1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Description of 4x3

This is from the same book by Riso.

Quote:

The combination of Four and three traits produce a subtype which is both emotionally volatile and contradictory. (This is true for the Three with a Four-wing as well) While the two component types may on the surface appear to be opposites, they have much in common, and if properly used can do much to offset some of their individual weaknesses. Fours are often introverted,withdrawn, and self-absorbed, whereas Threes tend to be extroverted,interpersonal, and goal-oriented. The Four’s fear of exposing itself (in a sense, the "fear of success") is the opposite of the Three's self display and competitive desire for success. The Four's introvertedself-consciousness contrasts with the Three's charm and other extroverted social skills. As conflicting as these two component types are, both are nevertheless concerned with self-image and self-esteem issues. Fours tend to develop a self-image which is largely a private matter. Fours are trying to become their self-image through their imagination and feelings. Threes developa more public self-image and try to get others to validate its reality throughtheir achievements. Both opposing sets of traits can coexist in the sameperson, although uneasily...

Because of the Three-wing, healthy people of this subtype can be sociable,ambitious, and accomplished, particularly in the arts: they possess both creativity and the drive to "make their mark". They are in touch with who they are and who they are becoming, but with a more extraverted, energetic dimension to them. In general, Fours tend to be private and not particularly action-oriented, but with a healthy Three-wing, this impulse is tempered by adesire to accomplish and to improve the self. To do this, Fours with a Three-wing know that they must produce, and that they must be involved with people. Thus the Three-wing tends to be more goal-oriented, sociable, and aware of interpersonal "politics" than the Five-wing. Healthy Fours with aThree wing want to be successful, but distinctive, and are willing to put in the necessary work to actualize their dreams. Both subtypes can be highly creative, but the Four with a Three-wing is more aware of creating with an audience in mind. They are adaptable, sensitive to others, and have a good sense of humor.

This description fits me to a tee. I'm always creating with an audience. What do you all think?

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Yep, sounds like me. :tongue:

I both like and hate my three-wing. It makes me more extroverted, more sociable and probably makes me more goal-oriented, but the differences between the three and the four creates a lot of tension.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I definitely recognize the authenticity vs. success split; creating with an audience in mind. I seem to be unable to create stuff that's "just for me" - everything I make has to be something that I could show people without feeling ashamed. In fact, I always end up showing people what I've made, even though I feel like a pathetic, weak fame-whore when I do.

I also relate to the part about creating a self-image. I've had several throughout my life. It's something I like and hate. I like that I can explore different sides of humanity through myself and I like that I can "be" whomever I want, but when it comes down to it, I really want to just be me and since "me" is a composition of different personas, it gets kinda hard to distinguish between myself and my idealized self-image. As for the self-images I create, I do seek validation of it from others, even though I do it in a very indirect manner. It's something I'm very ashamed about though; even writing it anonymously on a discussion board kinda feels like what I imagine it must feel like to confess a murder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts