Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take my advice: never take nobody's advice. Because people like to give advice, which if you take their advice, will ensure that you end up just like they did.

A paradox, I know. Though it doesn't look very helpful it probably is. Just decide things on your own. Awk, I did it again!

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
Take my advice: never take nobody's advice. Because people like to give advice, which if you take their advice, will ensure that you end up just like they did.

A paradox, I know. Though it doesn't look very helpful it probably is. Just decide things on your own. Awk, I did it again!
No, thank you. I do not want to end up like you ... i.e. someone who does not accept the advise of others :tongue:

^^Admit it, that was the reply you were looking for lol

Anyway, I will post a few rhetorical questions to make a point.

1) What if you want to end up like the person giving advise?
2) What is the advise is to not do what they did?
3) What if the advise comes from the experience and/or knowledge of another person/people?

The thing is, we only live for so long and have a limited amount of experience, but we can learn from the experiences of others, which can make us wise beyond our years (because our wisdom sits on the shoulders of others, just like how Isaac Newton's brilliance rested on "the shoulders of giants"). One way we learn from others (their experience and their mental labor) is through advice, just like how you paradoxically have done here. You shared your insight.
This does not mean that we must follow that advice of others and not all advice is good advice, but it is advisable to take advice under consideration because it takes in lived experiences and points of view that you may not have experienced or thought of. Think of advice like a guide. You don't have to follow it, you can deviate as much as you want from it (which you may want to if it does not apply that much, or the advice was made with different goals/values), but usually it will help you find a path you are looking for (especially if the source of that advice is knowledgeable in the area).

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
download.jpg
Never read it, but I like the title(s)!

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts

Unless you're name is "nobody"; I'm not taking your advice. XD

Reactions: Mr. Meepers

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, thank you. I do not want to end up like you ... i.e. someone who does not accept the advise of others :tongue:

^^Admit it, that was the reply you were looking for lol

Anyway, I will post a few rhetorical questions to make a point.

3) What if the advise comes from the experience and/or knowledge of another person/people?

The thing is, we only live for so long and have a limited amount of experience, but we can learn from the experiences of others, which can make us wise beyond our years (because our wisdom sits on the shoulders of others, just like how Isaac Newton's brilliance rested on "the shoulders of giants"). One way we learn from others (their experience and their mental labor) is through advice, just like how you paradoxically have done here. You shared your insight.
This does not mean that we must follow that advice of others and not all advice is good advice, but it is advisable to take advice under consideration because it takes in lived experiences and points of view that you may not have experienced or thought of. Think of advice like a guide. You don't have to follow it, you can deviate as much as you want from it (which you may want to if it does not apply that much, or the advice was made with different goals/values), but usually it will help you find a path you are looking for (especially if the source of that advice is knowledgeable in the area).
I really didn't expect any replies this smart. Still... I must advice you to take my advice more seriously, if you know what I mean(and even if you don't, take it anyways).

Most people that give advice don't give great advice. They don't do it for you but for themselves - they want to let their opinion out and to have their way.

My answer is: don't ever take their advice, typically...

I feel like I've made a maxim or something.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
In my opinion those who dish it the most have the hardest time taking back what they dish out.

Advice I mean.

Also can be the most inclined to need to look in the mirror. It is a form often of projecting and avoiding looking in the mirror. It is easier to call out what needs done in someone elses yard then to clean up your own back yard.

Destinguishing the differences between soliciting vs sought out helps a hell of alot.
Exceptions is maybe if someone is truly in a danger where intervention is necessary.

But in most cases it has to do with not having boundaries. And people just trying to destract themselves from their own bullshit.

That said I think it is wise to consider the relevance and possible wisdom in another persons experiences based on the subject at hand and decipher what you can use and just set anything else aside. It is about using it constructive. Take what you can learn and grow from and toss the rest. There usually is no loss in considering something if it is reasonable.

But yeah anyone on a sermon when it is out of their jurisdiction in territory, experience, etc could learn a thing or two about letting others have self preservation and dignity and not stepping on other peoples toes. One does need to consider if their advice helps the other more or is it to feed their own purpose or esteem and if it is necessary or wanted.

Be able to set aside your pride to hear what others may have to offer and an ability to consider. But be strong enough to set boundaries on what you allow others to peddle.

Advice is cheap, Encouragement is Priceless
Be careful whose advice you buy, but patient with those who supply it!
1608.jpg

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
Lol I thought we were talking about solicited advice since this is the advice forum where the vast majority of the threads in this forum are looking for advice XD

But if we are talking about unsolicited advice, that is different. I try to keep unsolicited advice only for people who seem like they are in a dark place and need some advice and encouragement (I try to add encouragement in there as well). Otherwise, I go bye the idea that it is there life, they know better about what they want and everyone needs to make their own mistakes.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rhetorically speaking, is there really any difference(solicited and unsolicited advice)? All advice is opinion, unless maybe somebody manages to strike gold and speak the truth.

People dislike truth much more than opinion/unsolicited advice. They are afraid of it. Opinions they can take because they don't really care what others think anyways and it gives them a chance to talk back.

-I just wanted to be funny. Rather than ask for or supply concerned people with advice I'd do it differently and take it all away. I saw the irony in it and acted immediately.

The suggestion still stands. You're better off deciding on your own otherwise you'll be living the lives of other people and what kind of life would that be? A mirage. Poetically - a mirage of dreams.

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
Rhetorically speaking, is there really any difference(solicited and unsolicited advice)? All advice is opinion, unless maybe somebody manages to strike gold and speak the truth.
I know you are speaking rhetorically, but there are others who will read this thread with the same question.

1) There is usually a difference of respect. When someone tries to push advice on someone else, they are usually actively trying to decide for them and not respecting someone else's ability to make up their own mind.
2) A point made from a previous poster in this thread: Many times unsolicited advice comes from a place of judgement of the other person, while solicited advice, ime, usually comes from a judgement of the situation.

Basically there can be different motives/agendas behind each type and one type involves butting in to someone's life/crossing a boundary while the other involves a party opening up their boundaries to let someone in to give advice.

People dislike truth much more than opinion/unsolicited advice. They are afraid of it. Opinions they can take because they don't really care what others think anyways and it gives them a chance to talk back.
Probably depends on the person and the situation, but it sounds like you are talking about judgement of a person more that advice or "advice". It can be like "constructive" criticism (another thread in this subsection on the front page). Not all "constructive" criticism is constructive or helpful (some are if done properly and some are not when done improperly). Advice can be the same way. When you are judging the person and not the situation, it can be more of an attack. However, if one is looking at the situation with as little judgement as possible for the one receiving the advice, it may be more constructive as it can look at solutions and the needs of the individual and not just the (fair or unfair) expectations placed on said individual.

As far as truth, it only stings when we don't want to hear it lol and opinions can hurt less. That said, when it is the opinion of someone we care about and admire, their thoughts of us can sting a lot too lol.

I just wanted to be funny. Rather than ask for or supply concerned people with advice I'd do it differently and take it all away. I saw the irony in it and acted immediately.
I know you were trying to be funny, however, since you questioned the value of this sub-forum (will that have an impact? Who knows lol Does anyone care? Who knows lol), I thought it was fair to question your questioning :tongue:

For what it is worth, I do find this conversation interesting and I do feel like I am learning as I try to understand your point of view.

The suggestion still stands. You're better off deciding on your own otherwise you'll be living the lives of other people and what kind of life would that be? A mirage. Poetically - a mirage of dreams.
Let me look at it from another point of view:
A president of a country makes decisions. Would you trust that president or their decisions if they did not talk to and have a conversation with their expert advisers?

If a student is struggling to understand a topic, shouldn't they ask for help?

The think is, we are not going to see issues from all possible sides all the time on our own and we are not always going to know what to do or where to start. There is nothing wrong with that. It is called learning. When we seek out advice, we are learning. However, we still have to make the decision for ourselves and own that decision (we can not just blindly follow advice, just take it into consideration because we are ultimately responsible for our actions/decisions). No one, to my knowledge, is stating to not make your own decision.

As far as your statement about living the lives of other people, while I do think there is some truth to that (if you are blindly following someone else), there is also some falsehood. The falsehood is that it does not take into account how everyone's situations are always a little different and one person's experience does not always translate well to another person's situation (which is why advice should be a consideration and learned from, not just blindly obeyed). I would say there is semi-truth to your statement if someone blindly follows advice.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this discussion is important. To be specific, the discussion of "What role should advice play in one's life?" I think we touched on the topic of "When should someone give advice?" a little bit and that topic is important as well.

·
Code Cracked
12,584 Posts

Most people do not take their own advice. I despise the ones that get offended by you not doing what they say/suggest. This is how it works for me....input said advice, see how it may pertain to my situation, decide what is best for the situation and me. Do what I think is best at the end...advice or not.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most people do not take their own advice. I despise the ones that get offended by you not doing what they say/suggest. This is how it works for me....input said advice, see how it may pertain to my situation, decide what is best for the situation and me. Do what I think is best at the end...advice or not.
and by thinking for yourself you manage to avoid the dangers of the advice of other people.

Reactions: ENIGMA2019

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

not even if they repeatedly give you the same piece of advice about 20 times and are very persuasive about it? :p

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not even if they repeatedly give you the same piece of advice about 20 times and are very persuasive about it? :p

Is that a mean girl? She looks pretty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts