Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there is a companion thread floating around about "The Worst Traits of All 9 Types"; I thought I would cover the opposite! :)

The name of the game is to post your favorite trait(s) about each of the nine Enneagram types: go!

Type 1: Moral conviction and integrity; I admire it.
Type 2: Willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty to be there for someone (or a cause).
Type 3: Boundless energy, and quick wit (fun, playful, verbal sparing partners).
Type 4: Ability to discuss and be comfortable with emotions.
Type 5: Quirky sense of humor.
Type 6: Loyalty; and can be fun to banter with.
Type 7: Fun! Always exciting, and really seize the day with me (real companions).
Type 8: Protective nature, and willingness to fight for the underdog.
Type 9: Calm energy (ability to calm me down); accepting nature. They always listen to my stories too!

·
Registered
850 Posts
1-I don't know many by any means. There's only one that I'm pretty sure of, a 1w9 and he's very intellectual and thoughtful. Ethical, philosophical and politically correct.

2-My boss is a 2 and he goes waaay above and beyond what he is required. He brings people coffee, gives people rides to and from work when he is not even working that day, is super accommodating with the schedule and pretty much everything else...

3-Real go-getters, obviously. Always improving themselves which I find very admirable. They don't let anything get in the way of their goals. They are usually diplomatic.

4-Well they are self aware which I am definitely into.

5-Rational and not easily offended I think. I like that. I like to be able to have a frank conversation with someone and not have to worry about them getting all pissy. Let's talk about the ISSUES and real ideas and concepts without me having to walk around on eggshells. Also, they are always willing to go deeper in conversation than most would have the patience for, and really think about what they are saying and what I am saying.

6-My favorites of all. Always there for you. A friend for life. Most trustworthy.

7-Fun, always down to party, not too emotional usually.

8-Direct. That is the only nice thing I have to say, but I really do appreciate that. I don't really like bullshit any more than eights do, but I'll put up with it to not be an asshole. They just go all the way with avoiding bullshit and I guess that is admirable.

9-Just the nicest people of all. And great listeners.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I thought the "worst traits" thread was too negative, and then I saw this thread...which was started by a 7...and the other comment saying best traits is by a 7...and I was planning on commenting with my opinion of each type's best traits, and I'm also a 7...so I think I know what 7's best trait is.

1 - 1s stand by what they believe in and tend to keep themselves and whoever they're working with organized and grounded.
2 - Forget all the stuff about pride for a second and admire the fact that 2s are out there doing good things for people without asking for much in return - just a little recognition, which we should be giving to anyone that kind anyway.
3 - Motivation machines. 3s are the kind of people who set goals and actually follow through, which is something I deeply admire. A skill I wish I had.
4 - Much more in touch with their inner worlds than any of the rest of us ever will be. Perhaps it's true that they know secrets about human nature that we never will.
5 - Secretly hilarious, not-so-secretly also totally genius. They think things through and they'll tell you when they know they're right without shame. It's not an ego thing, it's a truth thing.
6 - The strongest type in all of enneagram, IMO. They survive existential anxiety - true Gryffindors in that they are both brave and loyal. My buddies.
7 - Always looking for the happier alternative. Always looking for the good in people, things, moments, opportunities. We bring light to dark situations.
8 - Unwavering and resourceful. 8s do everything they do because they care about their people. They are some of the most "awake" people I know.
9 - Some of the most gut-wrenching, beautiful art I've seen has come from 9s. Their brains are much deeper, darker, more colorful, more twisted than they'll ever show you. But that mystery is a beautiful thing.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
9 - Some of the most gut-wrenching, beautiful art I've seen has come from 9s. Their brains are much deeper, darker, more colorful, more twisted than they'll ever show you. But that mystery is a beautiful thing.
Please tell this to the morons who write type Nine descriptions and make us sound like a bunch of dizzy dingbats.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Please tell this to the morons who write type Nine descriptions and make us sound like a bunch of dizzy dingbats.
I strongly agree. Nines are always the people I go to to bitch about life. And they always bitch back! For being positive outlook types, their outlook is often pervasively gloomy and fatalistic....I find them to be dark, often with an ironic sense of humor. And thank God--no one would ever hear my existential woes if there were no 9s.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
So, there is a companion thread floating around about "The Worst Traits of All 9 Types"; I thought I would cover the opposite! :)
The name of the game is to post your favorite trait(s) about each of the nine Enneagram types: go!
since this is clearly not a satire, I shall respond in earnest

Type 1: Moral conviction and integrity; I admire it.
good so far. 1 is one of my favorite types for this reason =)

Type 2: Willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty to be there for someone (or a cause).
"beyond the call of duty" is not a phrase I would have used, but that's nitpicky. as much as I admire Naranjo, I have to admit that 2 is quite a bit more loyal than he paints them as

Type 3: Boundless energy, and quick wit (fun, playful, verbal sparing partners).
this is more 7 or Sexual 2 than 3. most 3s, while action oriented, are a bit more dry, choose their battles carefully and lack the mental effervescence of 7s

Type 4: Ability to discuss and be comfortable with emotions.
fair enough

Type 5: Quirky sense of humor.
often (though, as with 3, I've found this applies most to 7s)

Type 6: Loyalty; and can be fun to banter with.
in my experience, most 6s really aren't all that loyal unless they have a 1 fix. Sexual 6s in particular are some of the LEAST loyal people you will ever meet. if I had to pick a subtype, Self Preservation 6 is probably the most loyal (at least emotionally, though they might duck and hide to save their skin if a dangerous situation arises)

Type 7: Fun! Always exciting, and really seize the day with me (real companions).
agreed

Type 8: Protective nature, and willingness to fight for the underdog.
if the underdog is
a) a child
b) family/close friends
or
c) genuinely trying to fight their way to the top
8s respect a fighting spirit, and generally won't waste much energy on someone who doesn't have one

Type 9: Calm energy (ability to calm me down); accepting nature. They always listen to my stories too!
well, at least they'll sit there like "yeah" "mmhmm" "okay" "oh that's nice" "of course"....etc

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
in my experience, most 6s really aren't all that loyal unless they have a 1 fix. Sexual 6s in particular are some of the LEAST loyal people you will ever meet. if I had to pick a subtype, Self Preservation 6 is probably the most loyal (at least emotionally, though they might duck and hide to save their skin if a dangerous situation arises)
now you have to say something nice about type 6 to balance out the negating you did here. keep this post positive for all types!

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
now you have to say something nice about type 6 to balance out the negating you did here. keep this post positive for all types!
a discussion pertaining to the positives of each types is still a discussion, and that means disagreeing with a claim if you believe it to be untrue or over exaggerated.

that said, there's no reason I can't humor you, especially since type 6 has a history of being shit on. I find the skepticism of more confident 6s extremely useful, and I have increasingly grown to respect their bullshit-detector abilities over the years (in fact, it's something I'm a bit envious of).

additionally, they can be surprisingly strong-willed and vicious (whether necessarily or unnecessarily) and hold down a number of high stress careers which would make more positive outlook types break within the month.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
a discussion pertaining to the positives of each types is still a discussion, and that means disagreeing with a claim if you believe it to be untrue or over exaggerated.
Discuss or disagree all you want! - just, if you say something not-nice, you should follow with something nice to keep it light. Which is maybe a rule we all should follow in all areas in our life, but that seems a bit unrealistic to ask of all of humanity, so let's just do it on this thread. :tongue:

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discuss or disagree all you want! - just, if you say something not-nice, you should follow with something nice to keep it light. Which is maybe a rule we all should follow in all areas in our life, but that seems a bit unrealistic to ask of all of humanity, so let's just do it on this thread. :tongue:
and I had no reservations about doing so....but you never responded to it :tongue:

·
Registered
6,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
since this is clearly not a satire, I shall respond in earnest

good so far. 1 is one of my favorite types for this reason =)

"beyond the call of duty" is not a phrase I would have used, but that's nitpicky. as much as I admire Naranjo, I have to admit that 2 is quite a bit more loyal than he paints them as

this is more 7 or Sexual 2 than 3. most 3s, while action oriented, are a bit more dry, choose their battles carefully and lack the mental effervescence of 7s

fair enough

often (though, as with 3, I've found this applies most to 7s)

agreed

if the underdog is
a) a child
b) family/close friends
or
c) genuinely trying to fight their way to the top
8s respect a fighting spirit, and generally won't waste much energy on someone who doesn't have one

well, at least they'll sit there like "yeah" "mmhmm" "okay" "oh that's nice" "of course"....etc
Hi @Swordsman of Mana ! Thanks for responding! Maybe I was not clear on the "game" I was playing, but you're suppose to write your favorite trait about each Enneagram type. :)

I was just writing my favorite things about real life people I know, of each Enneagram type. I do know a Type 3 who is a bit more like a Type 7 (I think this is because he is a 3w2). I am a more reserved Type 7; it happens. Those are my favorite things about each of the Enneagram types, I'm sure your list will be different (as all people, circumstances, and observations are).

So, I'd love to hear your own personal list of what you appreciate about each type! :D

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Swordsman of Mana : Also, I know you're big on Type 6's not being "loyal", however, my experiences with the Type 6's in my life, is that they have been the most loyal people I know! I don't really care why they're loyal (lol). I just know I appreciate it.

& Type 2 : I know a few healthy, a few unhealthy. & the healthy Type 2's I know, do go above the call of duty (in my opinion); & I genuinely appreciate the hell out of that. Just my experience.

This was a game, not really a discussion (though feel free to discuss; but you're ruining the game :tongue: ). That would be like discussing the "Enneagram Types As. . ." forum thread. "Well, I find that most Type 7's in my life are not like a gym building, Monet painting, or terrier puppy";;; XD

This is a chance to brighten someone's day, make people feel good about themselves, hear a special truth about themselves that they relate to & that makes them smile, and really pay tribute to each type. Gratitude is best when it is expressed; not hidden (and it makes all the difference). :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
@Swordsman of Mana : Also, I know you're big on Type 6's not being "loyal", however, my experiences with the Type 6's in my life, is that they have been the most loyal people I know! I don't really care why they're loyal (lol). I just know I appreciate it.

)
The other thing is there is a major difference between how people perceive themselves and how others perceive them. SoM may not see 6s as 'loyal', however many 6s consider themselves 'loyal' and 'dutiful' to those the higher authorities or people that they trust. The personality structure of 6 is directed towards swearing absolute allegiance to groups (Although this trust is questioned in the process).

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@o0india0o
very well

1s:
- tons of conviction and backbone
- a strong sense of personal pride (which is hardly mentioned in descriptions)
- authoritative
- can be extremely rebellious, more so than 6s and 8s, if something goes against their principles
- proficient communication and conflict resolution skills

2s:
- assertive and generally able to go after what they want
- extremely charismatic
- (male 2s) a rare mix of sensitive, caring and seductive with proud, formidable and protective
- (female 2s) diva par-excellence

3s:
- extremely productive, far more genuinely confident than the smooth talking, political weasels they are characterized as
- quietly competitive without being dick-slinging
- generally pretty down to earth

4s:
- able to read who is being fake/who isn't
- alluring, "dark" people are a lot more interesting

5s:
- able to keep detached and cool under stress
- patience
- generally well read (or well informed in some capacity at least)

6s:
- strategic, lots of contingency plans
- generally capable of being vicious when necessary
- a rare combination of detail oriented and intuitive

7s:
- confident
- controversial yet intelligent humor
- good at thinking on their feet
- bounce back quickly from setbacks

8s:
- lack of guilt
- confidence, specifically a ground, physical confidence which I can't help by envy
- hedonistic
- dark sense of humor
- cocky like 7s, but a more "durable" cockiness
- more in touch with instincts than the other types

9s:
- relaxed
- good listeners
- accepting

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
1s:
- tons of conviction and backbone
If you mean by having a strong sense of personal integrity, yes

- authoritative
More like demanding and nit-picky. 8s are authoritative

- proficient communication and conflict resolution skills
Source?

2s:
- assertive and generally able to go after what they want
2s primarily prioritize the needs of others first

- extremely charismatic
wat?

3s:
- quietly competitive without being dick-slinging
What are you smoking bro. SP3, yes

4s:
- able to read who is being fake/who isn't
Intuitive yes, and I assume this from your personal experience?

5s:
- patience
Less so for reactive SX 584

7s:
- confident
Not necessarily. There are shy 7s
- controversial yet intelligent humor
Ah, the flattery

No offense, sometimes it sounds like you pull a lot of what you say out of *subjective experience*

1 - 20 of 29 Posts