Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here actually LIKE those with authority (as in, has a positive feeling beyond indifference)? Do you believe that it's better when there's someone above you, who has things under control? If so, why?

See, it's been my experience that nobody I have ever spoken to (except for people who are very young, old, or conservative) actually likes having someone over them, holding the reins on their behaviour. I myself am one of those people. However, I am curious as to the perspective from the other side of the coin; surely, there must be people who accept the authority of others on more than simple utility. Are there any of you among us who personally enjoy the concept of authority?

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
In some areas I believe that authority is necessary, and in most areas it can be a good thing, but then the human factor enters into the process and fucks it up. I guess I'm in-between.

For example, a college teacher. A college teacher doesn't have as much authority as a babysi*cough* high school teacher, sorry, and for good obvious reasons. But the teacher has to retain some authority to both guide the students and to maintain order. Then again, there are some Nazi teachers that believe they control everything in the classroom (or should) and I make sure to give them a hard time about it.

Same thing with people like police officers, but they are only human themselves even if they should be held to a higher standard.

Politicians shouldn't hold much authority, I havn't heard of a good one in my lifetime and I'm too cynical about it to really take the time to look into it, sorry but I have better things to do.

Then there's the job market. Employers and managers of smaller teams should have some authority but there are so many out there that just take it too far, there are even some that don't take it far enough. I heard today in class that a lot of employers hiring employees already have the people in mind that they want to hire and have interviewed them weeks in advance of the "real" interviews, that is a blatant abuse of power, not very shocking, but still...

Such a slippery slope, authority.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Authority structures should be designed and used to support the purpose of the organisation.
It is important to discriminate whether you dislike the authority structure or the what the authorities use it for.

Authority structures are a great idea designed to remove the weaknesses and burdens that come with individual decision making.

·
Banned
788 Posts
The only place I can palate any kind of authority is at work; that's purely because I find it hilarious that someone could take a convenience store and convenient accessories any kind of seriously. They caught me doing dinosaur poses to the customers..I'll post a picture of the camera evidence my boss uploaded later.
Ridiculous. Life's too short.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
The only time I like authority figures, is when they let me get away with shit and keep my autonomy while bossing others around. I think that most people say they don't like someone else having power over the, but I call bullshit on that one. Most people, I think, wouldn't know what to do, how to act, what to think etc if there wasn't some source feeding them. Most people are also very risk averse, so they will stand behind the person in charge (who is also the person who takes most or all the risk) because it doesn't fall back on them. They don't feel the pressure, and can place the blame on something or someone else when they fuck up. Like how people blame the media, or culture for X,Y and Z, thus making the person less responsible for it.

I like authority because it keeps other people in line. Otherwise, my life would become more hectic. When there isn't a set "authority" in a setting and Im there, people start leeching to me to decide on shit. I only want to decide for myself. Im forced to take the reigns for the group. I hate being nominated to the "authority" role.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I like this thread, and look forward to hearing other arguments for authority.

I think that most people say they don't like someone else having power over the, but I call bullshit on that one. Most people, I think, wouldn't know what to do, how to act, what to think
I wish aliens would abduct me.

Reactions: Chipps

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I like this thread, and look forward to hearing other arguments for authority.

I wish aliens would abduct me.
Why? Stick around. It'll be more fun that way. We get to watch as our race crashes and burns. Though, maybe alien abduction would be more entertaining...I wonder.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think authority is fine as long as I am the one with all the authority.

Otherwise, I pick apart everything the existing authority does and make it well known that I'm soon to be their replacement.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Disliking authority may come partly from the fact that they are also human beings themselves, as are we. The fact that another human being is controlling us would imply a lack of control for ourselves. Going against authority seems to be done more for personal reasons from past encounters, and it doesn't seem too problematic if those in authority don't imply being more superior as people but rather done for order and simplicity purposes.

Actually enjoying being controlled may imply not having control over ourselves, or ensuring security. This is something I've been thinking about recently, but more in terms of romantic relationships.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe authority should only be given to those who are both benevolent and wise. Without those two characteristics, I don't think a person is worthy of authority. If an unworthy person wields authority, then, as far I'm concerned, their authority is only valid until their back is turned.

If someone is worthy of authority, I will respect them, though. I don't have an issue with authority itself, just authority being placed in the wrong hands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Authority is perfectly valid, when the system in place for becoming authority works properly. Rewarding the competent with a higher level of responsibility and command seems the be the natural method in which the hard-working prosper. It's when those without proper merit become authority that problems arise. I do not respect ill-placed authority and am difficult to give a direct task to, if I think it's not a worthy pursuit or I know the difference it will make in the overall quality of the establishment is non-existent.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't feel strongly either way. I tend to dislike it.

It is somewhat necessary if we are to have an "advanced" society. However, necessity does not equal acceptance, or in this case, enjoying it's existence.

This is a question with complex answers, and I'm not up to dedicating the time at this moment. I do look forward to reading further responses though.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
At this point in my career, I have some sympathy for authority. it's actually hard to do well, and much like with most people,if I think they give a shit, I tend to give them latitude (a fair share of grief, because I'm a mischievous imp, but latitude, ne'er the less.)

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I actually do like authority in some situations.

I like following a system.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe in volatile authority, meaning that in certain situations certain people should step up and lead, but the title or authoritative role will be removed when no longer needed or the person turns incapable during the process.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I don't mind authority at all .... as long as they stay the hell outta my business and let me do whatever the hell I want.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Authority is required. Majority of people absolutely require leadership or some form of direction.

Most people can't even decide on where they want to eat for dinner.

Reactions: Saira
1 - 20 of 27 Posts