Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have devised a categorization for all the MBTI types using a single characteristic. And I shall explain why these characteristics are important. Typically other types can use these characteristics as well, but these apply the most to this type. It just seems rather boring with 4 letters sometimes and it is easier to tell people who you are by using this one word. It is also good to know the difference between your type and others.

(so far I only have the NTs, but I shall come up with more feel free to add any input)

INTP - analysts
This type is most capable of analysis. Naturally INTPs will get ideas from the external world using Ne and apply it to their very detailed, orderly thoughts. With the combination of Ti and Si, second-guessing, detailing and noticing inconsistencies within these ideas are quite helpful for analysis. Although INTPs are not prone to "application" as much as ENTJs (with same ordered traits), if an INTP has done a lot of critical thinking they can come up with brilliant ideas. Though intelligence is only a consequence for most INTPs, all INTPs will be analytic throughout their life.

INTJ - strategists
Often found as long-term planners and "behind the scene" businessmen, the INTJ is the best at application and strategy. With the use of Ni, an INTJ will assess their ideas very with little influence from others. An INTJ may sort out their ideas through Te and begin to really assess the ideas more carefully. Unlike the ISTJ (with dominant Si and inferior Ne), the INTJ's ideas are far stronger than any type. INTJs heavily use subconscious thoughts and are sought to find their own approach to situations. If an INTJ puts their mind to it, they can achieve many great things.

ENTJ - executives
An ENTJ is the ideal leader for almost any situation. The ENTJ really takes charge of situations and can handle them quickly and efficiently once their Te becomes developed. The ENTJ are far less "J" than INTJs, using their Te and Se more. This characteristic make them rather flexible, but not overwhelmingly, to fine tune any of their ideas. They use their Te for the prime intent to execute careful thought to situations and make it ready for action. Their Ni is utilized for coming up with their own idea of what works and what doesn't. An ENTJ works best in discussion when thought is carefully utilized.

ENTP - inventors
Considering that ENTPs are one of the best improvisers, their quick ability to come up with brilliant ideas serves them well for inventions. Their ideas are drawn by Ne to think of new inventions. Although different from the ENFP (both dominant Ne), the ENTP prefers to think through some of their inventions to ensure that it is logically sound and makes sense. An ENTP is quite optimistic with their ideas and will cease an opportunity to create something new when it is readily available. ENTPs tend to pay less attention to constructing inventions with details and prefer looking at the main picture before starting an invention, which is essential for any invention.

P.S. I meant to say word, but accidentally said world. fml.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The flattery makes me nauseous. :X And ENTJs far less "J" than INTJs - that's behaviorism at its worst. But you seem to get the gist in general ways about cognitive functions anyhow, which is okay.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flattery makes me nauseous. :X And ENTJs far less "J" than INTJs - that's behaviorism at its worst. But you seem to get the gist in general ways about cognitive functions anyhow, which is okay.
I can't tell if the first thing you said was sarcastic. The point was to summarize a description, but more importantly categorize for the sake of making a best suited word. If there's anything you'd disagree with I can edit it (so long as it isn't fallacious).

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Using just one world?

Ti Dominants: Pluto
Fi Dominants: Uranus
Te Dominants: Saturn
Fe Dominants: Venus
Si Dominants: Chiron/Planet (Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri is freaking AWESOME so therefore it's ours)
Ni Dominants: Jupiter
Se Dominants: Mercury
Ne Dominants: Mars

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
for fantastical reasons, such as story-book writing, these are great character descriptions. sadly, few would actually live up to the ideals of those "modern archetypes", and if they did, they'd be a very one-dimensional person at best, and at worst, a very unhealthy person.

i think a few things are definitely embellished, and some are just not correct. why would an ENTJ be less "judging" than an INTJ? do you mean less stubborn? if so... it wouldn't depend on the functions as much as it would the person. an Je might be more giving of lee-way, but i can easily see how it wouldn't be either--i can see cases for both because again, it's dependent upon the individual.

most of the types you described would in fact be correct if everyone of those types put the same value into the needed functions in order to achieve that goal. most don't, because no two people are the same so it could very well be that most of a certain type don't actually match your description, or that they might match your description just as well as another that doesn't pertain to them (because both would speak of something they have and of what they don't but are "supposed to").

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for fantastical reasons, such as story-book writing, these are great character descriptions. sadly, few would actually live up to the ideals of those "modern archetypes", and if they did, they'd be a very one-dimensional person at best, and at worst, a very unhealthy person.

i think a few things are definitely embellished, and some are just not correct. why would an ENTJ be less "judging" than an INTJ? do you mean less stubborn? if so... it wouldn't depend on the functions as much as it would the person. an Je might be more giving of lee-way, but i can easily see how it wouldn't be either--i can see cases for both because again, it's dependent upon the individual.

most of the types you described would in fact be correct if everyone of those types put the same value into the needed functions in order to achieve that goal. most don't, because no two people are the same so it could very well be that most of a certain type don't actually match your description, or that they might match your description just as well as another that doesn't pertain to them (because both would speak of something they have and of what they don't but are "supposed to").
They're far from character descriptions. I thought I looked very carefully at the cognitive functions and how they operate to form the one-word category.

An ENTJ is less J than an INTJ, because an ENTJ has a higher Se, allowing them to use it more frequently and using some perception to arrive at facts. The only thing that really distinguishes J from P is just more J than P :tongue: In a similar respect, an ISFP is less P than an ESFP, because an ESFP uses more Se.

Not entirely sure what you mean with your last statement, but if you believe in the MBTI you'll know that certain features are innate. If we are going to use any description of personalities we may as well use it based on the category system and not just similarities within personality types. To the general public it would be much easier to say this person is executive or analytic rather than ENTJ or INTP. Is it not true that naturally there is something that one is far more capable of? I mean I've been analytic my whole life and haven't entirely realized that. Same types must have similarities otherwise MBTI is nothing but a bland category that is literally insignificant.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
oh, what i meant was that ENTJ's are technically Judgers since they're dominant feature is Te while INTJ's are Perceivers because of Ni--but even then it would come down to how each actually used those functions, to what degree, and what did they bring in to augment their dominant (and again, to what degree).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh, what i meant was that ENTJ's are technically Judgers since they're dominant feature is Te while INTJ's are Perceivers because of Ni--but even then it would come down to how each actually used those functions, to what degree, and what did they bring in to augment their dominant (and again, to what degree).
Yes, the "J" in ENTJ was quite the giveaway. :wink:

But really it is a spectrum and INTJs are higher on J side of the P - J spectrum.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes, the "J" in ENTJ was quite the giveaway. :wink:

But really it is a spectrum and INTJs are higher on J side of the P - J spectrum.
I tend to disagree. As @celticstained already explained, INTJs have a dominant perceiving function (Ni) while an ENTJ's primary is Te.
Myers-Briggs-terminology in the J/P department is based on the assumption that the first extroverted function is the one that has the most noticeable effect on those characteristics. The letter J is based on Te for both INTJs and ENTJs, despite Te being only secondary for INTJs. So J/P should be more easily recognizable/more expressed in extroverts.
This is the reason why socionics even has it the other way round with introverts (without really assigning the letters different meanings!)

This does coincide with my own experience, as I often score close to the middle. It also fits my (admittedly limited) experience with trying to type others.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tend to disagree. As @celticstained already explained, INTJs have a dominant perceiving function (Ni) while an ENTJ's primary is Te.
Myers-Briggs-terminology in the J/P department is based on the assumption that the first extroverted function is the one that has the most noticeable effect on those characteristics. The letter J is based on Te for both INTJs and ENTJs, despite Te being only secondary for INTJs. So J/P should be more easily recognizable/more expressed in extroverts.
This is the reason why socionics even has it the other way round with introverts (without really assigning the letters different meanings!)

This does coincide with my own experience, as I often score close to the middle. It also fits my (admittedly limited) experience with trying to type others.
ESFP, ISFP, ENTJ and INTJ all have the same functions: Te, Se, Ni, Fi. If you focus on their perceiving function, which is used externally of course it is Se while their judging function is Ni. In order of most P to most J its ESFP > ISFP > ENTJ > INTJ. Its not the fact that ENTJs use more Te that makes them less judging, but the fact that they rely on Se as a tertiary and Ni as an auxiliary. Perceiving is gathering information, so the preference to perceive must be external, because the only way to gather new information is externally. There is a spectrum for 4 types.
1). ESFP/ISFP/ENTJ/INTJ (Te, Se, Ni, Fi)
2). ESFJ/ISFJ/ENTP/INTP (Ti, Si, Ne, Fe)
3). ENFJ/INFJ/ESTP/ISTP (Ti, Se, Ni, Fe)
4). ENFP/INFP/ESTJ/ISTJ (Te, Si, Ne, Fi)

I hope that clears things up a bit more for you.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
At first i thought: Ah!, I see what you do here
Using just one world?
Fi Dominants: Uranus
Then this
Whaaaaaa? You can't judge with a PERCEIVING function! That makes less sense than string theory!
Theres only one "world" to describe this: Super-mega-ultimate -revesible -extremely-acurable -extended to infinite LOL
This make my day, well say Owfin, well say indeed.:ninja:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whaaaaaa? You can't judge with a PERCEIVING function! That makes less sense than string theory!
That's not at all what I was getting at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts