Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Apparently, people hate sarcasm. I personally don't get it. I find it quite amusing. I've heard people say its what people say who don't have an intelligent response, but I think well placed sarcasm is incredibly witty. I have gotten "disliked" for my sarcasm, so I've learned to only use it on people Im close to. If you don't like sarcasm, we can't be friends.

I've also had people tell me that sarcasm was "masculine". WTF? How he hell is humor masculine? Is laughing feminine?

I know men can get away with sarcasm more often than women can. But I don't care, Im not gonna stop using it whether its masculine or not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One time I used sarcasm to a teacher. It was funny :3, but I got yelled at afterward. This was in grade.... 3?

Reactions: mr. rozay

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think from an early age i developed a way to be sarcastic but not offensive at the same time. I don't know how or why it is seen as less offensive, But i know when younger, my older sister use to try and copy my habits...try to be sarcastic to people or our parents, and while i got them laughing with what i said, she would get either told off or an angry response

Reactions: Berdudget

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to have a stream of sarcastic commentary running through my head at any given moment, and I've actually had to talk my way out of a few detentions on the occasions when I accidentally verbalized it...

·
Registered
899 Posts
For those of you who enjoy using it, did your sarcastic wit ever get you into trouble as a child? I know I've had plentiful experiences with this sort of scenario.
It still gets me in trouble. =]
Unless with an INTJ. Only people that get it AND can retort even better.

While even non NTs can do sarcasm (have seen ISTJ retorting with a biting level of irony that made all shut up), INTJs do it better. They have this ability to do light sarcasm that is more humorous than deadly. Quite pleasant in my opinion.
Some intp's manage that too.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
It still gets me in trouble. =]
Unless with an INTJ. Only people that get it AND can retort even better.

While even non NTs can do sarcasm (have seen ISTJ retorting with a biting level of irony that made all shut up), INTJs do it better. They have this ability to do light sarcasm that is more humorous than deadly. Quite pleasant in my opinion.
ALL intp's manage that too.
You had a problem in your post:wink:

·
Registered
823 Posts
In all seriousness, sarcasm has gotten me in trouble on multiple occasions. A lot of times, its because people dont pick up on the fact that I'm being sarcastic and they get offended. Either that, or they get mad at the fact that I'm being sarcastic which is evidently rude

·
Registered
244 Posts
I pretty much grew up in a family of sarcastic NTs, not counting my mom, so they rubbed off on me. My older brother was especially sarcastic. I remember several conversations I had with him as a kid:

Me: What're you doing?
Brother: *sitting in front of the computer* Washing dishes

That was when I was about 4. As guessed, by the time I started school, I'd become just about as sarcastic as he was, if not worse, and pissed off a lot of my teachers. I actually got expelled from preschool after two days of attendance. The teachers couldn't tolerate my behavior. I got even more sarcastic as I aged, writing ironic essays for school when I was as young as 8. In high school, most of my English teachers said I had a gift for satire, and although they sometimes found my essays offensive, they found them hard to dislike.

In real life conversations, I use sarcasm for two different purposes: to offend someone, or to be humorous. Or both at the same time.

I offend almost everyone I talk to with blunt, witty comments that people generally perceive as rude. The comments are rude; of that, I'm well aware. I just don't give a damn.
At other times, I say something sarcastic, and people laugh. I find that many of my acquaintances don't know if they should like or hate me, thanks to the sarcasm.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Reactions: L

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
You know how they say that jokes always have a nugget of truth? Well sometimes I hone in on that truth a little too much with my jokes. And I have a dry, deadpan sense of humor, so nobody can tell when I am joking.

So yes, I have and continue to get in trouble with my sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts