Personality Cafe banner

The 100

55K views 142 replies 40 participants last post by  Sev88 
#1 ·
How would you type the character from CW's The 100?

My guesses are:
Octavia- ESFP
Bellamy- ENTJ
Monty- INTP

I can't figure out the other characters' types.

#2 ·
I started another topic like this about a week ago, but I'd be happy either way to have discussion about the show. All we really said on my topic was that Clarke was Fe/Si.

I agree with Monty as INTP. He's a very nice INTP. He's my favorite character. And flawless.

I've seen Octavia said to be an ENFP and her brother an ENTP. I don't quite know where I stand on that. I guess Se is more prominent in Octavia, although I can see where they would see hints of Ne. Bellamy seems Te to me, in all honesty, but I think some people just see evidence of tertiary Fe.

Hm. I have other typings that I've gathered from other sources, but I'm hesitant to state them and claim them for my own.

Jasper is ESFP. That's pretty obvious though.

#3 ·
I've searched for a the 100 typing here to make sure there wasn't anything like that already, but nothing came up. Guess I need to search differently.

I agree with Clarke being Fe/Si.

I see an incredible amount of Se in Octavia, and she does strike me more as an ESFP than an ESTP. I'm not that sure about Bellamy, thought.

Jasper being an ESFP makes sense. I think I've seen him typed as an ENFP somewhere else, but ESFP makes more sense. I dislike him and since I'm unfortunately not that good at having an unbiased look at him because of that, I didn't try to type him.

#4 ·
Hmm well here are my thoughts:
Clarke: ISFJ. Her Si is apparent-she uses her knowledge from her past to inform her decisions. Also, her Fe is her biggest problem. She will always do things for others based on what she thinks is right, and that can cause issues. I actually like Clarke a lot though, she at least thinks clearly (thanks Ti) compared to most female protagonists.
Bellamy:ENTJ. Te user, clearly, especially at first (we see his Fi start coming out in later episodes, which fits with him being a Te dom). i would say Ni over Si, because he doesn't look at his past nearly as much and does not use those experiences to inform his decisions, going more based on big picture ideas. He's also terribly good at manipulating scenarios for his own gain, as is seen mostly in season 1. Se is shown in his fighting abilities and knowledge of his surroundings.
Abby: I don't quite know. I think FJ, based on Fe and Ti. She's not a Ti dom or aux, it's too weak for that, and is overshadowed by Fe. So that's all I've got on her for some reason.
Marcus Cain: I would say INFJ. At the start of the show he is very stuck in a Ni-Ti loop and has gotten so messed up that he views everyone as symbols and ideas, rather than people. But his Fe gets woken back up and he changes. He clearly uses Fe over Fi.

The rest I'm not gonna give reasons for, because they are pretty obvious:
Raven: ISTP (I mean...obviously)
Chancellor whatshisname: ENFJ
Octavia: ESFP
Jasper: ESFP as well
Monty: INTP
Finn: ESFJ

#5 ·
#6 ·
I've searched for a the 100 typing here to make sure there wasn't anything like that already, but nothing came up. Guess I need to search differently.
Don't worry about it. I'm just happy that people are discussing it now.

I don't really have much input at this point except that I agree with most of what's been said here so far.

#7 ·
Clarke- I'd be willing to make a case for ISTP. I don't see her as a dom or aux Fe user at all. Maybe Fi, but not Fe.
Lexi- ESTJ
Bellemy- ENTJ
Octavia- ESFP
Jasper- ISFP (?). He took lead when he needed to, but was reluctant to listen to Clarke's suspicions (meaning he doesn't read between the lines well) inferior Ni.
Monty- INFJ. Refrained from listening to Clarke about the mountain men but always kept his eye out (unlike Jasper who was blinded by a pretty girl and some cake), but a little to jittery to be a T dom/aux
Raven- ISTP
Thelonius- ENFJ
Finn- dead

#8 ·
Clarke- I'd be willing to make a case for ISTP. I don't see her as a dom or aux Fe user at all. Maybe Fi, but not Fe.
That would make a lot of sense to me, honestly. I've tried to compare her to my ISFJ friends, but to no avail - she's just so think-er-y - which I guess has to be Ti because it has to have Fe at the other end.

I also can't help but remember when I first started the show. I was certain she was a Katniss outlet character...

But then again, that's my bias showing. I highly dislike Clarke, so I want a reason why I dislike her. It doesn't make sense for me to dislike such a high-up Fe user.

There's just a big difference when one compares Clarke and Raven. Claiming both as ISTPs would be difficult. And Clarke does use Fe.. just in a very bold way at times.

As for Monty, I... I can see you would see INFJ, but he isn't like the INFJ characters (in general) that I can think of. Then again, he's not like the INTP characters either, but... I don't know. You make some interesting points about INFJ Monty...

