Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear @Enfpleasantly ,

Yesterday was a successful start. Congratulations and I am so proud of you!!:proud::proud: The biggest hurdle in developing a new habit is gaining momentum. So, in an effort to gain momentum Day 2 Goal is:

• Put on your work out clothes
  • Lace up your athletic shoes
  • Get on the Elliptical
  • Work out for 10 minutes
  • Record your accomplishment here

Quote for today: “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” ~ Tony Robbins

Just imagine how you will feel when you achieve your goal!!! Look forward to hearing about your Day 2 success.....

With warmest regards,
An ENTJ committed to keeping you accountable:ninja:

PS. @MsBossyPants ... please have the paddle ready just in case :wink:

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Thank you!!

I think this is hilarious because you and @JJ Yossarian started threads about this, except he put it in the ENFP forum where it got very little feedback; his workout routine is insane by the way. Anyway, I mentioned wanting motivation to work out in one little post and I have ENTJ's up my ass! Haha! That's exactly what I need!

And I must say, you all definitely know how to motivate an ENFP! I will definitely do this today! I used to get on it almost everyday for at least 45 minutes, but I have slacked wayyyyyy too much. Time to get back in the habit again!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As they say....be careful what you ask for..... LOL! Cool! Yes get back on it doggone it. Regularly exercising helps me to refrain from choking the shit out of people, cursing them out, snapping their heads off, etc. Seriously though, exercising regularly has been instrumental in keeping me out of my head. I can live up there if I am not careful.

I have a definite fitness goal in mind so I hired a personal trainer, I maintain a fitness journal for the most part, and I have a pic of my ideal body posted on my mirror. I have til July 31st to reach my weight loss goal. So, keeping you accountable helps me to stay accountable. I'm going to have to put my personal training on hold for a minute so I guess I will be clipping workouts out of the magazines and implementing them in the interim.

My fitness goal today is to work out with my trainer and walk/job my 5+ mile route. Next week (starting on tomorrow) I must crack down on my poor eating habits. So, you can kick my ass with that one.....how about that for an even swap? Maybe @MsBossyPants or someone else can post some scrumptious, nutritious, easy meal ideas??????

Here's to being fit and fine in the summertime......

DESIRE * DISCIPLINE * DETERMINATION

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here is a little nudge your way :)

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
As they say....be careful what you ask for..... LOL! Cool! Yes get back on it doggone it. Regularly exercising helps me to refrain from choking the shit out of people, cursing them out, snapping their heads off, etc. Seriously though, exercising regularly has been instrumental in keeping me out of my head. I can live up there if I am not careful.

I have a definite fitness goal in mind so I hired a personal trainer, I maintain a fitness journal for the most part, and I have a pic of my ideal body posted on my mirror. I have til July 31st to reach my weight loss goal. So, keeping you accountable helps me to stay accountable. I'm going to have to put my personal training on hold for a minute so I guess I will be clipping workouts out of the magazines and implementing them in the interim.

My fitness goal today is to work out with my trainer and walk/job my 5+ mile route. Next week (starting on tomorrow) I must crack down on my poor eating habits. So, you can kick my ass with that one.....how about that for an even swap? Maybe @MsBossyPants or someone else can post some scrumptious, nutritious, easy meal ideas??????

Here's to being fit and fine in the summertime......

DESIRE * DISCIPLINE * DETERMINATION
YES!

Ever read a post and thought "That sounds EXACTLY like something I would say!"?

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Maybe @MsBossyPants or someone else can post some scrumptious, nutritious, easy meal ideas??????
I'm sure by now everyone is sick of hearing about how I'm a vegan, and most people probably can't live without their meat or cheese. So, I'm not sure my food advice would be welcome. But if you're curious ...

My day usually goes like this:

breakfast: Coach's oats, 1 tablespoon ground flax seed, fruit, nuts, almond milk

snack: fruit

lunch: sprouted whole-grain flourless bread, with protein-based spread or patty:
peanut or almond butter, or hummus, or veggie patty, or avocado and walnuts
mixed vegetable salad, balsamic vinegar
iced coffee

snack: kale chips, or nuts, or popcorn

dinner: homemade black bean and kidney bean chili with tomatoes, greeen chilis,
brown rice or quinoa
oven roasted veggies

snack: l cup soy milk
1 cup frozen mixed blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
mixed in blender

Here is my best advice for healthy eating if you don't want to quit eating animals:

1. Don't put anything white on your plate.
2. Don't eat anything that comes in a box.
3. Five vegetables and 2 or 3 fruits a day. (No, I'm not kidding)
4. Thirsty? Water.
5. Kick your sugar habbit. That includes sweeteners.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
@n2freedom Ok, I did 31 minutes on the elliptical today...yes, I know 31 is an awful number, but that's because I watched calories and needed it to be a nice even number :) Which function makes me do that crap? Does OCD belong to a certain function? ;)

Anyway, this is exactly what pushes me. When I lost all my baby weight, I was in a biggest loser competition online for a Mom group I belonged to. I kicked ass...and I mean it; I lost double the percentage of body weight the second place competitor did...and I had one of the median BMI's. We had to weigh in every week by taking a picture of our feet on a scale and posting it. At the end of the competition, the winner had to post before and after pics....which was dreadful for me. I did NOT want to post those before's, but if I wanted my $300, then I needed to post em, so I did :)

The accountability involved in that competition was much like this...it works beautifully for me.

@MsBossyPants I eat a lot of natural almonds and avocado. I drizzle honey on almonds when I'm really craving something sweet. Lately I've been slacking though, so I need to cut it out!

