Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd actually read that one before. It certainly does make us look cool. It is very in-depth and I enjoyed it because of that.

Reactions: marckos and Rift

·
Registered
362 Posts
Omg yes. This article is the most amazing thing. For a while I was skeptical of being an INTP, but after reading this entire thing I now concluded that I am in fact an INTP XD. Everything was just so spot on and just like me. Before, I thought I was just a quiet Exxx or something.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I found this article some months ago... Loved it to death, and have since been annoyed to death because I cannot find anything of similar depth for any of the other types.
Anybody got links to something like this for other types?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh yes, this article. I remember reading it a while ago. I was especially surprised when he talked about an INTP and music, because that was so fitting and I had never seen it elsewhere. Thanks for sharing. :) This is still the best INTP article that I know of.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
204 Posts
I found this article some months ago... Loved it to death, and have since been annoyed to death because I cannot find anything of similar depth for any of the other types.
Anybody got links to something like this for other types?
My thoughts exactly. This article had me pretty convinced for a long while that INTP is the best fit for me (every sentence feels like 95% true or more), but it would still be nice to read other type descriptions that are this spot-on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Maybe, though a desire for a comprehensive overview isn't necessarily INTP-specific. What I love about this profile is that it focuses more on how the functions interact with each other, as well as how Si and Fe manifest themselves when they're in a lower position. It'd be cool to see something similar for things like tertiary Ti. Though I'm sure the "form of the inferior" articles can help with coming up with new ideas.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
My thoughts exactly. This article had me pretty convinced for a long while that INTP is the best fit for me (every sentence feels like 95% true or more), but it would still be nice to read other type descriptions that are this spot-on.
At first I thought I disagreed with the part about hoarding, but on second thought I guess I do hoard, just not physical objects. I hoard memories of things I associate with a given era of my life, and replaying the memory can bring back all of the physical sensations and moods pretty easily.

The Si stuff is accurate, except that my Si is much more attached to urban environments. I don't think Si is necessarily pastorally inclined.

I also tend to care somewhat about my physical surroundings -- just enough to buy quality items (within my budget, of course), and to, for example, carefully choose paint colors, but not enough to hang pictures up on my walls (they're bare).

The music part is uncannily accurate. I love Shostakovich and 20th century classical, and have since I was a kid. All of the stuff other people think of as unlistenable because it's too abstract.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, the specifics have some room for variation, but overall the way he conveys the strength / attitude of tertiary Si really speaks to me.

I go through phases where I can sometimes be very nostalgic (replaying memories for their own sake; maybe revisiting things I liked as a kid) and at other times I just don't feel any sort of sentimentality for anything. It's also very rare for physical objects to have any sentimental effect on me, even when I am being nostalgic, and normally when I replay memories it's to get a new interpretation or refine an existing one, I think. I do hoard a lot of things, though, but it seems to be mostly because I know I could get something out of them ... some day.

I'm also more attracted to urban ambience (partly because of early childhood nostalgia; which is funny because I had no sense of "atmosphere" or "ambience" until I was in my teens, so this is me projecting something that wasn't even there onto my past). A very powerful rural scene can speak to me, but it really takes a lot to get me to "ooh" and "ah" in most environments. Even within urban environments, my S friends tend to call me out on how much I'm missing.

And then I really, really strongly relate to pretty much everything he says about household objects becoming "invisible" after a couple days.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This guide is what got me interested in this site.

Just a few observations:
"This is the real reason why INTPs are drawn to complexity: anything simple is too quickly understood and cannot hold the fascination for long. Similarly, proficiency in any area (which requires continual practice after understanding) is not such a driving force as it might be for NTJs, for example. While a judging NT will often seek to become master of his field, an INTP is satisfied by analysing it alone."

That proficiency thing is the story of my career. I have taken 6 different insurance courses but haven't gotten an AU or CPCU designation because that would require a great deal of specializing and extra work. The times I have actually gone for designations, there has been a chapter or a roadblock or two that just doesn't make sense or I don't get so I'll dismiss it as irrelevant and just study things more in depth that I understand.
I would rather be well rounded and know which resources or manuals to use, and trust my intuition than to put in all that extra time and then not retain a thing.

"Humour is another aspect which marks out the INTP. He can readily dream up jokes about almost any situation. Taking things out of context is the chief source of humour and many an INTP is a Monty Pythonite. The Ne is the engine and source of this joke-generator. Needless to say, the humour of an INTP can be pretty zany and warped and may not be understood easily by others. The problem is that the Ne concepts for jokes are put into a structure only by the Ti. Hence, the humour can become black and tactless, having felt little Feeling input. Funnily enough, INTPs are dreadful tellers of jokes (which seems to be more the domain of those with Se), perhaps because they pay too little attention to detail when speaking spontaneously. If you see someone smirking and laughing at some private thought, without any obvious reason, he's probably an INTP. INTPs may however make good comedy writers, with the humour of Woody Allen being particularly liked."

Yes 100%. Although I add or subtract tact around different audiences . And I can literally be laughing hysterically about a joke or an experience while telling it, but I'll leave something out, have to backtrack and completely lose everyone. That's why I prefer writing jokes so it's easier to make adjustments.

"INTPs often love keeping lists and databases in areas of interest, especially when the lists are associated with things of the past."
I probably have about 20 or 30 random databases of unfinished "busy" projects for rainy days.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
How can people type Einstein as an INTP on the one hand, and then try to claim INTPs don't care about "proficiency" in anything? Erm, he was not only proficient, he blew his own discipline wide open.

Not all INTPs are Einstein, but plenty of them are physicists. And you don't become a physicist without mastering anything.

INTPs tend to be dabblers and dilettantes, but that doesn't mean they can't master anything. That's one of those excuses people use who are lazy.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
INTPs tend to be dabblers and dilettantes, but that doesn't mean they can't master anything. That's one of those excuses people use who are lazy.
I think getting over the hump from "proficient" to master is tough for me personally.
And laziness is one of my vices. Examples of things I have dabbled in but never tried to master.

Broadcasting - Did college hockey games because I loved hockey and had a good voice and good eye for analysis. Didn't attempt to master it because it would have involved traveling, getting to know the players personally, researching other teams and keeping up with the league as a whole. In other words - the idea of having to schmooze with ESTPs outweighed the pleasure in my mind.
Karate: Got to brown belt and quit. I did not want to start hurting people or to get hurt. I basically just wanted to know how to defend myself and had achieved proficiency. Mastery would be cool but expensive so it's off my list.
Insurance: Got three of four courses needed for an AU designation. Took the 4th course and failed it miserably because I could not get through some of the extremely dry material and was too stubborn or prideful to ask for help. This is something that I will have to force myself to master or I'll be a career rater/renewal underwriter, and that's probably motivation enough.
Journalism: Similar to broadcasting. I could write and find stories, but the people aspect of interviewing and meeting deadlines did not appeal to me. I worked on and off for 2 papers in college, but lost interest. And then of course newspapers died.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts