Banned
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
И тени их качались на пороге,
Безмолвный разговор они вели,
Красивые и мудрые, как боги,
и грустные, как жители земли.

- Булат Окуджава, "Песня о московском муравье", 1959
'No need to worry about the Vietnamese, got to bring the Russian bear to his knees. Well, maybe not the Russian bear, maybe the Swedes.' - Pink Floyd, Not Now John

·
Registered
269 Posts
"I know you don't come as easy as some, but I will watch and pray." Kristene Mueller

"Sally's into knowledge, spent her years in college, just to find out nothing is true
She can hardly speak now, words are not unique now 'cause they can't say anything new" Steve Taylor

"So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss and my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way He loves us." John Mark McMillan

"Oh, the flowers of indulgence and the weeds of yesteryear
Like criminals, they have choked the breath of conscience and good cheer." Bob Dylan

"Two men say they're Jesus one of them must be wrong." Dire Straits

"He says one and one and one is three." Beatles

·
Registered
713 Posts
Bubble butt, bubble, bubble, bubble butt
Turn around, stick it out, show the world you got a

- Bubble Butt by Major Lazer ft. Bruno Mars, 2 chains, Tyga and Mystic

This songs speaks to me on an emotional level.
That song and Turn Down For What are the only songs that ever spoke to my soul!

"You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be" - Judith, A Perfect Circle (because it's been relevant in my life far more times than it should have been)

'Drunk girls wait an hour to pee' - Drunk Girls, LCD Soundsystem (because it's true)

"I wish I was like you, easily amused" - Nirvana, All Apologies (because I do)

"I don't pop molly I rock Tom Ford" - Jay Z, Tom Ford (because, like Sean Carter, I get high on achievement)

·
Registered
594 Posts
"Keep your mouth shut, you're squawking like a pink monkey bird" - Moonage Daydream by Bowie

·
Registered
143 Posts
"I will choose a path that's clear.... I will choose Freewill..." - 'Freewill', Rush

"I miss the comfort in being sad..." - 'Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle', Nirvana

"And you will come to find that we are all one mind.... Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable..." - 'Reflection', Tool

"I tell you to enjoy life; I wish I could, but it's too late..." - 'Paranoid', Black Sabbath

"Everything under the sun is in tune.... But the sun is eclipsed by the moon..." - 'Eclipse', Pink Floyd

Oh, the angst on some of these.... then again, the real difficulty is selecting not only a single line, but seeing how it works out of the context of the song. Like, many lyrics work wonders when paired with the rest of the song, but when you cherry pick them, it's difficult for them to have the same kind of catharsis or profundity. If that makes any sense....

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Oh, the angst on some of these.... then again, the real difficulty is selecting not only a single line, but seeing how it works out of the context of the song. Like, many lyrics work wonders when paired with the rest of the song, but when you cherry pick them, it's difficult for them to have the same kind of catharsis or profundity. If that makes any sense....
That being said, if you free the line from specific context it brings possible new meanings.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That being said, if you free the line from specific context it brings possible new meanings.
True, but that depends entirely on the line. Like, one of my favorite lyrics of all time ("Remember I will always love you.... As I claw your fucking throat away...") is, in context, the perfect summation of both the lyrical and musical journey that the listener has gone through. Out of context, it doesn't really sound all that elegant, and it needs the context of the song for the weight to truly sink in

Again, though, that is true. "Setting trap for the big kill; a waste of time.... Sitting Still..." for example, is something that isn't all that clear in context, as the lyrics are almost stream of consciousness, in a sense. Either way, that can mean something entirely different depending on where you see the line.

But, since the idea was lines that really stuck with you, the best ones tend to be those that can work outside of the realm of their presented medium. The kinds of lines that make you ponder, essentially. I think that those lines will inevitably be the ones that work regardless of context more often than not.

·
Banned
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
True, but that depends entirely on the line. Like, one of my favorite lyrics of all time ("Remember I will always love you.... As I claw your fucking throat away...") is, in context, the perfect summation of both the lyrical and musical journey that the listener has gone through. Out of context, it doesn't really sound all that elegant, and it needs the context of the song for the weight to truly sink in

Again, though, that is true. "Setting trap for the big kill; a waste of time.... Sitting Still..." for example, is something that isn't all that clear in context, as the lyrics are almost stream of consciousness, in a sense. Either way, that can mean something entirely different depending on where you see the line.

But, since the idea was lines that really stuck with you, the best ones tend to be those that can work outside of the realm of their presented medium. The kinds of lines that make you ponder, essentially. I think that those lines will inevitably be the ones that work regardless of context more often than not.
You're a poet, you write. Do you read at all with an eye toward structure? That one great line, that perfectly crafted string of words...I've found I can build an entire paragraph off two well-placed words. 'Heavy-handed Hackensack mama' isn't going to expand anyone's consciousness but it's slick.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
The game was to pick those that could stand alone. They're evocative, like epigraphs.

I had to exclude some of the best lyrics because of context. But context wasn't the game. The one you mentioned "I will always love you..." seems a bit ham-handed out of context, yeah. So you think of a different one.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
All the federales say they could have had him any day, they only let him slip away out of kindness, I suppose. --Townes Van Zandt, Pancho and Lefty

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're a poet, you write. Do you read at all with an eye toward structure? That one great line, that perfectly crafted string of words...I've found I can build an entire paragraph off two well-placed words. 'Heavy-handed Hackensack mama' isn't going to expand anyone's consciousness but it's slick.
I do, yes. And I'll freely admit that oftentimes the sound of the words can eclipse the meaning, or lack thereof. Hell, some song's 'lyrics' tend to literally be gibberish, and yet they speak to many, many people.

The game was to pick those that could stand alone. They're evocative, like epigraphs.

I had to exclude some of the best lyrics because of context. But context wasn't the game. The one you mentioned "I will always love you..." seems a bit ham-handed out of context, yeah. So you think of a different one.
Good to know I grasp the fundamental concept, then. I suppose I wanted to maybe put forth the topic and see if I was alone in thinking that way.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Good to know I grasp the fundamental concept, then. I suppose I wanted to maybe put forth the topic and see if I was alone in thinking that way.
I was answering your question. When you said this:

the best ones tend to be those that can work outside of the realm of their presented medium.
Replying that one chooses a stand-alone simply because the game told you to was merely articulating that I didn't agree that those that stand alone are "best." Best for this purpose, but not necessarily superior to those that need context when context is available.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Some artists and/or songs only work in their entirety imo. Especially if they're telling a story, or relaying an experience or just have some stuff to get across about something specific. Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, The White Stripes etc. The Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' song as sung by J Cash was pretty full on but are there any whopper single lines? I dunno.
One of my favourite songs ever is U2's 'Running to Stand Still' which is about heroin addiction and the title is profound for me only in knowing what the song is about. It's so damn apt and no other words, phrases, sentences describe drug addiction so perfectly than those. Also from the song: I see seven towers, but I only see one way out.

41 - 60 of 227 Posts