Oh and to add to your great tips:

*Buy the food on the outside walls of the grocery store. The middle aisles are all the processed stuff.
*Anything made by man should be eaten in moderation. Anything that grows naturally is pretty much limitless (just another way of saying your 2nd tip)

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Good for you!

One thing worth noting... BMI is worthless. It's an indicator that applies to groups, like an insurance actuarial table. A much better indicator for an individual to track progress is body fat/lean body mass. That gives a much more definitive view of progress and fitness level that is tied to your body type and goals. The "Navy" method of determining it works well enough for tracking purposes and only requires a scale and a tape measure.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Good for you!

One thing worth noting... BMI is worthless. It's an indicator that applies to groups, like an insurance actuarial table. A much better indicator for an individual to track progress is body fat/lean body mass. That gives a much more definitive view of progress and fitness level that is tied to your body type and goals. The "Navy" method of determining it works well enough for tracking purposes and only requires a scale and a tape measure.
Oh I know! Some people have different bone and muscle structures. I just meant my BMI wasn't really high; meaning, I wasn't like 300 lbs and losing 50 lbs was effortless. Losing those 50 lbs took dedication and work for me; especially because my metabolism had slowed wayyyy down. Jump starting that was the hardest part for me.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Oh I know! Some people have different bone and muscle structures. I just meant my BMI wasn't really high; meaning, I wasn't like 300 lbs and losing 50 lbs was effortless. Losing those 50 lbs took dedication and work for me; especially because my metabolism had slowed wayyyy down. Jump starting that was the hardest part for me.
Excellent :)

I used BMI until I landed in the "normal" range, then switched to measuring body fat percentage to track continuing progress. In some ways it was a coping mechanism for me. After dropping the weight, it was freaky to see BMI going back up as I shifted to adding back muscle weight. It felt like a backslide, though it wasn't. Body fat percentage gives me a much clearer view of where I stand.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Excellent :)

I used BMI until I landed in the "normal" range, then switched to measuring body fat percentage to track continuing progress. In some ways it was a coping mechanism for me. After dropping the weight, it was freaky to see BMI going back up as I shifted to adding back muscle weight. It felt like a backslide, though it wasn't. Body fat percentage gives me a much clearer view of where I stand.
As far as your workout routine, my Husband works out regularly as well, but he says a rest period is a necessity in building muscle efficiently. For instance, he will do only arms one day, then abs the next day, legs another day, etc. etc. My cousin is an amateur body builder and he's the one who informed my Husband of this technique. Have you heard this before?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
As far as your workout routine, my Husband works out regularly as well, but he says a rest period is a necessity in building muscle efficiently. For instance, he will do only arms one day, then abs the next day, legs another day, etc. etc. My cousin is an amateur body builder and he's the one who informed my Husband of this technique. Have you heard this before?
Absolutely. That's why I rotate through. I am not attempting to build really big mass, so an every other day thing works for me, but if I were, I would do a one day on, two days off for each muscle group.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure by now everyone is sick of hearing about how I'm a vegan, and most people probably can't live without their meat or cheese. So, I'm not sure my food advice would be welcome. But if you're curious ...

My day usually goes like this:

breakfast: Coach's oats, 1 tablespoon ground flax seed, fruit, nuts, almond milk

snack: fruit

lunch: sprouted whole-grain flourless bread, with protein-based spread or patty:
peanut or almond butter, or hummus, or veggie patty, or avocado and walnuts
mixed vegetable salad, balsamic vinegar
iced coffee

snack: kale chips, or nuts, or popcorn

dinner: homemade black bean and kidney bean chili with tomatoes, greeen chilis,
brown rice or quinoa
oven roasted veggies

snack: l cup soy milk
1 cup frozen mixed blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
mixed in blender

Here is my best advice for healthy eating if you don't want to quit eating animals:

1. Don't put anything white on your plate.
2. Don't eat anything that comes in a box.
3. Five vegetables and 2 or 3 fruits a day. (No, I'm not kidding)
4. Thirsty? Water.
5. Kick your sugar habbit. That includes sweeteners.
I love the 1-5 guidelines. Thanks. How about this? I'll follow your 1-5 guidelines Sat 4/28 - Fri 5/4th and do vegetarian diet one of the 7 days. @Enfpleasantly ...I'm counting on you, MsBossy, and Mr. Catfish avatar man to keep in check. LOL! I have to remember his username. *giggles*

Oh this is going to be so effing exciting! Congrats Pleasantly on your achievement today. YOU ARE ROCKING IT!!! :D

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I wasn't like 300 lbs and losing 50 lbs was effortless.
Being 300lbs and losing 50lbs isn't exactly effortless for some people either. Especially if they have a very muscular bone structure.

I think losing weight in general takes a lot of effort, dedication, and will power to break bad habits and be consistent.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Being 300lbs and losing 50lbs isn't exactly effortless for some people either. Especially if they have a very muscular bone structure.

I think losing weight in general takes a lot of effort, dedication, and will power to break bad habits and be consistent.
Yes you are right, but losing 50 lbs for someone 300 lbs will come off much faster than someone who weighs 160 lbs, you know? That's all I meant; I wasn't trying to minimize weight loss for larger people.

I know a woman who weighs about 300 lbs and she can simply make one change, like diet alone, and drop 20 lbs in a month without it being visibly noticeable. At my heaviest, it took me months and strict diet AND exercise to drop 20 lbs. The more weight I lost, the slower it started to come off. Then when I got to near my lowest weight, it would take weeks just to drop 1 lb. It took me 10 months of strict diet and exercise to lose the full 50 lbs. That's all I was trying to explain when I mentioned that.

1 - 20 of 2223 Posts