Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just saw "The Avengers", and it was very interesting, because i was all aware of personality types and shit. Obviously, Tony Stark is an ENTP. But it wasn't the fact that they paired up the best personality type with the best super-hero, (Thor isnt really a super hero), but the thing that interested me is how well Robert Downey Jr played an ENTP. It makes me wonder if he is one in real life.

Not just the way he acted around people, borderline narcissistic, but also the body language, and ways the character reacts to situations. He was always looking around, eyes always moving in certain directions, just like an ENTP. He was always the one to engage a conversation, and always had a witty comeback. Also when he experienced a stressful situation, like a certain character in the movie dying, he kind of withdrew and went to being alone, just thinking about what happened, trying his best to deal with the emotional weight.

What got me really thinking though was at the end where he does something out of character for an ENTP. It made me think about how i would react to a situation like that, being completely selfless. But it makes sense, because i think if enough shit was thrown at me, i might do something like that. I cant tell you obviously, but it was an act of complete selflessness, and he went into it expecting to die. A more mature ENTP rose up and did what needed to be done.

Ive got two questions for you. How do you react to situations in which you need to think fast? AND, If you were given a huge responsibility and had the power and control to live up to the responsibility, how do you think it might affect you?

For some reason when im in bed, i fantasize about stupid shit that keeps me up. Something ive fantasized about before was the scenario of what i would do if i knew i was going to die haha...but usually i just think about beating the shit out of people who deserve it. Then i get all motivated and shit haha.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Of all the times catastrophic things have happened to me, I always withdrew into myself and became outwardly silent. I don't know if I used my feeling function significantly or sorted it out logically, but it was more of an internal solitude. It's like life hits you like a ton of bricks, where we usually don't take it seriously, and we are forced to take a minute and brood.

Let me ask this - in events in life that would normally make people panic, do ENTP's typically take control of the situation and try to keep everything calm and collected? I usually resort to outward calm behavior to compensate for the panic - if not me, then who? Perhaps it's a mechanism of keeping control in an otherwise chaotic situation.

Reminds me of when my dad had what was a potential heart attack, and I got woken out of my sleep by a screaming mother. Shook the hell out of me. Everyone else was panicking while I kept my wits and called for help.

Reactions: King_Moonracer

·
Registered
721 Posts
I saw the movie and in that situation I'm not sure what I would have done. I might have done the same thing. I don't know. My problem is that when I'm in crazy situations like that I get a huge adrenaline rush and do really, really stupid stuff (a good adrenaline rush. I tend to really enjoy those situations. Think Scotty in the 2009 Star Trek movie right after Spock kicked the crap out of Kirk on the bridge and everyone else is staring in shocked silence and after a second Scotty yells in a kid-who-had-too-much-sugar voice "I like this ship! It's exciting!" That's totally me). During the New England "Snowicane" a few years ago a tree fell on my house and the entire time I was on a complete adrenaline high. At one point I threw my dog down the basement stairs without even thinking how it might affect her (she was fine, btw). I think I was thinking she'd land like a cat. She didn't. But I didn't realize what I was doing until my sister yelled at me. I was just on such a high. I've never been in a physical fight, but I have a feeling that might be to my advantage in that I would be doing really crazy, ruthless stuff before I even realized I was doing it. I might even have done what Tony did in the end just out of sheer adrenaline flooding my brain. Who knows...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm always telling you guys that I focus under pressure and this situation is no different. I've almost died a LOT of times. Most of them have been circumstantial (parties, drugs, bar fights, hit by a car, muggers) but I've always managed to think fast enough to keep myself alive in those situations. A few of them have been self induced, like when I was doing stunt work (I almost missed a mat one time from a 3 story high fall, my head swiveled under a 35 MPH car tire when I hit the ground after I dumped off the hood, been shot in the face with a crossbow, stabbed with a katana), but yet again quick thinking got me out.

Those aren't quite the same as an "impending doom for the greater good" type of situation. "IDGG" situations are mind-screws.

One time in H.S. I waded into a pile of 6 jocks who were beating up some scrawny kid I'd never seen before. I saw it happening, took inventory of the situation, and then prepared to get my ass handed to me. I wasn't planning on coming out of there without at least a few broken bones. Luckily I managed to beat them all off him and had them running with only a bruised rib, a black eye, and a split lip. The scrawny kid got his arm broke before I got there though unfortunately.

A different time I defended a teacher and classmate from our schools knife-toting bully (you know .. the one who was like 20 because he'd been held back like 3 times). I ended up lodging a pencil in the cartilage of the ball and socket joint in his arm, and then held him down until the cops showed up (he was tossed in jail for that one). I'll tell you though heading into that one I was expecting to be flayed.

The thing is though, when situations like that arise I feel LOTS of pressure. There's no pressure on earth like when you FULLY expect to die/get maimed (unless someone you care about is in that situation too, and they're relying on you to get them out) ... and then you go do the thing anyway. And it makes it worse when you have a few seconds to think about it on your way into the situation. That much pressure makes me not care about anything accept the task in front of me .... like NOTHING. I'm so focused .... so sharp .... so keen under that much pressure that my sense of self preservation becomes merely an optional variable.

Lemme tell you a good story that might help with this all though, I know it helped me.
When Siddhartha Gautama was meditating and on the verge of attaining enlightenment an evil god named Mara came to him. Mara attempted to distract him from his meditations. The first distraction he used (there were three if I remember right, but I'm only going into the first one here) was to send his three daughters to seduce Siddhartha. His daughters more more beautiful than any mortal woman. When Siddhartha looked up all he could see was rotting corpses though, and thus there was no temptation.

You see he had come to the realization that everything in this world is temporal. It will all age, and die, and decompose. Everything is washed away with time. When you start to think that way temporal life loses meaning.

Now personally I value others lives a great deal for the most part, but as for me .... I enjoy living, but I'm just a grain of sand as far as I'm concerned. I've actually turned his outward concept, illustrated in that story, inward. It's easier to walk into death if you're already dead in your own head. That doesn't mean that the pressures not there. Like I said, I enjoy living a LOT, but I know, and have accepted that this world will keep spinning without me. I'm just here for the ride ... wherever it takes me ... and I'ma put on a bad ass show while I last.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm always telling you guys that I focus under pressure and this situation is no different. I've almost died a LOT of times. Most of them have been circumstantial (parties, drugs, bar fights, hit by a car, muggers) but I've always managed to think fast enough to keep myself alive in those situations. A few of them have been self induced, like when I was doing stunt work (I almost missed a mat one time from a 3 story high fall, my head swiveled under a 35 MPH car tire when I hit the ground after I dumped off the hood, been shot in the face with a crossbow, stabbed with a katana), but yet again quick thinking got me out.

Those aren't quite the same as an "impending doom for the greater good" type of situation. "IDGG" situations are mind-screws.

One time in H.S. I waded into a pile of 6 jocks who were beating up some scrawny kid I'd never seen before. I saw it happening, took inventory of the situation, and then prepared to get my ass handed to me. I wasn't planning on coming out of there without at least a few broken bones. Luckily I managed to beat them all off him and had them running with only a bruised rib, a black eye, and a split lip. The scrawny kid got his arm broke before I got there though unfortunately.

A different time I defended a teacher and classmate from our schools knife-toting bully (you know .. the one who was like 20 because he'd been held back like 3 times). I ended up lodging a pencil in the cartilage of the ball and socket joint in his arm, and then held him down until the cops showed up (he was tossed in jail for that one). I'll tell you though heading into that one I was expecting to be flayed.

The thing is though, when situations like that arise I feel LOTS of pressure. There's no pressure on earth like when you FULLY expect to die/get maimed (unless someone you care about is in that situation too, and they're relying on you to get them out) ... and then you go do the thing anyway. And it makes it worse when you have a few seconds to think about it on your way into the situation. That much pressure makes me not care about anything accept the task in front of me .... like NOTHING. I'm so focused .... so sharp .... so keen under that much pressure that my sense of self preservation becomes merely an optional variable.

Lemme tell you a good story that might help with this all though, I know it helped me.
When Siddhartha Gautama was meditating and on the verge of attaining enlightenment an evil god named Mara came to him. Mara attempted to distract him from his meditations. The first distraction he used (there were three if I remember right, but I'm only going into the first one here) was to send his three daughters to seduce Siddhartha. His daughters more more beautiful than any mortal woman. When Siddhartha looked up all he could see was rotting corpses though, and thus there was no temptation.

You see he had come to the realization that everything in this world is temporal. It will all age, and die, and decompose. Everything is washed away with time. When you start to think that way temporal life loses meaning.

Now personally I value others lives a great deal for the most part, but as for me .... I enjoy living, but I'm just a grain of sand as far as I'm concerned. I've actually turned his outward concept, illustrated in that story, inward. It's easier to walk into death if you're already dead in your own head. That doesn't mean that the pressures not there. Like I said, I enjoy living a LOT, but I know, and have accepted that this world will keep spinning without me. I'm just here for the ride ... wherever it takes me ... and I'ma put on a bad ass show while I last.
Fuck dude, I wish that stuff happened at my school. There were no knife-toting bullies at all in my class. A few white trash 20 year olds, but nothing too violent. I think i only ever saw like one fight, and it wasn't even a real fight. And i was never around when the cool shit went down. One of my friends got into a fight during gym class and beat the shit out of some bitch ass mother-fucker with a badminton racket. Another time the one kid that everyone hated, hated because he screwed with me in elementary school, attacked some well liked kid in a gym class. And i wasnt there to help the kid out!...oi probably would have killed this kid, so its a good thing i guess.

But that is some really inspiring shit you said, and its dead on. Now that i think about it, ive never been any crazy situations at all. The closest ive come was probably in sports. Like you in these crazy situations, i was always calm and cool during a game. I could never get pumped up before a basketball game for some reason. The few times i did i scored like 100000 points.

I can definitely relate to putting the situation before your body, especially due to these sports. I always played the "big ass mother fucker" positions haha. In soccer, i was the goal keeper. While my fairy teammates were out in the field taking arrows in the knee, i was in the goal, taking knees to the face. Basketball i was the big guy underneath, and i had to keep my kooool. When your pushing other big retarded guys around, they get pissed at you, and talk a lot of shit. Once in a while, they will throw a BO or two. After that, i would get pumped up, and become a rapist. And during baseball i was the catcher of course. I always wanted people to plow into me, but they never did.

The point is, that when shit hit the fan, i would put my body on the line to "save the day". Diving for a ball, knowing you are going to hit the hard, dry ground, sucks, but i always did it and i think i must have felt what you felt when you say you didn't really care about what happened to you in the heat of the moment. Its a very cool feeling actually, i want to experience it more haha. That was the addicting part about being a soccer goalie. Bittersweet experience. But i know that if i saved that fuckin ball, when im laying on the ground waiting for the pain to hit, I will hear the crowd go crazy with people screaming my name....Delicious....thats probably whats missing in my life, DELICIOUS experiences.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw the movie and in that situation I'm not sure what I would have done. I might have done the same thing. I don't know. My problem is that when I'm in crazy situations like that I get a huge adrenaline rush and do really, really stupid stuff (a good adrenaline rush. I tend to really enjoy those situations. Think Scotty in the 2009 Star Trek movie right after Spock kicked the crap out of Kirk on the bridge and everyone else is staring in shocked silence and after a second Scotty yells in a kid-who-had-too-much-sugar voice "I like this ship! It's exciting!" That's totally me). During the New England "Snowicane" a few years ago a tree fell on my house and the entire time I was on a complete adrenaline high. At one point I threw my dog down the basement stairs without even thinking how it might affect her (she was fine, btw). I think I was thinking she'd land like a cat. She didn't. But I didn't realize what I was doing until my sister yelled at me. I was just on such a high. I've never been in a physical fight, but I have a feeling that might be to my advantage in that I would be doing really crazy, ruthless stuff before I even realized I was doing it. I might even have done what Tony did in the end just out of sheer adrenaline flooding my brain. Who knows...
<br> Interesting. I remember that frosty time of despair, being in NY where it hit pretty hard. I was scared a tree would fall on my house! Thats crazy. <br><br>I saw it as exciting haha. I bought this little wireless radio, and a bunch of shit one might take with them on a camping trip haha...I think i was 12, but i dont remember. <br>

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
@King_Moonracer , you're right to a certain extent about a similarity of sensation, but there is no way to really bring across the intensity I'm talking about just by telling you ... and there is no way for you to REALLY understand it without having been there. I mean, even with as much as I'd been through it''d be like some front line infantryman trying to explain the heat of a firefight to me. I'm just not going to understand it in a true sense until I've lived it.

From what I gather though, what I think happens is that people draw a subconscious line (it's in a different spot for everyone). On one side of that line lies all that they are willing to lose, and on the other side are the things that they aren't willing to lose. So here's where my hypothesis comes in.

I think that when a quick evaluation shows that the possible loss will be on the permissible side of the line, that some of us will be able to focus past any discomfort or loss to reach an end result. It's the other side of the line that's the problem. I think that when a risk analysis show you may lose something from the side of the line that's full of things that you will NOT allow yourself to lose that that's where a persons reactions become completely out of their control. For most people LIVING, itself, is on that side of the line. It's hard to know how you will react when faced with possible death ... until you've been faced with possible death. And I'd venture to say that it's even harder to know how you'd react when making a conscious choice that will likely induce your death ... until you've been faced with a conscious choice that will likely induce your death.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I guess when faced with that stuff it's Ti all the way.

Stark did what he did because it was a really neat and logical solution to the problem. He did intend to come back, but not coming back was a calculated collateral risk which did not detract from that fact that he had in his hands the logical best solution to the problem.

Also, he had been taunted for lack of self-sacrifice earlier in the movie and therefore had a point to prove. Winning is important....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also, he had been taunted for lack of self-sacrifice earlier in the movie and therefore had a point to prove. Winning is important....
This was the first thought in my head at the beginning of the sacrificial sequence.

I was waiting for him to toss a sarcastic remark at Rogers the whole time, but I don't recall hearing one. :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not just the way he acted around people, borderline narcissistic, but also the body language, and ways the character reacts to situations. He was always looking around, eyes always moving in certain directions, just like an ENTP. He was always the one to engage a conversation, and always had a witty comeback. Also when he experienced a stressful situation, like a certain character in the movie dying, he kind of withdrew and went to being alone, just thinking about what happened, trying his best to deal with the emotional weight.

What got me really thinking though was at the end where he does something out of character for an ENTP. It made me think about how i would react to a situation like that, being completely selfless. But it makes sense, because i think if enough shit was thrown at me, i might do something like that. I cant tell you obviously, but it was an act of complete selflessness, and he went into it expecting to die. A more mature ENTP rose up and did what needed to be done.

Ive got two questions for you. How do you react to situations in which you need to think fast? AND, If you were given a huge responsibility and had the power and control to live up to the responsibility, how do you think it might affect you?
I love the Ironman series and I agree that Tony Stark does an uber narcisstic version of a male ENTP to a T. I love it!!!:kitteh: I think there is a high chance he is ENTP in RL, but who knows. He is mistaken as callous, self-serving, among other things. He's loud, random, has a quick wit, loves his gadgets, has a lot of random friends, ticks normal people off, uses shock comedy, but is still the introvert, on the inside. In quick thinking situations, I do think quick, fast mental calculations, checking all possible outcomes and make a decision. Whether in a legal argument, arguing with a newspaper, or at a grocery store check out I'm the same. I'm about the principle, and Stark is too. He doesn't surf the rule tide. I will reveal starkly, (lol) faulty reasoning. If I had a huge responsibility put upon me, and had to sacrifice myself for a higher cause, I would. I wouldn't be passive, but very deliberate and accepting. Then again, I wouldn't be running all over the place, because I want to go out with a bang and be a martyr. :cool: I kind of like living, crazy I know.

In saying all this, I haven't had any time to see this awesome movie, because I have an INFJ on my tail, and I can't shake him. SOS!!!!!! I tried to hide, as long as I could, but the guy was ruthless.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the Ironman series and I agree that Tony Stark does an uber narcisstic version of a male ENTP to a T. I love it!!!:kitteh: I think there is a high chance he is ENTP in RL, but who knows. He is mistaken as callous, self-serving, among other things. He's loud, random, has a quick wit, loves his gadgets, has a lot of random friends, ticks normal people off, uses shock comedy, but is still the introvert, on the inside. In quick thinking situations, I do think quick, fast mental calculations, checking all possible outcomes and make a decision. Whether in a legal argument, arguing with a newspaper, or at a grocery store check out I'm the same. I'm about the principle, and Stark is too. He doesn't surf the rule tide. I will reveal starkly, (lol) faulty reasoning. If I had a huge responsibility put upon me, and had to sacrifice myself for a higher cause, I would. I wouldn't be passive, but very deliberate and accepting. Then again, I wouldn't be running all over the place, because I want to go out with a bang and be a martyr. :cool: I kind of like living, crazy I know.

In saying all this, I haven't had any time to see this awesome movie, because I have an INFJ on my tail, and I can't shake him. SOS!!!!!! I tried to hide, as long as I could, but the guy was ruthless.
Maybe you should look into the taliban. Go out with a bang, AND solve your INFJ problem!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I see male ENTP's really live the super hero lifestyle. I'm a chick, and last time I checked I wasn't a female super hero, but hey, I could always play dress up. My INFJ crush, has this feeling he is a super hero and my personal guardian all wrapped up in one. I'm thinking of getting him a cape, a mask, and a box of chocolates, because he is secretly a dessert imbiber. Some highly reflective sunglasses might be what he needs too, to conceal his long range vision and help him play a better round of poker.
My gift ideas are always personal.

P.S.
I'll tell you though heading into that one I was expecting to be flayed.
Does this part mean you were expecting to be filleted? or flayed? I mean they both kind of apply....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
P.S. Does this part mean you were expecting to be filleted? or flayed? I mean they both kind of apply....
I actually meant flayed ... but you're right both could apply.

Reactions: ENTPfemme
1 - 13 of 13 Posts