ISFP Jasper does sound like something to consider. Especially in the latest episode, it seems that Bellamy's using more Se than him and Bellamy doesn't even have Se as one of his first few functions :/

#10 ·
Clarke - IxFJ. I can see the argument for her as a thinker, but honestly she strikes me more as a feeler forced into a role that requires her to act like a thinker. Like Bellamy said in season 1, "Who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things." We've been seeing her struggling a lot with that, especially recently. Her character development has been my favourite on the show aside from maybe the Blake siblings. I didn't like her at first but she's easily my favourite character right now.

Bellamy - ENTJ. ENTP is possible as well.

Raven - ISTP.

Octavia - I love, love love her character development. She's changed so much since the beginning, and it's been really fascinating. ExFP. I'm leaning more towards ESFP.

Lexa - ISTJ, maybe...? I really don't know. She's so closed off, it's difficult to type her. I understand the argument for ESTJ too, but I really don't have any idea. She's a really interesting character, though. She likes to act like she's made out of stone, but it's almost like the reason she acts like she doesn't care is because she cares so much. She obviously partially blames herself for Costia's death since they wouldn't have killed her if she didn't care for her, so she shuts herself off and doesn't allow herself to feel because she thinks it's for the good of everyone. She's the leader and very powerful, but she doesn't seem to have any support system at all. I really, really hope they don't kill her off in the season finale. I'd really like to see her relationship with Clarke develop more.

Jasper - I was thinking ENFP, but I'm reconsidering. Probably ESFP.

Monty - INTP

Finn - No idea. Don't really care, to be honest.

#11 ·
(Sorry for the double post)

I'm reconsidering my typing for Lexa. Now that I've put more thought into it I really don't think she could be anything other than ExTJ, most likely ESTJ. Looking at the functions (Te, Se, Ne, Fi) I think it's the type that makes the most sense for her.

Once again, though, I won't be sure until they've developed her character more, which is why I really hope they don't kill her off in the season finale. We've only really seen glimpses of what she's like when she isn't being a commander, and I think her relationship with Clarke could help bring out a whole new side of her that she usually forces herself to ignore for the greater good of the clan (or what she views as the greater good of the clan).

I trust the writers as much as I'm able to trust the writers of any TV show, though, and I think they recognize the potential. Especially considering the amount of recognition the show has been getting for being the first CW show with a bisexual female lead. They must know what the reaction would be if they killed off Lexa now of all times.

#12 ·
I actually think that Clarke is ISTJ , I see Te not Ti. Then again, I haven't watched that many episodes.

#13 ·
I don't know for sure, I'm just going to guess here.

Raven- ISTP
Clarke- ENFJ ?
Bellamy- ENTJ
Octavia- ESFP
Lexa- ISTJ
Abby - INFP

Any thoughts on Murphy? I don't know what Lincoln is because he doesn't even talk.

#14 ·
Please don't label Clarke an ENFJ. Please, I can handle anything but that.

Murphy struck me as really bad Fi user. Not sure how.

Lincoln seems ISTP to me, in all honesty.

#16 ·
Please don't label Clarke an ENFJ. Please, I can handle anything but that.
Just out of curiosity, why don't you like her?

Clarke - ISFJ
Bellamy - ENTJ
Monty - INTP

Raven strikes me as an Fi-user.
Nah, I can't see Raven as anything other than an ISTP. I agree with you on everything else, though.

I could see Lincoln as ISTP too, I guess, but I'm not 100% sold.

Also I'm not sure what to type Murphy as. Honestly up until this point in the show I thought he was a sociopath, and one of the writers even called him a "sociopathic murderer" (although I'm not too sure how serious she was being), so I don't know if it's even possible to type him.

#19 ·
I do very much dislike Mary Sue characters, yes. I disliked it enough when the Mary Sue was a frail character and calling them out was fun and trendy (as with Bella Swan and other characters the fit the "classic Sue" tropes), but the wool goes over some eyes when you make a Mary Sue a feminist icon :/ I know I like some Mary Sues as well so I understand that people are still going to like Clarke's character regardless, and I don't expect them to renounce her, but I wish people would be more aware of the cheap tricks writers/producers/actors pull to align the character with what the audience wants.

#22 · (Edited)
Okay, I guess I have to respond now.
@callmeleigha yeah, I really can't go beyond what I said about Clarke. Sadly, I think we disagree fundamentally. While I don't think she is exactly like Katniss, Tris, or Dany, I find her still modeled in that flawless bad*** feminine character archetype, and it annoys me. I also still think the creators want to buzz over her flaws. Yes, the 100 is a show fraught with moral dilemmas, but as the hero the decisions Clarke makes are almost always seen as "right". The exception to this, I think, would be in the most recent plot line with the... rather extreme decision she made, but even in that she is seen as understandable in her decision and it still tries to point to her inexperience as an excuse as opposed to, I don't know, her selfishness.

While I hate Tris and Katniss somewhat more than Clarke (although perhaps a bit less recently because my hatred of them has faltered in lack of exposure to them recently), for Clarke it's raw because she is a high-up Fe character. She's supposed to have those Fe qualities and champion them in a way that Katniss and Tris obviously cannot/will not. I was disappointed to find her just as self-absorbed with her own prerogatives as any other popular female character today.

It's really a personal problem, honestly. And the fact that she is too perfect for me... but that's just a debate in itself and not one that would be appropriate for this thread.

Edit: this is also a derailment and I apologize but in regards to "sociopath," socio/psychopath are "official" terms used in criminal justice, but people with the disorder still find them extremely dehumanizing... and I'm definitely more inclined to take their side on the matter. I think it's a pretty obvious point; society - and I mean roughly any member of society, especially one not aware of ableism - is going to hear the word "sociopath" or "psychopath" and immediately, perhaps subconsciously revoke the humanity they had for described person. We don't see psychopaths and sociopaths as human. Which is sad and a problem in itself, but it is completely reasonable I think that the terms are considered slurs and that those with ASPD want to separate themselves from them.
But, yeah. Sorry. This really isn't the best platform for my anti-ableism activism. (Also I want to make it clear that I don't blame you at all for using the terms; not many people realize the repercussions they have for those with the condition.)

@earlydaze I can understand that sometimes we have to have characters who are of our type that we don't want, yeah. But I still don't want her :/

Honestly yeah, while I would be delighted to see an argument for Te/Fi use I think it's fairly obvious she's am xxFJ. imo she still uses bad and selfish Fe - which to me is the opposite of what a healthy Fe user will do - and the opposite of what a healthy person in general will do - but it is basically Fe nonetheless :/ as for her functions I honestly can see her mostly as an Fe-dom... apart from my personal observation that she is more self-contained like I notice introverts tend to be (compare her to obviously extroverted Bellamy's constant outward intensity, the way he cannot contain himself within himself, even how Abby cannot contain herself within herself), but that's more a personal theory of mine than anything.

As for Si vs Ni, I can see arguments for both. One INFJ who I know relates to her a lot actually argues for Si, because she sees Clarke as more grounded in the past - she does kind things and takes care of others because that's what her dad would do, she uses techniques she saw her mom use, she couldn't visualize a future outside the one that had been given to them as Bellamy did. I actually think it can be argued that her characterization has changed significantly throughout the series. I can see the argument for xSFJ in the first season, but she hardly seems grounded in the past now.

I also personally compare her to Abby (who I believe to be not the best ENFJ, but an ENFJ). Abby can visualize an unorthodox future. Her ability to do this contributed to the survival of the Ark, and has contributed to her decisions on the ground. She is a big picture thinker. Clarke, I would argue, is more... defensive and grounded in a sense. They stayed because they had to defend themselves and they wouldn't make it out of the Grounders' territory alive if they'd left (season 1). They have to get the people in Mount Weather because they have to save them, not because Mount Weather needs to be stopped in the long run. These are weak examples, yes, but I think they are worth considering.

There are other examples but these are the only arguments I feel like articulating right now. I'm hoping to finish season 2, actually. Maybe I'll come back with a different opinion on the matter.

#23 ·
@earlydaze I can understand that sometimes we have to have characters who are of our type that we don't want, yeah. But I still don't want her :/

Honestly yeah, while I would be delighted to see an argument for Te/Fi use I think it's fairly obvious she's am xxFJ. imo she still uses bad and selfish Fe - which to me is the opposite of what a healthy Fe user will do - and the opposite of what a healthy person in general will do - but it is basically Fe nonetheless :/ as for her functions I honestly can see her mostly as an Fe-dom... apart from my personal observation that she is more self-contained like I notice introverts tend to be (compare her to obviously extroverted Bellamy's constant outward intensity, the way he cannot contain himself within himself, even how Abby cannot contain herself within herself), but that's more a personal theory of mine than anything.

As for Si vs Ni, I can see arguments for both. One INFJ who I know relates to her a lot actually argues for Si, because she sees Clarke as more grounded in the past - she does kind things and takes care of others because that's what her dad would do, she uses techniques she saw her mom use, she couldn't visualize a future outside the one that had been given to them as Bellamy did. I actually think it can be argued that her characterization has changed significantly throughout the series. I can see the argument for xSFJ in the first season, but she hardly seems grounded in the past now.

I also personally compare her to Abby (who I believe to be not the best ENFJ, but an ENFJ). Abby can visualize an unorthodox future. Her ability to do this contributed to the survival of the Ark, and has contributed to her decisions on the ground. She is a big picture thinker. Clarke, I would argue, is more... defensive and grounded in a sense. They stayed because they had to defend themselves and they wouldn't make it out of the Grounders' territory alive if they'd left (season 1). They have to get the people in Mount Weather because they have to save them, not because Mount Weather needs to be stopped in the long run. These are weak examples, yes, but I think they are worth considering.

There are other examples but these are the only arguments I feel like articulating right now. I'm hoping to finish season 2, actually. Maybe I'll come back with a different opinion on the matter.

Yesssss ,okay so I'm sticking to xxFJ. I'm not sure I can relate to your point on Abby because I always thought she was an INFP. I don't know though. As for Si and Ni, I found these simplified explanations

Si :There is always a comparison to be made, and if it is familiar, it is to be trusted.
Ni:There is always a future to realize and a significance to be revealed.

Another thing with Ni is "the best at foreseeing how things will play out in the future". I think of Clarke at Mount Weather. From get-go, she didn't trust them and was right not to. Back to Bellamy's imposing ways, yes they were new, but his intentions also came from a place that was meant to manipulate everyone. It's possible that Clarke's intuition rejected Bellamy's way because she had a gut feeling about it? Si isn't off the table for me though. I dunno dude! I guess it's a matter or whether she is Si or Ni at this point. Plus, TV shows usually develop their charas true colors after season 1, and that being said,there's still more to be seen from Clarke

Reactions: Pressed Flowers
#24 ·
But isn't her behavior in Mount Weather resemblant of Si? It wasn't familiar; it wasn't to be trusted. But in a sense it also was familiar - she could recognize what was bad about it from her experiences on the Ark (or maybe she didn't make that connection, it's hard to see inside character's heads, but imo the Ark and Mount Weather are very similar in their situations and some of the moral decisions they make).

And, like you said, those are very simple explanations. Maybe it's because I'm (supposedly) an Ni-user, but I can't fathom even the strongest Si-user not being aware of the future and working to make a better future. Even my mom does that - tries to work for something better, tries to save up money for vacation or get a better job for a better life, for her dreams - and she's about as Si-heavy as it gets.

In regards to her being an ExFJ, honestly I would compare her to the subject of my avatar, Mary from Reign. While they are very different - as they are in extremely different situations and Fe users especially will adapt to their situations and be shaped by them - I still think that extroversion vs introversion is noticeable for them. Mary is not outwardly extroverted in that she is always in other people's business and constantly chatty. She is an extrovert - she needs other people - but as an Fe-dom she knows when to be hesitant, when to show her emotions and how to show her emotions to get what she wants from other emotionally.

Clarke doesn't do this. Clarke is very much a director (which points to INFJ), in that she says what she wants and doesn't waste time with emotional manipulation - she just comes right out and says what she thinks, what she needs. Of course that is very much to blame on her situation - she isn't living in 16th century French court, and a postapockylptic (forgive my spelling) isn't quite the place to use emotional manipulation - but I still think that the way she handles her Fe gruffly and almost secondary is notable, especially when considering how Mary wields it as a definite Fe-dom. (Although I have heard comments that Mary is in fact Fi, mostly everyone I've seen present an argument for her says she represents Fe and until I hear Fi explained I will continue to see her as an Fe-dom. Just as a disclaimer)

I will come back with some Socionics stuff on EJ vs IJ in a little while, actually about to go watch the finale now (for real this time).

#25 ·
Just saw episode 15 (is there an episode 16 out yet?), and : [obviously SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2 EPISODE 15]

- how has no one mentioned Fi for Lincoln? The deputy lady / Octavia's mentor person mentioned how he was always questioning the ways of the Grounders, doing his own things. Maybe Ti would do that, but I can more see Fi doing it. Also how he took Octavia to begin with, how he was fascinated and inspired by her, how he defended her and almost gave his life until she was hurt... that sounds like Fi attachment to me. He does have that typical action here ISTP stuff going on and isn't as whiny and pathetic as Fi protagonists in fantasy (I'm thinking Eragon), but I still think Fi should be considered for him. I'm thinking ISFP honestly, although... I don't know, he seems a lot more action-oriented than I would see an ISFP being. I don't know.

- Clarke reminded me of Regina Mills (pretty much verified ENFJ) in this episode. She has that same commanding tone. She also made some intuitive leaps in this episode, and had some military strategizing skills that my dad and I both found unrealistic, but both those qualities would point more to Ni. I would argue that these aren't character qualities so much as they are the writers projecting idealized characteristics on her, but :/ honestly it does seem Ni

- except at one point she said that she had not thought about the future, she said she couldn't see anything until they got their people back. Which I can understand - bad situations do block functions - I've felt like that too when I have been in extremely bad situations - but with a psychological aspect taken away I think this points away from Ni (or at least Ni-dom). My Ni can be blocked because I'm a secondary Ni user. Her Ni would have a harder time being blocked because she would be a dominant Ni-user, and most theorists I know insist that the primary function can not be turned off.

- also in the last episode (14) she mentioned something like she didn't have a backup plan... I don't know if that's non intuitive or if that is intuitive or what, but it's incredibly stupid to me. You always have a back up plan. You always have a back up plan. You always have a back up plan. But Clarke didn't see the need for a back up plan. Incredibly stupid imo :/

- also yes I will still be back with socionics stuff to look at for Clarke

- Monty (my baby) also acted like tertiary Fe in this episode. Instead of mixing forward, he was stuck in one place because he realized that his actions had hurt someone, and he couldn't continue on out of guilt. That's... pretty Fe and emotional, especially given that he's a male character. It's very different from what say Raven would do, as a Ti-dom.

- Lexa is so Te.

- Bellamy is so inferior Fi.

- Octavia ;(

And that sums up my functional thoughts for this episode. In short, I think Fi should be considered for Lincoln, ENFJ is a possibility for Clarke but she's still incredibly stupid, and Monty seems to be IxFJ from this episode. I'll return with socionics stuff soon*.

#26 ·
Well lack of a backup plan could be inferior Ti. Which would lead toward ExFJ. The lack of future focus at this moment is probably the stress of the situation.

The more the show goes, the less I think ISFJ, and the more I think Fe dom. She's too commanding naturally for IxFJ. I would go Ni over Si for her, for the reasons you listed. Thus, perhaps ENFJ, but certainly not a healthy one.
I know you don't want her, but just remember you have MLK. That makes it all better, right?

Siderail-about Katniss, I don't see how she's selfish. She cares about her people above others (selfish), but she actually asks to be sacrificed for them to live. She wants to be killed rather than have her sister killed (when she volunteers), she tells Haymich to save Peeta, not her. She later on tells President Snow just to kill her rather than kill her family. That is all selfless behavior to me.
Tris on the other hand is an idiot.

Anywho, I totally see ISFP for Lincoln. Something about ISTP never felt right about him. Fi, since it's introverted, 'hides' in a way sometimes with people. I think you made a great case for him being ISFP.

PS: Tertiary Fe is ExTP rather than IxFJ. IxFJ is aux. Not sure which way you meant on that one.

#27 ·
@CourtneyJD - I get the terms "tertiary" and "auxiliary" confused! Blame it on my inferior Ti. Pretty sure I wasn't referring to any ExTPs in this post, and just meant "auxiliary"

My friend and I have written entire essays (among ourselves, of course) about the selfishness of Katniss. It really wouldn't be wise of me to bring that into this topic :/ Essentially she's a Mary Sue (but that's a given), but she also does a lot of things that I find extremely selfish (even though they're paraded as not being such...) We can discuss it over messaging sometime, if you'd like. I'm always open for character discussions.

For Clarke I was actually going to say that she doesn't seem to have inferior Ti. While she does make some pretty stupid decisions, they aren't the crux of her character. She is also heralded as being logical, a good thinker, a strategist... which an ENFJ could be called (someday...), but not ever, I think, an ENFJ in her teens. Maybe an ENFJ in a rare moment, but not throughout the whole show. I still say she probably leads with an introverted function.

I think it is also good to compare her to... any Fe-dom you can think of. Regina Mills (pretty sure she is accepted as one) is an ENFJ, and she is very independent. In some ways one could see her as introverted and anti-Fe in that she has no problem going against the flow of others emotions, and even tortures others. She spends a lot of time by herself, and doesn't seem to have a need for reassurance. But if you look closely she actually does - she falls apart without Henry (and was just a mess before Henry and after her father died), she always had to have little spurts of people checking in on her and on her side when she was mayor, and I remember her saying a few times that she only ever wanted her people to see her as the good queen like they would have Snow White. That's an Fe-dom. Seeking approval, needing to have people on her side, being motivated to please people, but also to be recognized and loved by people.

I don't see that with Clarke. With Clarke I see someone who likes to help people, but who isn't too concerned if they don't like her. She is rarely on the best terms with everyone in her camp, but she is hardly haunted by this. She doesn't mention, "I just want them to like me," "Why does everyone hurt me," "Why is everyone so mean and cruel," "Why can't we all just get along." She knows why they don't get along. She understands that not everyone is going to like her. She doesn't seem to take even assassination attempts personally, probably because she understands that's the nature of her role (I do remember her taking the assassination attempt from Mount Weather personally, but she didn't take the other casual attempts on her life in this way). She doesn't think the Grounders are mean and cruel and hardly spends time to analyze why those in Mount Weather are so heartless and "savage" themselves - that's just the way they are, and we have to act to deal with that. She also understands what it takes for the alliance to hold together, but she isn't out there promoting mutual games for the Grounders and Sky People to get them closer together. She's in her head. She's making plans, she's strategizing, she's just dealing with what they have. Honestly it is seeming more Ni to me than Si, and I think I'm lending heavily towards INFJ with an assertive core for Enneagram for her, maybe even INFJ 8.

Just for good measure, you can compare her lightly with other Fe-doms. Mary Stuart, mentioned earlier, also a CW female protagonist in a higher position even than Clarke. She got assassination attempts very frequently, and it seems that each one hurt her personally even when they didn't hit the mark. Regina Mills, already discussed, seeking approval in a way that Clarke never does. Also, I even think Glinda from Wicked. As an Fe-dom I feel far from Glinda myself - I am not shallow or unkind in the way she is, or at least i like to believe I'm not - but when I hear Thank Goodness, I can relate. I want to be loved by everyone, valued by everyone, at the "center" socially like Glinda is here... but I am also very aware of how that wouldn't make me totally happy, as Glinda contemplates in this song. I bring it up because... I can see Regina expressing the feelings in this song. I can see Mary expressing the feelings in this song. But I can not, at all, see Clarke expressing these feelings. Clarke wants the safety of her people, the survival of her people in the 100 especially, and I think she wants a better world on the ground, but I don't think she wants to be their "queen" or anything. Perhaps that is looking at it too closely, but... My thoughts still stand.

In conclusion: right now the argument for ISFJ is hard, but I do think the argument for INFJ is still pretty open.

#28 ·
@alittlebear Ok that all makes sense! I just wanted to make sure what you were referring to about Monty, b/c there is no way I could see him as ExTP. :kitteh:

For Clarke, one problem in typing her is that they have tried to make her good at all things, bad at none (as you were saying before), thus we can't type her conclusively. INFJ enneagram 8 is rare, very rare. Mind you, if they want all these contradicting things she's good at, then that very well could be the case.

I find the rest of the characters on this show much easier to type than her.

#31 · (Edited)
@<span class="highlight"><i><a href="http://personalitycafe.com/member.php?u=167082" target="_blank">alittlebear</a></i></span> Ok that all makes sense! I just wanted to make sure what you were referring to about Monty, b/c there is no way I could see him as ExTP. :kitteh:

For Clarke, one problem in typing her is that they have tried to make her good at all things, bad at none (as you were saying before), thus we can't type her conclusively. INFJ enneagram 8 is rare, very rare. Mind you, if they want all these contradicting things she's good at, then that very well could be the case.

I find the rest of the characters on this show much easier to type than her.
Monty as an ExTP is quite hilarious.

Also, I've been watching this video and I think it gives an interesting overview of Clarke. In it, the Fe is definite - still not dominant, I don't think, but you can see how she addresses "us," "we," how she uses group terms rather than personal ones. She also does some ethical things - she doesn't comfort the poor little girl who is so hurt that Se was driven to murder, as I think an Fe-dom would do (okay Regina obviously didn't do that in a similar situation, but she didn't let the little girl know how upset she was with her either). She makes hard decisions and she tells it like it is, which are qualities that Fe-doms usually struggle with until they develop their Ti better.

As for Enneagram, this video made me change my mind a bit. I think she's 2w1 6w5 8w9, probably sp/so. From this video I was reminded that she is driven to help people, to make get approval... not in the way that an Fe-dom 2w1 would, but still in the way a 2w1 would. She wants personal competence in doing the right thing which says 1, but I think that her assertive 8 qualities are pretty hard to ignore, and that they have to have some bearing on her tritype, so I give her a 1 wing at her core to account for the 1-ness and her weakest fix at an 8 (tempered by the 9; I see no 7 in her, lol). As for 6w5, I think that's pretty obvious. Again she's no 7 in any way, but she is driven towards security, especially for her people (combined 6 with the 2 core).

The tritype description doesn't fit perfectly, but I think a bit of it rings true for Clarke.
268, 682, 826 - The Rescuer: By nature, you want to be in charge of your world and are attracted to the noble cause. You wish to shield others from harm and challenge what is unjust. You want to know the rules to feel safe to break them. Your life mission is to track the needs of the vulnerable and take action on their behalf. A true rescuer, you are happiest when you can use your people skills and desire to protect others to help those that feel alone, desperate and are in a crisis. Your blind spot is that you can be so identified with the pride of knowing how to help others that you may give unsolicited advice or meddle in the affairs of others. You over-give to others to be well-liked, which prevents a deeper connection to your true self. Your growing edge is to recognize that always rescuing others does not mean that you will always be liked and cared for in return, and that it may prevent them from learning how to care for themselves. True protection comes from listening to higher guidance and knowing when to assist others and when to let them learn for themselves.
Edit: I also want to point out that any FJ 8 is going to be rare. ENFJ 3s are common (and 3s are apart of the assertive triad), but I don't see her as a 3 at all - she really doesn't seem to want recognition so much as she wants to do the right thing and help people, which is really a 2w1 thing. It's still weird how assertive she is, but I think this general description shows the powerful influence 8 can have, making a person more assertive even if it is supposedly their weakest fix. Maybe she's actually got 8w9 as her second fix... I don't know. But I really do think 268 tritype fits her best. Maybe 261, but I think she's more 8-ish than 1-ish as far as overall traits go.

Also if she is 2w1 core... I really don't see her struggling with pride in her ability to care for others? I mean I see a lot of faults in her, but pride isn't one of them. She's drawn to care for others yes, but doesn't seem to have the 2 faults as much... which isn't usually the case of someone's core, for them not to show the faults of that core.

But if she is a 2 core, I would actually change her variants to so/sp, as she's definitely more the SO 2 than she is the SP 2. I would still support sp/so if she's actually a 6 or 8 core though. It just depends.

#30 ·
@callmeleigha No, I think they don't address her flaws because they don't - even as @CourtneyJD says, they're trying to stuff her with good qualities and are ignoring the real mistakes she makes. Like yes, she didn't have a backup plan, and that's not good, but then they brushed over that completely and made her out to be this master strategist at the beginning of the next episode. No she can't forgive her mom, but her mom was totally in the wrong anyway (we never get a reason for why she turned in Clarke's dad, do we?) and she just doesn't have the understanding Clarke has to do what she must.

But if you could point out some of her flaws - you are right in that I am having a hard time seeing what flaws the creators want us to see with Clarke, the things they want us to see her struggling with - I would be interested in that. I can't see those things, but if we were told what flaws she is supposed to be perceived as having I think that could help unite a bit at least wth uncovering her inferior function(s).

I really don't want to get into a Mary Sue debate right now... The Mary Sue has adapted from the benign and helpless typical Sue to being the flawless and emotionally remote action hero "Katniss Era" Sues, as my friend and I refer to them as, but that's really not the discussion for this topic. I will say that I have no problem with strong women - I am a woman, and I don't consider myself a misogynist - but I am bothered when they are handled unrealistically. Octavia and Raven are, in my opinion, good, strong, "bad***" female characters who are flawed, who the show shows as flawed and who grow to be "strong" in a way that was unthinkable on television a century earlier. They're not my favorite characters for personal reasons - I do prefer obviously Fe-driven characters - but they are admirable and they are well written, and I can appreciate that. I can say the same for young Arya Stark, for Tris' friend Christina, for Hermione Granger, Annabeth Chase, and a variety of other stereotypically "strong" female characters who defy the typical delicate female mold. But I can't say that about other characters (some whom I have mentioned earlier).
Ack, I'm doing it again. Talking about what I said I wouldn't. :/ maybe we can start a chat room for this or something in the SPAM or discussion forum.

Do you have any opinion on what I said for her being not an Fe-dom, but maybe an Ni-dom? I don't think my obvious bias crept into that so much. I just don't think she's an Fe-dom because she is so different from other Fe-doms in the way she deals with others and what she seeks personally.

I actually have an amendment to those statements in just a second based on a video I just watched of Clarke's character, but I will come back with those things momentarily (I have to watch the video again and I lose everything I've typed up if I don't submit it now). Will be back momentarily ^^

Also, just a question again - is episode 16 out, or is that airing on Wednesday? The two part finale thing confused me and I'm afraid to look it up for fear of spoilers.

#32 ·
#33 ·
I'll join soon. I'll have to gather my thoughts and go into selectively Ti mode first though. It something I'm passionate about but also slightly irrational about, so I'm going to have to gather the rational things my friend has told me concerning the argument to present them. Debates are fun, but not always my shining place.

Thank you for making the thread though! :)

Honestly analyzing Clarke is helping me like her a bit more... I really did like her at first, but the obvious way she was modeled after Katniss (at first - she has taken on her own character now, without a doubt, but at the beginning of the series...) really annoyed me, and that got me to see her flaws and lack of flaws more vividly. I think part of it is because she is an Fe user and I should be able to see myself in her as say I see so many T-dom/aux es and introverts relating to Katniss, and so many Fi users relating to Tris... but I can't do that because her flaws are (in my opinion) so glossed over (I relate to character fault; I have a hard time relating to characters with few weaknesses).

It really is personal, but I think there is underlying logic behind it as well.

Reactions: Courtalort
#41 ·
I can see Cage as an ISFP. Or, maybe, INTJ. A very unhealthy one, of course. I'm not sure why you see him as an extrovert, specifically. The fact that he was so willing to sacrifice other people to get out of Mount Weather seems Ni paired with Fi, because he didn't even seem to be very caring with the mountain people, so getting out of there was more of a personal desire (Fi). I don't think Se is his dominant function because, although he acts impatiently and wants to implement the treatment quickly, he doesn't show many others signs of Se (not sufficient to seem like it's his primary functions). Also, the impatience could be either strong Se or inferior Se manifesting. Him not showing much Se could be attributed to his position of power and importance, and the fact that very little of his sentimental or deep moments are shown, but it is hard to say.

Anyway, I see lots of Fi and Ni, so those options would make sense to me. I know Te in INTJ is auxiliary, but he could have an underdeveloped function. After all, before he went against his dad, he basically didn't have to worry about much. And now, he is realizing how rushed that decision was.

#43 ·
@alittlebear I totally thought I had replied to your post, I'm sorry! I'll reply to it later when I'm able to collect my thoughts a little better, but if you've seen the finale yet (episode 16), did it change your opinion of Clarke at all?

(spoilers for the episode underneath)

After what she did, I don't think it's fair to call her selfish at all. She knew the emotional consequences it would have on her, and we saw the emotional consequences that it had on her, but she did it anyway because she knew that the only way to save her people was to sacrifice hundreds of others, some of whom had helped, some of whom were children. It was such an interesting parallel to Lexa's decision, actually, and I feel like it left an opening for them to make up, or at least start to, because Clarke understands now. She understood to a degree before, but she understands so much more now. In fact, what she did was arguably worse, because the body count was higher, and in a way she betrayed the Mountain Men that were on her side, that had risked their lives to help her cause. We all know Clarke's very good at holding grudges, though, and she might blame Lexa for putting her in a position where she was forced to make that decision, so who knows. I think she's matured past that, though, and I don't think she's going to try to blame anyone for her decision. I ship Clexa and all, but at this point I just want them to make up and be friends at least, because I feel like Lexa's the only person that could understand Clarke right now, and she needs that so badly.

Jason Rothenberg:
“Literally from day one of this season, I knew Clarke was going to do it. She was going to get her people back, but she was going to have to do something so dark, so intense, that she would be broken by it… She was going to look at herself as a monster.”
The girl we met in the pilot is practically broken beyond recognition, and I honestly don't think she'll ever be able to forgive herself. She's never going to be able to enjoy that victory, she's never going to feel pride when she remembers, never. Ugggh, I'm so emotional about this. And excited. And just... wow! I can't wait to see where season 3 takes her.

#59 ·
[SPOILERS FOR THE SEASON 2 FINALE AHEAD]

@alittlebear I totally thought I had replied to your post, I'm sorry! I'll reply to it later when I'm able to collect my thoughts a little better, but if you've seen the finale yet (episode 16), did it change your opinion of Clarke at all?

(spoilers for the episode underneath)

After what she did, I don't think it's fair to call her selfish at all. She knew the emotional consequences it would have on her, and we saw the emotional consequences that it had on her, but she did it anyway because she knew that the only way to save her people was to sacrifice hundreds of others, some of whom had helped, some of whom were children. It was such an interesting parallel to Lexa's decision, actually, and I feel like it left an opening for them to make up, or at least start to, because Clarke understands now. She understood to a degree before, but she understands so much more now. In fact, what she did was arguably worse, because the body count was higher, and in a way she betrayed the Mountain Men that were on her side, that had risked their lives to help her cause. We all know Clarke's very good at holding grudges, though, and she might blame Lexa for putting her in a position where she was forced to make that decision, so who knows. I think she's matured past that, though, and I don't think she's going to try to blame anyone for her decision. I ship Clexa and all, but at this point I just want them to make up and be friends at least, because I feel like Lexa's the only person that could understand Clarke right now, and she needs that so badly.

Jason Rothenberg:

The girl we met in the pilot is practically broken beyond recognition, and I honestly don't think she'll ever be able to forgive herself. She's never going to be able to enjoy that victory, she's never going to feel pride when she remembers, never. Ugggh, I'm so emotional about this. And excited. And just... wow! I can't wait to see where season 3 takes her.
I will say I don't think what Clarke did in this episode was selfish. It was sad, but it wasn't selfish. I still don't like the girl - I just don't - but she wasn't selfish in this episode. I was annoyed by her decisions (I must say), and throughout the episode I found myself looking at my dad, going, "That was totally wrong... They didn't have to do that..." but of course I realize that in the show universe, they probably did have to do that. For whatever reason.

I also do like how the show handled Clarke's character this season. I mean, I still hate her, but I like how they made her struggle with morally questionable decisions where people die until she had to make the ultimate decision to kill all those people for those she wanted to save. That was somewhat thoughtful on part of the producers.

I'm mostly upset that she brought Monty into it. Of course she had to, but... I mean, she and Bellamy chose to take part in that. Monty can't say no. Monty was doing what they said was best. Monty is going to have to bear the hatred of his best friend, and Monty is going to have to bear this extreme guilt for something he didn't even decide for the rest of his life. The previous episodes showed he already has an easily-made-guilty conscience, and this is just going to ruin him more.

But of course I can't really fault Clarke for that. Obviously that's not something that the producers wanted the struggle to be about. I do just feel bad for poor Monty though :/

I do think now that Monty is probably INFJ. He was way too emotional about the whole thing, in a way I don't think an INTP teenage boy would be. A strong Ti user would understand why those measures were necessary. Monty didn't. He also just doesn't show any sign of Si imo, I mean it is an introverted function so he wouldn't necessarily show it, but just what he's focused on and his way of problem solving gives me more an Ni feel.

Also, pretty sure now that Murphy is an Fi-user. Not sure what level of Fi he has, but he couldn't understand Jaha's "sacrifice the one for the many" morality and I mean, just looking back one can see how he values his own personal values over standard values. The way he reacted to the lighthouse made me think he was definitely high-up Se user, with very very very very very had Ni. I was watching the show and just groaning at his lack of caution. (Not that Jaha's any better, but... Jaha's been questionable throughout this season.)

Also - Lincoln is so Fi, lol.

Aaaand I think that's all I got out of this episode, typing wise. It wrapped up in an eventful and heartbreaking way. I just hope they don't get too weird with this Circe-esque plot line with Jaha.

Any thoughts on Maya? I would say Fi-dom, but I don't know, she could use Fe. (I'm basing Fi on her expressions, the way she carries herself and expresses herself compared to Clarke [who she stands as an obvious parallel for].)

#44 ·
I'm actually going to have to avoid this thread for the next few days (and probably Tumblr too...) because I wasn't able to watch the episode tonight. I always watch it with my dad, and I'm at college at the moment so I don't see him until the weekend. I'm really excited about it now though, I'm curious what it is about the episode that could change my opinion about Clarke. (I do want to like her - at least partially - and I did at the beginning, she just lost me somewhere along the way.)

Thank you for adding the spoiler tag though. That's greatly appreciated.

Edit: and don't worry about not replying right away! I do still want to continue the discussion, but whenever you're ready do discuss it is fine with me.

Reactions: leigha
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.