Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of us wonder what the perfect job for ENFPs. The truth is probably that there is no one such job. But maybe we can put together a list of things we've done in our past that we genuinely enjoyed doing and want to recommend to others.

Myself, I would highly recommend trying out as an international aid worker. I know that they still need tons of help down in Haiti and anybody with the necessary skills are being sought out. I've worked in Africa before (even if it was only for 2 months) and it was just really interesting. A lot of the other interns I went with couldn't hack it, but I found myself oddly enraptured by the new surroundings.

I would NOT recommend military.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would love to read about the experience of other ENFPs with their jobs. Right now, I have no idea what I want to do, only that I want to do something that I'll enjoy. I'm pretty sure that's typical around here. :laughing:

I can't be of much help in this thread, though. Haven't really enjoyed any of the things I've done, except the social aspects of them. I recommend volunteering to my fellow ENFPs, though.

Also, I totally agree about the military. I haven't been in it, but I can already tell it would be a horrible fit. :crazy:

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to read about the experience of other ENFPs with their jobs. Right now, I have no idea what I want to do, only that I want to do something that I'll enjoy. I'm pretty sure that's typical around here. :laughing:

I can't be of much help in this thread, though. Haven't really enjoyed any of the things I've done, except the social aspects of them. I recommend volunteering to my fellow ENFPs, though.

Also, I totally agree about the military. I haven't been in it, but I can already tell it would be a horrible fit. :crazy:
well that's what this thread is here for. too often ENFPs go into things imaging everything to be perfectly amazing, only to have reality slap us really hard in the face. this thread is where you post jobs where even AFTER you get slapped in the face by reality, you STILL liked the job and would recommend it to other ENFPs.

but make sure you don't write about anything you have no idea about. Only post those jobs you've done and experienced yourself. Let's try to keep our opinions of what certain jobs "sound like" to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I suppose I can't say this about all retail jobs, but the one I currently have (while going to school) is amazing.

First- you need to find one with managers that get ENFPs. I've worked in four retail stores, and this one is the only one that I've liked.

Second- The bigger the environment, the better.

I work at Macy's department store, and it's just lots of fun. You get to work with people more than focusing on silly little odd jobs, and ENFPs are fairly good sales people. If you know how to get the lingo right, pushing charity donations, credit applications, or anything else can be absolute cake. You also get amazing things for doing this, Macy's money (money you can use around the store, can contribute to half your purchase), real money, and prizes (handbags, makeup kits, tickets to fashion shows).

So if you can find a real PEOPLE focused retail job, it's great.

I've also had a lot of success at cashiering, though it does get really boring after a while.

Keep in mind these jobs are more student-driven, in my opinion. ENFPs can accomplish far greater!

I'll let you know about the psychology thing once I land a job there ;).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've worked at a library in the kids department and it was so much fun! Sorting the books in the back wasn't really my thing, but since I worked alone, I could read some of the kids books and the covers of the more teen age books! YAY! and then putting the books on the shelves; so calming! helping little kids find books about dinos or horses or princesses or whatever they liked; best thing ever! and helping parents finding good books was also awesome!
Maybe I liked it so much because I used to read so much and now so many books, just thinking back to what I liked and recommending it! weee !

The library was very very big too, so just walking and getting lost with all the interesting books! best thing ever!

I can only recommend it, but I don't think that working at the library as the one who puts the books on the shelves is a job you can have forever. It's definitely a student job! :) but a great student job!:proud:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have worked a number of jobs, but can honestly say that working in the ""book"" field fills many of my needs.
I have worked in bookstores and in libaries... I love reading and keeping up with current fiction (shhh don't tell anyone, but I have fallen behind lol)...
Being able to talk to customers is a bonus... and now I am working in a Job discovery centre where i help clients to compose and polish resumes and cover letters. It is gratifying to help someone get started on this journey with the right tools. xoxo

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hate the food restaurant industry.

I would agree that keeping about people is a key. I have had jobs where I was the only person in my peer group. I managed an art collection for a collector/ hotel, the job was awesome and I got along well with my boss, but it was kind of lonely. I was the only person who was employed by the collection, every one else was in other dept. so i was often left on my own.

Ideally I would like to be a in a community of people.

I like film and tv production a lot but it is hard to find gigs in it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I hate the food restaurant industry.
Worked at a food place for a few months temporarily this summer. The manager was nice, easy to get along with, and funny.

Probably also the only manager who could tell me, without hurting my feelings, that food service was not my thing.

I totally agree :crazy:

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I believe that ENFPs are a step ahead in realizing that it's important to live by our hearts. I think ENFPs must die less of heart disease.

I think it's not about what you do. Rather, do what you love and find a way to make money off of it. It is in this way that you'll never feel like you work a day in your life! Do what you love, and the money will follow is my experience.

I earn money as a performer and I teach everything I love and I don't limit myself to one thing. I teach voice, piano, and aerobic kickboxing (I'm a fitness junkie too). My music studio is my own business so I can play with my hours and make sure I still get enough sleep even when I perform.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think I was born to teach the 7th grade. Maybe its being around kids that no one else understands....I thrive in my classroom. Most of the time...the more troubled they are, the more I feel like I can relate to them. :wink:

·
Registered
627 Posts
LIFEGUARD! Plenty of people watching and flesh on display.

Research assistant was a good one too. INTJ scientists can't even converse with each other very well let alone anyone else. ENFP makes a fine translator.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hatehatehated working as a phone monkey for a non-profit. This seemed strange to me because, well, we're supposed to like all the interaction, but then I realized that if you answer phones for a non-profit that runs programs for which people need to enroll, you become the N-P's pointperson and therefore the first target of abuse.

I hated every minute of it, and I was taken advantage of by the management. Asstastic.

What I did enjoy, though, was teaching college-level classes. Discussions were always good, and I felt great feeling like I was doing something positive for people. The only thing I hated was the commensurate paperwork. And the 4 hour round-trip commute.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Well I've been volunteering with San Francisco fire as a emergency medical personel and I love it. Even thought it's hard for me to see them in pain I do my best to make the best of the situation. The firefighter I work with say im a sense of hope an inspiration to those in time of crysis and that I would make a wonderful public safety personel someday

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Sometimes I think being a voulunteer medic is such a ENFJ thing but I love doing it I'm finishing my EMT-B school this winter so when I turn 18 right after Christmas I'm going to finish my National Registery test and work as a EMT:proud:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I work as a software product manager, which is kind of like the middle man or catalyst between the engineers that build the software and customers, sales, and marketing people. I think its the perfect job for an ENFP as you really get to relate to a whole range of personalities. At times you get to wear many hats which satisfies our passionate whims and I think the job requires a lot of empathy. The best part working in technology is that there is always a fire to put out, and I often find myself scanning the environment for something to fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The most mind-blowingly awesome for ENFP job I've ever had was on a commercial as a production assistant. I'm currently doing everything I can to get into the film industry partly as a result. It was just awesome! For a week, you get to go to some new place, work really really long hours really hard, meet and work with new people, doing something new every time! And the hard work only lasts for a week! LOVE IT! Oh, and the pay is like amazing too! I made as much money on one chevy commercial as a PA for a week as I did working half a summer two years ago as a lifeguard!

·
Registered
123 Posts
For someone who's only 25 years old, I've had a heck of a lot of jobs!

Jobs I loved:
- Working in a record store stocking DVD's and helping customers
- Developing and delivering healthy living workshops to high schools all over the state
- Volunteering in the USA visiting different schools/churches/universities and raising awareness/funds around child soldiers in Africa

Jobs I hated:
- Door-to-Door Salesman
- Working in a Cell Phone store where I was expected to meet set targets each week
- Customer Service in a Steel Shop (I know nothing about steel at all!)

I think ultimately as an ENFP, if you have a good manager who doesn't push you to hard, is a great listener and provides encouragement you could do any job. When I think back on all of my favourite jobs that's what made it for me, an awesome manager.

I'm currently in my final year of my social sciences (youthwork) degree at the moment, but pretty over the occupation so would love you guys to continue sharing what jobs you loved! :happy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I was born to teach the 7th grade. Maybe its being around kids that no one else understands....I thrive in my classroom. Most of the time...the more troubled they are, the more I feel like I can relate to them. :wink:
TRUE for this enfp as well...i've got 7th graders 2.5 hours a day...love it!! they can also relate to us too. Being an ENFP might lend itself well to sloppy desks and "so called disorganization" but we sure bring other gifts into our classroom...understanding, kindness, patience, flexibility with kids who are maybe "organizationally challenged", etc...

Teachers: Can we maybe try teach organization as a tool to help students navigate instead of an "optimum setting" that everyone NEEDS to aspire to? I still remember how inept I felt about school and even my own self when back in elementary school I had to repeatedly hear about "would you get organized?" It seemed well meaning teachers who were perfect organizers would strive to make us all that way. I am a "fail" in that dept. Sorry. I can try really hard and I can navigate my day, but it's one hell of a pile of work and it wears on me. Maybe we need to recognize that and think about it! I knew kids in school whose locker or desk looked perfect. No matter how much they worked, it was all put together, all the time. Mine looked like crap.
There are teachers in my school whose desks are so wonderfully organized, not a thing out of place. Mine looks like crap. However, I still can find every single kids work and manage to get through the day just fine--thank you very much!:tongue:

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my own experience:

Jobs i didn't like:

-Deck cadet
-Deck officer
-Security guard
-Reapier of the house

From everyone of them there were things i DID like: when i was sailling i loved to see new countries,i've been in lot's of countries like Pakistan,India,Norvey,Netherland,Australia,Indonesia,China..etc...meeting new people..
When i was working as security guard i've loved chit-chat with lot's of people ( something like "The Garden Festival" in Petrcane,Zadar).
When i was repairing the house i've loved social way of working.

But,when u put it all together that r all bad jobs for us.

Jobs i did like:

-Waiter
-Boxing

But,that job had bad things too,when u r waiter u must work a lot,u sleep less and can be stresfull.Not healthy jobs and only good when u r 20 years old but still,i really liked it!

Boxing - the bad thing is that it's no good to get punch in head and body and that there r lot's of bad guys around the Gym but boxing keeps u on edge and that's real and we ENFP's like real emotions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts