Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have discussed this with a few different people and now I am just curious to hear what peoples thoughts are. What do you believe to be the best match for an INFP? What other personality type and why... and which type do you believe an INFP should stay clear of?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I don't think it's about the personality type, but the individual. Any two healthy flexible personality types would be great together, if willing to put effort into making the relationship work.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
ENFJ. I still wouldn't select on personality, although I have the slight feeling I can distinguish now between feeling for an ENFJ and feeling for any other person...I think...

Reactions: sweethomealabama

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
My brother is ISTP and we get along fine.

yes, my dad is an ISTP and he is my biggest hero.

As for the ideal partner for the INFP, it really depends on the individuals involved. I love my INTP husband and think we are a wonderful match. But I've heard a lot of INFPs say they have had troubles with INTP relationships. So, it's really dependent on the people involved.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I think that INFP's may benefit from surrounding themselves with people of different types of personalities and strengths. I'd be cautious about adopting any policy of steering clear of any one type of personality. And like others have shared here, individuals vary so much person to person.

But if you are specific and have specific needs, there might be a certain type that might be more apt to help you with specific tasks or support. Want a shoulder to cry on? Want someone to help you make a plan? Want someone to share your poetry with? Want a mentor? Want someone to help you with interior decorating? Someone that can help you be decisive? Someone that can give you stability? All of those specific needs might point you in different directions in terms of types.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Personally I'd say ENFJs and ENFPs. I like extroverts who are able to bring me out of my shell and who can understand and/or relate to my need for intense emotional depth. I like INFJs and other INFPs as well.

My dad is an ISTJ and we're like oil and water. We've been awful to each other at times. Despite all that, somehow we have a good amount in common (though he often refuses to see it) and I have a lot of respect for who he is. Not some of the ways he handles things, because the way he's dealt with me at times has been what I'd definitely call invalidation abuse and possibly some emotional abuse... but I still admire him somehow, if that doesn't sound too messed-up. (And I'm not just talking about typical ISTJ behaviours and traits but actual abuse here, including name-calling, being told I'm not his daughter, that I have nothing to say that's of interest to him, mocking me... and that's just a small part of it.) Neither of us handles our emotions in healthy ways, I don't think. Despite being very different personality types, we can both be very angry people; I've picked up a lot of his tendencies and I can sometimes be a very cold and hurtful person. (I realise I'm not making myself sound very nice here... :\) Possibly it's some sort of defence mechanism after learning from many years of his examples. I'm not proud of it at all. I wish we could understand each other's ways of dealing with things and I wish we could make that emotional connection that I want so badly... but we just tend to bring out the absolute worst in each other and we're both stubborn beyond belief.

Alright, I'm done with the rambling family sob story here... sorry. :\

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well i've been dating a ESFJ for four years now and though we have alot of differences they have never caused a drift between us we both acknowlage and accept that we think very differently. Also we in a sense feel we complete one another.

·
Banned
20,076 Posts
ESFJ (or ENFJ though not for me)

Dispute it as much as you will, but I can see no partner any better, that is assuming the ideal circumstances and that the INFP is Si-laden (if not, ENFJ). Two INFP parents will bore the children, stay away from an X-X marriage even if it kills you.

·
Banned
972 Posts
That depends in what regard you mean the best. In my opinion the most beneficial pairing would be complementary, one with both partners being strong where another is weak. I would say ESTJ/ISTJ followed by ENTJ and INTJ would be most beneficial. That said such pairing would require considerable amount of effort and compromise, otherwise you would either end with constant fighting or one side dominating another (my bet is on TJ's ending in charge).It would be even beneficial in parenting, TJ would take role of disciplinary parent and FP would take role of more liberal parent.

INFP and ENFP would probably would be good too and least likely to conflict with each other, if their values aren't contradicting. Although, probably not the best pairing in terms of improvement and managing practical aspects of life and getting things done.

Contrary to what other people say, I don't see ENFJ as a good pairing for INFP, no functions shared therefore they would have problem to see where another is coming from and why they act in certain manner. Same with INFJ. Worst pairing in my estimation would be ESTP and ISTP, no preference for functions shared and a lot of conflict when it comes to a decision making.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I echo @NagatoUzumaki

I read somewhere online that for her, a psychologist, the best pairing is where one can be the strength of another, and vice versa. For her though the ideal pairing is INTJ/INFP, specifically men intj with women infp. She listed some of the reasons, though she said ideally NFs are good with another NFs and NTs with other NTs, but in a relationship and especially in parenting, there needs to be a balance of personalities. For example, NTs with another NTs may lose touch with feelings / emotions of other people or Js with another Js may have conflict in balancing "power" as both wants to be in control. So for her its NFP with NTJ is the best bet. The problem arises when the other one is so extroverted and the partner is so introverted. As it has something to do with one's energy, it's gonna be so exhausting and tiring. And that's why she concluded with INTJ-INFP pairing

Of course all of it were just theories. Basically we all have to exert effort if we really want our relationships to succeed, regardless of mbti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
If we're talking exclusively getting along and being lovey dovey and having an easy relationship, for me it's ISFP, or a fellow INFP. ENFP in third position in the rank of awesomeness.

However! If we're talking life-partnership, I wouldn't choose any of those to marry -speaking from irl experience. I'd go with an ENTJ with highly developed Fi, which means I'd wait until our late 30s and early 40s to get together, so they are not total militant dickheads and so I am not a total highly sensitive little squirrel (my Te gets stronger with age I've noticed).
I've heard of INFPs who are super happily married to ISTPs, but I've never met one of those creatures so I can't say.
ENTP is also a good option in my eyes, because they are highly ambitious at the work place and they're also super generous and lovey dovey and they're hilaaaarious.

And of course, at the end of the day, it all comes down to an individual. I would also look into their enneagram, not just their mbti.

Reactions: a peach

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
As long as it's a healthy person who loves you...

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I married an ENFJ. I don't know if that's technically the best match; I could see Fe-Fi clashing but it doesn't always and doesn't much between us. Of course it's more important that we love each other and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm in a 4-year relationship with another INFP, which I find very fulfilling! He comes across as a strong J sometimes but I think that this is a learned behaviour. I can be the same way. We understand each other, and we also both "understand that/what other people just don't understand", if that makes sense..? Our communication is good most of the time - we either have these great, in-depth conversations about things we both really care about, or when we're alone and snuggly we sort of just communicate through a series of grunts. :p That's the beauty of it, I think. We understand each other to the extent that usually, nothing needs to be said, but we also are both interested in having the same kinds of conversations and exploring things in pace with one another. We like the same stuff and we have a lot of trust in one another, so we try new things together that are sometimes risky - we're scuba diving and fire performing partners! I don't really agree with working with your romantic partner, but I think that if we ever started a business together, we'd have the same ideas about how it should be run, and where it should go. But, we'd need someone else to implement it. :p

The challenge sort of comes up if the other person has done something that we find morally disagreeable, because you know what INFP's are like. To his credit, he is not the passive-aggressive one! He is very mature and a natural problem solver. I've never seen him lose his head, even when I'm flippin' out. But if he's doing something that I'm frustrated about or I find problematic, it cuts him very deep when I bring it up. He hates conflict and would prefer to avoid it which is usually good, but it can be cumbersome if there's something we really need to confront, and he's clammed up about it. We're also both emotional sponges, so when one of us gets into a foul mood, it invariably drags the other person down too. And, when I'm upset, he usually defaults to a "Don't be upset" approach or tries to cheer me up rather than just comforting me while I wallow, which is sometimes what I want, but usually not what I need. :p

If you ask the books, INFP/ENFJ is the natural match. I have also dated an ENFJ and can speak to that, a bit. It had the "fireworks", so to speak, but there were some big problems. I was always "his girlfriend", for one, because he was the extrovert. He also couldn't wrap his head around my need to be alone, to leave parties etc. If I wanted to be alone, he took that as meaning that something was wrong and hence if I insisted that nothing was wrong, he believed I was hiding things from him.

ENFJ's are also natural givers so the relationship did become one-sided. It's interesting because now in my INFPxINFP relationship, I sometimes catch myself slipping into the ENFJ role, and I was recently mistyped by a colleague as an ENFJ. I can see, now, how frustrating it must have been for my ex ENFJ partner, because he valued generosity and I valued fairness. I think that ENFJ/INFP relationships will always slip into that trap at some point, of one partner giving more (out of love) but then becoming resentful when it seems like it's not being reciprocated, or it's being taken for granted, meanwhile the INFP is basically unaware of this building tension until it's gone too far.

That being said, people are different. Me and that ENFJ were young; it may not have ended like it did if we had been more mature and more capable of confronting the issues that we had without being explosive. But, I think it's in the nature of both INFP's and ENFJ's to be explosive when tension is high and feelings are hurt, so it's a risk.

Reactions: sweethomealabama
1 - 20 of 61 Posts