor)
If your monkey's got that kind of money sir, we've got a monkey bed (Robbie Williams: Me and my monkey)
I've acquired quite a taste for a well-made mistake (Fiona Apple: Mistake)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and anyway I told the truth. But I'm afraid I told a lie. (Nick Cave: Mercy seat)

ON HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS:
I need somebody smarter than me, I need to exercise my vocabulary. (Maria McKee: Smarter)
Was I drunk, was he handsome, and did mama give me hell? (for instance Madeleine Peyroux: Was i?)
Everybody knows that you’ve been discreet, there were just so many people you had to meet without your clothes (Leonard Cohen: Everybody knows)
Did I disappoint you or leave a bad taste in your mouth? You act like you never had love and you want me to go without (U2: One)
I met my old lover on the street today. She seemed so glad to see me, I just smiled. (Paul Simon: Still crazy after all these years)
You’re so vain, you probably think this song is about you. (Carly Simon: You're so vain)
Well I'll be damned, here comes your ghost again. But that's not unusual, it's just that the moon is full and you happened to call. (Joan Baez: Diamonds and rust)

TO CRY:
now I act like I don’t remember, Mary acts like she don’t care. (Bruce Springsteen: The River)
One more kid that’ll never go to school, never get to fall in love, never get to be cool. (Neil Young: Keep on rocking in the free world)

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.

- The Great Gig in the Sky (Dark Side of the Moon) by Pink Floyd

Not exactly song lyrics, but a monologue by an old man in the song. It resonates with me because it's essentially how I imagine myself if I ever reach old age.
The thing about The Great Gig in the Sky...it translates across all languages. How's your Russian?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmpzXPymos

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
"I lie under starlit sky and the seasons change in the blink of an eye
I watch as the planets turn and the old stars die and the young stars burn ... "
- Lord Huron, Lonesome Dreams

"... Then they went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had such eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'..."
- Iron and Wine, The Trapeze Swinger

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Before I run I'll have to take a fall and then pick myself up, so slowly I'll devour every one of those books in the Tower of Knowledge. ~ Cherry Tree, 10k Maniacs

We scaled the face of reason to find at least one sign that could reveal the true dimensions of life lest we forget ~ Anywhere Out Of The World, Dead Can Dance

I'm lost, exposed, stranger things will come your way, it's just I'm scared. Got hurt a long time ago, can't make myself heard, no matter how hard I scream
~ Biscuit, Portishead

And you can tell from the state of my room that they let me out too soon, and the pills that I ate came a couple years too late... and I've got some issues to work through. There I go again, pretending to be you, make-believing that I have a soul beneath the surface trying to convince you it was accidentally on purpose ~ Girl Anarchronism, Dresden Dolls

Don't be lording all above me...won't be hard to pull you underground. It won't be long 'til ya love me, then I'll be coming at your back to bring it down ~ Lecher Bitch, The Genitorturers

we are fallible creatures, enslaved to our secrets ... but we are forgiving in nature, there's no lesson greater. ~ Fallible Creatures, Scott Quinn

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Look what they've done to my brain, Ma
Look what they've done to my brain
Yeah, they picked it like a chicken bone
And they think I'm half insane, Ma
Look what they've done to my song

- Melanie Safka, Look what they've done to my song

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'll go with single phrase/section. A line won't do in most cases.

On humility
"And at once I knew I was not magnificent" Bon Iver - Holocene

On misanthropy
"Cause I'm praying for rain
I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down." Tool - Aenima

On despair
"Over!" she cries through rope ends and silk ties
Beautiful life escaping her young blue eyes
But life holds her hand, refusing to let go
Leaving her breathing on the floor" Pain of Salvation - Rope Ends

On relationships
"I said, 'Honey, I don't feel so good, don't feel justified
Come on put a little love here in my void,' he said
'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it " Fiona Apple - Paper Bag

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I fell in love with the first cute girl that I met
Who could appreciate Georges Bataille
Standing at a Swedish festival
Discussing Story of the Eye
Discussing Story of the Eye

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
Pretty interesting little nod to Nirvana from Blink 182.

"Take your time, hurry up. The choice is yours, don't be late." - Come As You Are, Nirvana

"I took my time, I hurried up, the choice was mine I didn't think enough..." - Adam's Song, Blink 182

181 - 200 of 237 Posts