Registered
2,397 Posts
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

·
Registered
271 Posts
He says one and one and one is three. - Beatles
Love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections. - John Legend
Two men say they're Jesus. One of them must be wrong. - Dire Straits

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

(Is it obvious I just wanna keep D.B. alive on this forum by constantly upping his thread..? sadface)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
4 years and I still cry sometimes
First love never die

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It's called love
And it belongs to us

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
You'll fall in love with somebody else
Again tonight

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain. (We can be like they are) - Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper. It's 3 lines, sorry...
Once I rose above the noise and confusion. Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion. I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high - Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son. And again 3 lines... I might have difficulty following rules.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

(Is it obvious I just wanna keep D.B. alive on this forum by constantly upping his thread..? sadface)
When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold
The mountain cats will come to drag away your bones
And rise with me forever across the silent sand
And the stars will be your eyes and the wind will be my hands

-The Handsome Family, Far From Any Road

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
"an old man said to me: won't see another one" - shane mcgowan, fairytale of new york

"i'm going to drive like i've never been hurt" - ry cooder, drive like i've never been hurt

"and you couldn't find the smile if you nailed it to his face" - john mann, if venice is sinking

"digesting reader's digest in the back of the dirty-book store" - john prine, your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore

"like a bird in a frozen sky" - john prine, saddle in the rain

"i'm junk but i'm still holding up this little wild bouquet" - leonard cohen, democracy

"now you wear your skin like iron, your breath's as hard as kerosene" - townes van zandt, pancho and lefty

"drinking mad dog margaritas and not caring where you are" - guy clarke, dublin blues

"i'll sit by the window with a tin of beer, and watch them chain up the swings" - michael marra, chain up the swings

"i love the ballyhoo girl but she don't care" - mark knopfler, devil baby

"you walk the hallways victorious" - valiant swart, international maria

afrikaans songwriters:

"sprakeloos teen die venster, soos in somewhere between" - valiant swart, vreemde landskap

"jy was nog nooit in langstraat in die reen nie" - koos kombuis
" 'n botteltjie blou wat my twee jaar moet hou" - koos kombuis, bar op de aar.

"wit lyne op die highway, en die bottel ken my naam" - jan blohm, rosie

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Fool enough to almost be it
Cool enough to not quite see it
Doomed

·
Registered
29 Posts
"an old man said to me: won't see another one" - shane mcgowan, fairytale of new york

"i'm going to drive like i've never been hurt" - ry cooder, drive like i've never been hurt

"and you couldn't find the smile if you nailed it to his face" - john mann, if venice is sinking

"digesting reader's digest in the back of the dirty-book store" - john prine, your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore

"like a bird in a frozen sky" - john prine, saddle in the rain

"i'm junk but i'm still holding up this little wild bouquet" - leonard cohen, democracy

"now you wear your skin like iron, your breath's as hard as kerosene" - townes van zandt, pancho and lefty

"drinking mad dog margaritas and not caring where you are" - guy clarke, dublin blues

"i'll sit by the window with a tin of beer, and watch them chain up the swings" - michael marra, chain up the swings

"i love the ballyhoo girl but she don't care" - mark knopfler, devil baby

"you walk the hallways victorious" - valiant swart, international maria

afrikaans songwriters:

"sprakeloos teen die venster, soos in somewhere between" - valiant swart, vreemde landskap

"jy was nog nooit in langstraat in die reen nie" - koos kombuis
" 'n botteltjie blou wat my twee jaar moet hou" - koos kombuis, bar op de aar.

"wit lyne op die highway, en die bottel ken my naam" - jan blohm, rosie
Ek sien jy praat ook die mees modernste taal in die hele verkende kosmos.

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
Ek sien jy praat ook die mees modernste taal in die hele verkende kosmos.
One time I accosted this ancient Belgian couple in a supermarket after trailing them and listening in on them through the whole store, and the man got so excited. 'skatte kom luister -sy praat oud duits!!! ' I don't remember what they were speaking but we had us a lekker little kuiertjie together anderkant die cash register.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
One time I accosted this ancient Belgian couple in a supermarket after trailing them and listening in on them through the whole store, and the man got so excited. 'skatte kom luister -sy praat oud duits!!! ' I don't remember what they were speaking but we had us a lekker little kuiertjie together anderkant die cash register.
It's actually pretty hilarious, from our point of view. At least for me. Love the similarities and the South-African twists to it, not to mention the random English words popping up. Q: are words like "love" and "cash register" and "train station" actually the standard/accepted language? Or are they more like a synonym for the 'Dutch'-ish equivalent?
@Stolen Jam Tarts

221 - 240 of 240 Posts