Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One the key aspects of my personality has always been my apparent ability to pick up on 'vibes' in any given location. For example, I try to avoid going to a certain movie theatre when I can just because it feels swampy & a little depressing even though it's closer & cheaper than the other one that gives me a good feeling.
The other theatre feels calm & inviting & I feel like I have a better time there than the other one.

I've entered buildings that give me an imminent feeling that I need to get out of there. This is when there is no logical reason to feel uncomfortable (thinking of a small fast food joint in this case).

Of course, some places I'm totally apathetic to. As if nothing of real significance has ever occurred there to alter the mood of the environment. My mother is exactly the same way who is an xSFJ (because we react the same way, I never felt totally crazy for all of this).

Does this awareness of the environment sound like Se to you? Or because I'm feeling things that have no logical basis, is it something else?

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
@Loupgaroux

Does this awareness of the environment sound like Se to you? Or because I'm feeling things that have no logical basis, is it something else?
It seems to be an Se-Ni pairing thang

I have a dear ISFP friend that is very much like you (or...even could be you? With the internet's anonymity, who knows, right? He coud be masquerading as a woman :wink:) in this particular area.

He dislikes purchasing used clothing, not because of the elitist factor but because he can sense the emotional life of the previous owner.
Houses have a similar effect on him. When he and his SO bought a home together, they opted for a new building without the burden of the past.

Apparently these are "Empath" traits. Do you relate to any of this? Because this may or may not have anything to do with the functions.

One the key aspects of my personality has always been my apparent ability to pick up on 'vibes' in any given location. For example, I try to avoid going to a certain movie theatre when I can just because it feels swampy & a little depressing even though it's closer & cheaper than the other one that gives me a good feeling.
The other theatre feels calm & inviting & I feel like I have a better time there than the other one.

I've entered buildings that give me an imminent feeling that I need to get out of there. This is when there is no logical reason to feel uncomfortable (thinking of a small fast food joint in this case).
^That definitely sounds like something an Empath would say.

Have you found you have the ability to read an emotional temperature of a room? Or that you pick up on others' emotions and adopt them as your own without realizing it?

I'm not trying to "diagnose" you, mind! :) (I'm not even positive I believe in this wholeheartedly) But you might want to check out this link:
At A Glance: 30 Traits of an Empath | Just Be
Number 28 sounds a bit like what you described...
I've emailed it to friends in the past, and it has helped them greatly :)

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
It sounds like Se. There are some things we can't explain though. I have a pizza 6th sense.. I always know when someone's about to order or cook one.
I'm randomly clairvoyant when it comes to people, personally :)
I always know when a specific person is going to enter-even if I have no reason to expect them. It's awesome... but pretty useless.
If only we could harness this!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Loupgaroux

It seems to be an Se-Ni pairing thang

I have a dear ISFP friend that is very much like you (or...even could be you? With the internet's anonymity, who knows, right? He coud be masquerading as a woman :wink:) in this particular area.

He dislikes purchasing used clothing, not because of the elitist factor but because he can sense the emotional life of the previous owner.
Houses have a similar effect on him. When he and his SO bought a home together, they opted for a new building without the burden of the past.

Apparently these are "Empath" traits. Do you relate to any of this? Because this may or may not have anything to do with the functions.

Have you found you have the ability to read an emotional temperature of a room? Or that you pick up on others' emotions and adopt them as your own without realizing it?
I'm okay with use clothing, probably because I was raised to be frugal. :tongue:

I can usually read the emotional temperature of the room, walking in & thinking "uh-oh what's wrong." About taking on one's emotions, I don't unless I really want to. It might be because they overwhelm me though.

I almost facepalmed at 27 & 29 because they're me so much. :proud:

I'm not trying to "diagnose" you, mind! :) (I'm not even positive I believe in this wholeheartedly) But you might want to check out this link:
At A Glance: 30 Traits of an Empath | Just Be
Number 28 sounds a bit like what you described...
I've emailed it to friends in the past, and it has helped them greatly :)
I got 17\30 give or take.

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have this feeling all of the time.
Sometimes, I'll feel a need to check my phone.
And then, once I have it in my hands for a few seconds, someone calls it.

I can relate to your feeling of buildings, too.
I also have this feeling with people. I can glance at some random, average-looking person from across the room, but feel as if I need to defend myself from them for no apparent reason.

In fact, I experienced something similar to this earlier today. I was reading about a stabbing that happened near where I live but it stood out in my mind for some reason. It practically ravaged my mind and I get very unnerved by the thought of it. I am unsure as of why, since the victim didn't die or even suffer bad injuries and the crime was simple. I just get a strange feeling as if there is something more to the story.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
It sounds a lot like Fi and Se to me.

What's funny is that a lot of people would say it almost sounds like something an Si dominant would say (since it involves the physical surroundings, being finicky, etc), but your example is actually an excellent line between Se and Si. Both functions can be about physical surroundings, just like Ne and Ni can both be about ideas - but your observation is a lot more about what is surrounding you externally as it is in the present. An Si dom may have said "it smells like a sick person was here, I can't stand it anymore, let's go to another theatre." But instead of associating the sense with another sense as a Si dom might, an ISFP would use the sense to feed their Fi value judgments ("this theatre isn't as good," etc).

Comfort with surroundings is an underspoken trait of many ISFP. They notice things I wouldn't even think to pay attention to. I was once on a business trip with an ISFP I work with, and he said he knew I had already made it to the hotel lobby because he recognized my cologne in the hallway on the walk down. You really get a feel for the Fi and Se together when they use their awareness of the present surroundings (Se) as an association with their impression of someone or something (Fi).

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

Of course, some places I'm totally apathetic to. As if nothing of real significance has ever occurred there to alter the mood of the environment. My mother is exactly the same way who is an xSFJ (because we react the same way, I never felt totally crazy for all of this).

This kind of thing happens a lot with me and my with INFP mate as well. We regularly talk about how particular environments "feel" to us - not emotionally, but in terms of an energy (probably similar to what you call 'vibes'). Our actual assessments are often the same, though MBTI-wise our specific cognitive processes are different and I suspect we are using different pathways to come to similar conclusions.

Me with Se-inf and her with no Se.

Now, that isn't to say it isn't Se in your case. Maybe it is.

My mother is exactly the same way who is an xSFJ (because we react the same way, I never felt totally crazy for all of this).
So just taking your life and mine into account, this makes four different MBTI types: ISFP, xSFJ, INFP, INFJ.

I suspect that whatever we feel is a layer of reality separate from any specific cognitive functions (just like all MBTI types could know if we are being touched or if something is hot or cold), and different types/function stacks would take it in and assess it through different pathways.

(And also I don't think this is any sort of woo-woo kind of situation, I think it's probably just a layer of reality that isn't culturally "valid" in some contexts.)

·
Registered
8,689 Posts

I get a funny feeling about a place or person and wrap it up like a rubber band ball and throw it away because it's illogical. Until I have evidence that something is off, I'm not changing my plans.

ETA: If anyone asks about vibes in real life... deny, deny, deny.

Reactions: Loupgaroux

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm randomly clairvoyant when it comes to people, personally :)
I always know when a specific person is going to enter-even if I have no reason to expect them. It's awesome... but pretty useless.
If only we could harness this!
I find it very impressive that you can pick up on it, and how you're aware of your ability to do so.
Why can't you harness it? What would you do with it if you could?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
It's not Se its feeling (and maybe some intuition mixed in there). If you are in a situation and your focus is on the subjective experience 1) that is not extraversion and 2) if there is no tangible evidence to back up your notions it is definitely not Se.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I find it very impressive that you can pick up on it, and how you're aware of your ability to do so.
Why can't you harness it? What would you do with it if you could?
I'm aware of my ability because I verbalize the vibe before it happens-just 'cause the feeling's so powerful. It really freaks people out :) I also get premonitions about radio songs or certain days being significant for a specific person

But I can't just order it like a pizza; it comes and goes as it pleases :/
If I could harness it-not only would it be an excellent party trick, I might be able to decipher abstract patterns in the world, who knows! I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I suspect there's a tangible connection between people--it's only people or songs I have formed a deep bond or emotional connection with that I can sense. A soul thing?
I have no idea; but I like to speculate :)

"Why can't you harness it?"
Hm... well, I never really tried have I? Good question. I just assumed I couldn't.
To psychic school! Away!

Thank you for asking; it made me think on this more deeply.
And welcome to PerC by the way!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds a lot like Fi and Se to me.

What's funny is that a lot of people would say it almost sounds like something an Si dominant would say (since it involves the physical surroundings, being finicky, etc), but your example is actually an excellent line between Se and Si. Both functions can be about physical surroundings, just like Ne and Ni can both be about ideas - but your observation is a lot more about what is surrounding you externally as it is in the present. An Si dom may have said "it smells like a sick person was here, I can't stand it anymore, let's go to another theatre." But instead of associating the sense with another sense as a Si dom might, an ISFP would use the sense to feed their Fi value judgments ("this theatre isn't as good," etc).

Comfort with surroundings is an underspoken trait of many ISFP. They notice things I wouldn't even think to pay attention to. I was once on a business trip with an ISFP I work with, and he said he knew I had already made it to the hotel lobby because he recognized my cologne in the hallway on the walk down. You really get a feel for the Fi and Se together when they use their awareness of the present surroundings (Se) as an association with their impression of someone or something (Fi).
This makes great sense. Sigh, it always comes back to Fi for me no matter how much I try to run from it. :proud:

It's not Se its feeling (and maybe some intuition mixed in there). If you are in a situation and your focus is on the subjective experience 1) that is not extraversion and 2) if there is no tangible evidence to back up your notions it is definitely not Se.
Then would you suppose any tertiary Ni in the works? (Just juggling both of your ideas).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts