Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any pets, or any suggestions for pets? I have a rabbit, actually, and he's about 7 years old, but getting on in his years and I was thinking of getting a cat. They're vocal but less needy and rambunctious than dogs are, not to mention they don't need to be let out or given as many baths, if any. Dogs strike me as an extrovert's pet preference, but I'm wondering about other animals too, like ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, reptiles, and so on.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Definitely dogs for me! Though I don't have one anymore and for a long time now :(

I also had a bunny whom I loved very much. She was pretty quirky, making a mess,cuddling up to me for some head-rubs and going nuts and running around doing binkeys. Unfortunately she died of GI stasis and I vowed never to own a pet again. It hurt too much and made me feel confused about feeling hurt.

Maybe different type of dog..the ones more gentle in temperament? Not sure if breed like that exist.
Maybe get another bunneh?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Golden Retriever. She was the perfect pet.
I could imagine that a horse would be pretty nice. Maybe INFJs are good horse whisperers. :)
Goldens are lovely. Don't know where I'd put it, though. I live in an apartment, and not a large one, at that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely dogs for me! Though I don't have one anymore and for a long time now :(

I also had a bunny whom I loved very much. She was pretty quirky, making a mess,cuddling up to me for some head-rubs and going nuts and running around doing binkeys. Unfortunately she died of GI stasis and I vowed never to own a pet again. It hurt too much and made me feel confused about feeling hurt.

Maybe different type of dog..the ones more gentle in temperament? Not sure if breed like that exist.
Maybe get another bunneh?
Oh no! I'm sorry. I'll be very sad when my bun dies, but at the same time, he lived a good life, full of hay and carrots and the pellets he likes most. He loves getting nose scratch and prancing around when I let him loose. It's funny - he's as neurotic as I am. The vacuum cleaner is his nemesis.

I understand the risk of getting attached to an animal, because the loss is a lot like losing a friendship or even the death of a family member. But there are so many benefits to pets, particularly for shy, introverted people like me, with a lot of anxiety. I love having someone to talk to who won't talk back to me and tell me that I need to just "deal with it". Pets do that. They don't care if you're crying, or worried, or happy. They just want to be with you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like dogs as well. I like old english sleep dogs because I had one when I was little and I rode on its back. He even cuddled me when I was sad. I also really like hamsters also I don't like how gross they are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an adorable snobby coward of a canary as a pet. He used to have a dorky budgie companion, but he died a year ago. You won't believe how much character both have/had; they lived side by side like an old couple, fights and teasing included.

The birds are my first and only pets I was allowed to have as a kid. As much as I love birds, I want to get a Husky when I move out.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I have fish, and I love my fish. I think fish are some of the greatest pets, because they require less maintenance and they are still cool to watch. I recommend non-aggressive fish though, you don't want them eating each other.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I like dogs as well. I like old english sleep dogs because I had one when I was little and I rode on its back. He even cuddled me when I was sad. I also really like hamsters also I don't like how gross they are.
When the boys were 2 and 4 years old, the neighbor's Old English sheep dog would come over and play with them. Never a sigh of hostility - just a light paw to stop excessive roughness. Every day that they were playing outside. The neighbors moved and the dog was killed trying to come home. Beautiful dog, loving dog.
Dog stories are invariably sad - they die for us.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
All of you so far are wrong. Cats are the best!!!

No, obviously it's a matter of personal preference. But I'm surprised no-one so far has gone for cats.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I've always been a dog lover, and I currently adopted one with my husband. :) Thought currently I have a love hate relationship with him lol as he is the first dog that has been difficult to deal with when it comes to education, and he taught me a lot coz of that.

Dogs are really great pets and they are probably less independent than cats, and you can also take them to many places compared to cats I guess. But compared to cats, they need daily walks and company so that more independent owners probably prefer cats.

Anyone who wants a dog should be careful at picking the right breed plus "personality" that is compatible with their lifestyle and energy level. A dog that has lots of energy required longer walks and physical/mental stimulation to be happy, that an owner that can't satisfy it might make both dog and owner miserable.

But if you really want to have a dog, adoption might be a nice choice. :) Just try to access the dog's personality and energy level when choosing the right dog.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a cat. I love cats and dogs, but cats are easier for apartments. I love cats because they are clever.
That's why I like them, too. I have a love for mellow cats who simply love to curl up on my lap or sleep next to me, quietly and without any sudden movements. Dogs are too fidgety and bark too much (well this has been my personal experience).

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Well if you're going to get a cat then don't get a kitten I guess :) There are some pretty mellow dogs out there too though (similar to cats). Just depends on the personality really.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
That's why I like them, too. I have a love for mellow cats who simply love to curl up on my lap or sleep next to me, quietly and without any sudden movements. Dogs are too fidgety and bark too much (well this has been my personal experience).
I've had good experiences with dogs and bad ones. it's like half and half for me. I've had about 7 cats living with my family since childhood and never had a problem. When you find a good dog there's nothing like it, but a bad dog is a nightmare. Cats are great or they just leave you alone.

It's funny watching cats. Mine creeps around the house like a ninja - attacking my chapstick. lol

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Dogs strike me as an extrovert's pet preference
Why would dogs be an extrovert's pet?

I guess some might. My dog was an introvert. He hid behind the recliner in the living room or under my bed. He preferred to sleep under my bed instead of in his bed, so I put his bed under there. I think he even preferred staying indoors for the majority of the time. He didn't ever bug me about going outside except to use the "toilet." He was good at barking at anyone who came to the door, which I fully encouraged. I remember he would be next to the door barking and I would say "good boy" which would make him look over at me with big eyes and then he would start barking even more energetically and look really happy. He didn't really make any noise besides that.

My mom (ESFJ) had a lab that was pretty much an ESFJ in dog form. Was always frantic about meeting other dogs and people and very energetic and wanting to go outside all the time. My dog had no interest in meeting other dogs or people.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts