Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 237 Posts

·
Banned
488 Posts
"Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools." Epitaph - King Crimson.

"If only I could phrase satisfactory words, in conversation, to make my passion heard, if only..." Meurglys III (The Songwriter's Guild) - Van Der Graaf Generator.

I know the next one is a stanza but I'll throw in anyway as if it were a sentence...

"And though dark is the highway, and the peak's distance breaks my heart, for I never shall see it, still I play my part, believing that what waits for us, is the cosmos compared to the dust of the past.

In the death of mere Humans Life shall start!" Childlike Faith In Childhood's End - Van Der Graaf Generator.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Cool thread. These I can think of right now:

'There's always a siren singing in a shipwreck'

'Please could you stop the noise? I'm trying to get some rest from all the undead chicken voices in my head'

'Love is like a sin, my love, for the one that feels it the most'

'Words, like violence, break the silence, come crashing in into my little world'

·
Registered
289 Posts
'And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad; the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.' - Gary Jules, Mad World
Hey - that's a Tears for Fears song.

The truth gets blurred like a wet letter
But since I gave up hope I feel a lot better
- Steve Taylor

There's not enough weeks in the month
To do all that needs to be done
There's not enough months in the year
And years disappear like the bubbles in my beer
- Divine Comedy

In this place that I call home
My brain's the cliff and my heart's the bitter buffalo
- Modest Mouse

It's not the side effects of the cocaine
I'm thinking that it must be love
- Bowie

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath
- John Lennon/Beatles

At the moment of surrender
Of vision over visibility
I did not notice the passers-by
And they did not notice me
- U2

As I walk, I think about a new way to walk
As I think, I'm using up the time left to think
And this train keeps rolling off the track
Tryin' to act like something else
Tryin' to go where it's been uninvited
- They Might Be Giants

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
"How I wonder what you are."

"And on that farm he had a cow"

"You put your right hand in and you shake it all about."

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands."

·
Banned
488 Posts
"In the slaughterhouse all corpses smell the same, whether queens or pawns or innocents at the game;
In the cemetery a uniform cloaks the graves, except for outward pomp and circumstance." The Comet, The Course, The Tail - Peter Hammill

"What have you achieved now you're old? Did you fulfill ambition, do as you were told? Or are you still doing the same this year? Should I give sorrow, or turn 'round and sneer?" Run Of The Mill - Judas Priest

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
'His hair was perfect. Bip!' - Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

(Does not work without the 'Bip!'. Best while running a hand through your hair.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Some artists and/or songs only work in their entirety imo. Especially if they're telling a story, or relaying an experience or just have some stuff to get across about something specific. Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, The White Stripes etc. The Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' song as sung by J Cash was pretty full on but are there any whopper single lines? I dunno.
One of my favourite songs ever is U2's 'Running to Stand Still' which is about heroin addiction and the title is profound for me only in knowing what the song is about. It's so damn apt and no other words, phrases, sentences describe drug addiction so perfectly than those. Also from the song: I see seven towers, but I only see one way out.
"I wear this crown of thorns...." isn't too shabby, personally speaking. Maybe the Christ imagery is hackneyed, but it certainly works out of context, as it pretty succinctly and clearly describes a feeling, and the rest of the song may add onto that, but it works pretty well on its own.

"Tilling my own grave to keep me level.... Jam another dragon down the hole..." - 'Weak and Powerless', A Perfect Circle

''Keep you doped with religion, sex and TV 'till you think you're so clever and classless and free.... But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see...." - 'Working Class Hero', John Lennon

"D-d-d-did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?" - 'Goodbye Blue Sky', Pink Floyd

·
Registered
41 Posts
"I have only two emotions, Careful fear and dead devotion. I can't get the balance right." - The National

"Oh no, my feelings are more important than yours. Oh, drop dead, I don't care, I won't worry, let it go." - The Strokes

"In the silence I hear your fading call. In your eyes I see and feel it all. In my mind I try to let go. It's so hard cause you're all I know" - Washed Out

·
Registered
236 Posts
Modest Mouse - Florida

I stood on my heart supports thinkin'
"Oh my God, I'll probably have to carry this whole load."

Every day in the Army.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
SAY MY NAME
8,467 Posts
It's 7:20 am, and I'm already awoke
I'm bussin' down, all my chronic roaches are smoked
I'm hella mad cos I had me a bag but I lost it,
Or else did I smoke it, or else had to toss it?
Damn you forget shit, fuckin' round with this shit
But I gots to have it, my habit like a addict
I spark the sticky residue, immediately choked
"Don't let it gets the best of me", I tells my throat

Still Rollin' (ft. Quick to Mac) - Lil' ½ Dead

No joke, cause growin' up dirty, hungry and broke
Don't mean I gotta be dirty, hungry and broke
Dude I made a way outta no way, and y'all can too

Change Da Game (ft. Mausberg) - DJ Quik

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Even in a perfect world, where everyone is equal, I would still own the film rights and be working on the sequel.

--Elvis Costello
Every Day I Write the Book

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
"So I just did me some talkin' to the sun, and I said I didn't like the way he was getting things done, he's sleeping on the job..."

·
Registered
INTP
3,475 Posts
There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
--Leonard Cohen: Anthem

Ah, but she can't take you anywhere you don't already know how to go.
--The Eagles: Peaceful Easy Feeling

I know you want me, you know I want you.
--Pitbull: Calle Ocho

61 - 80 of 237 Posts