Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Well, I stayed in university for five years so this list is based on my experience alone. I love(d) -- Lots of things about university life that I can't continue doing now that I'm living at home:

1) Some of my courses and professors (and the grades I got)
2) Midnight walks! 2 a.m. bread-omlette! 4 a.m. breakfast!!
3) Getting drunk and all the escapades that went with it
4) HUNDREDS OF FRIENDS - this one is the best.
5) Having to walk or cycle everywhere - I would grumble but it kept me fit.

I hate(d)--

1) The food
2) The fact that I had to stand in long lines at the bank for EVERYTHING
3) Having to switch rooms/room mates all the time... ugh. A not-so-funny story-

There was this one time I came back after the Christmas vacation only to find some other girl staying in my room (where I'd left all my stuff!) The hostel warden had opened my room and let her in for a week, and she refused to let me in because she didn't want to have a room mate. I remember sitting gloomily on the steps all day and then spending that night in the front lobby of the hostel building, half asleep on the sofa for visitors, my luggage from vacation all around me and with my sunglasses and bandana still on my head. :tongue: I ended up having to share a friend's room for that one week in the MEN'S hostel. Yeah, it wasn't that great. :dry: The bathrooms in that part of the building were AWFUL and my friend never seemed to have any soap (I used hotel soap and shampoo from my own luggage :p)

4) University politics - most issues and protests just gave me a big headache, but I would join in anyway
5) How pathetic their health centre services and emergency care are. I'm serious. They gave me quite the run-around for everything!!

Reactions: The red spirit

·
Registered
421 Posts
In no particular order:
Pros
1) The chance to pursue a subject you are genuinely interested in. And dump the ones that bore you.
2) The freedom that comes with moving away from home the first time. "It is a weeknight and I stayed out till 5:30!"
3) The ability to mix with other intelligent people. The new experiences and perspectives that come from that.
4) The fact that it qualified me for my ideal career.
5) The massive holidays.

Cons
1) Epic cost.
2) Victorian-era attitude of the university institution.
3) Scary (at first) lack of structure.
4) Vampire landlords.
5) Finals. (You'll understand).

5) How pathetic their health centre services and emergency care are. I'm serious. They gave me quite the run-around for everything!!
This one made me nostalgic. At my Uni the everyone used to say that by the time you got an appointment with the Student Health Service you'd be either better or dead.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In no particular order:

Pros
1) Being able to make friends in so many different circles. Not only do I now have friends from my major classes in the same field I am in that are mostly interested in the same thing, but I seem to have friends from just about everywhere. Getting to interact with so many different people is fascinating and fun.
2) My school's art. We are well-known in "artsy" circles for our gallery as well as our productions. Students are required to attend several productions a semester, and they are just fantastically well-done. Everything from Shakespeare plays to operas to classical concerts...
3) Learning! I cannot stress how much I love this. Is it crazy busy? yes. Is it hard? undoubtedly. but I can now honestly say learning is fun. especially when it is something you are very much interested in.
4) the teachers. They are so crazy. Most of them know how to make their class fun and interesting (I mean... this is their job. it's what they do), and on top of that, I can tell that they truly care about the individual students in the class. At least at my school. They honestly want to help you and be there for you and do everything they can to help you excel.
5) Freedom to make your own choices. Are you going to make some stupid ones? yes. Have I stayed up too late when I had a test the next morning? yup. Have I procrastinated and had to pull an all-nighter to turn in a paper? of course. But that's the only way you learn. College is such a good experience because it forces you to grow up. You will never be the same after a year of college (for better or for worse).

Cons
1) not enough sleep. ever. I cannot stress this one enough. After my second semester I was so tired I felt dead. My sister even said I looked like a zombie when I came home. I was at the end of my patience level. I didn't even have enough energy to say goodbye to everyone. And it took me 2 weeks of being home to start feeling normal again.
2) just in general not enough time. I felt like I could not study for everything and accomplish everything that needed to be done. I was always leaving something out and letting it slide. I hate feeling like I didn't do my best, and that is what I constantly felt like. That I could have done better if I had just had a little more time.
3) Being poor. Not only are there insane college tuition bills, but sometime you just have to go get yourself a cup of coffee with a friend. or even just do your laundry. everything costs a lot.
4) Being away from my cat. Yes, I am a crazy cat lady. Not really, but I do have a bengal at home that needs me. She is very social and loves cuddling and just needs a lot of attention and affection. Sadly they don't yet allow cats in dorm rooms. (yet another reason I should have been accepted into Hogwarts)
5) Missing everyone back home. As an ESTJ I do not like change. And college is change multiplied by 50 million. Even going home doesn't feel the same anymore. Because you have all moved on and changed so much and gone different directions. And there is a part of me that yearns for how things used to be.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Pros:
1. Not really having to worry about what I was doing in my life or being seen as a loser. I already knew what I had to do in order to be successful, and as long as I worked hard, I would be able to succeed. It turns out it isn't that way in the real world and you can be screwed no matter how hard you work.
2. Getting to take interesting classes with great professors.
3. Long summer/winter breaks to work at internships and catch up with friends. Some of the best and most event-filled times of my life.
4. My off-campus room that I had for the last 3 years of college was the nicest place I've ever lived in. It was 1.5x the size of the room I live in now and share with my fiance, and it had a walk-in closet.
5. The availability of awesome food in the college town -- I live in the semi-ghetto now and it's pretty hard to find decent food.

Cons:
1. Not having much in common with anyone at my college. I made lots of friends in my home city during those 4 years, but not one lasting friend at college.
2. Having to live an unhealthy and stressful lifestyle because of the amount of work there was. I often didn't even have time to cook a decent meal, let alone get 8 hours of sleep a night. I could have mitigated this to some extent though if I had better time management skills.
3. Long-distance relationships. Two of them over the last two years of college with guys from my home city. The first one was a bad relationship made even more stressful by the distance. The second one was/is a great relationship which meant my dude and I were missing each other all the time. At least we got to see each other every other weekend, but that still seemed like forever.
4. The administration in my college really sucked and tried to f*ck up my life on multiple occasions.
5. I thought people would respect my degree, but I've been unemployed for 3 months since graduation trying to break into a field I have no experience in, so apparently nobody outside of science respects a science degree at all. I'm pretty sure if I had majored in liberal arts, ironically, I would have a job by now in the sector I wanted to work in.

·
Registered
INTP
1,755 Posts
Pros:
1) The campus library is pretty quiet and I've found some good books there.
2) There is a nice small garden area nobody goes to.
3) idk
4) It's something to do? Though other things are a better use of time...
5) I learned how to make the most of public transit.

Cons:
1) So fucking EXPENSIVE.
2) I don't fit in with anybody and it's the loneliest place on earth, even worse than high school. All anyone ever wants to talk about is drinking and getting high ((lame/boring)).
3) The teachers are douchebags who drop my grade for the most retarded reasons ever. ie Art teacher: "You are holding your pencil wrong!" WTF I've been holding my pencil this way my whole life and it's worked fine!! Teachers also told me stupid things like "You are too young to be here" and one even asked "What gender are you anyway?" even after being enrolled in their class for several months! What, you really CAN'T TELL after that long?! Dumbasses.
4) The classes kill all the passion and interest I've had in all sorts of subjects, making it hard to care anymore. Most were terribly constructed and poorly taught. I started college so enthusiastic and positive, optimistic about my chosen career path, only for the life to be crushed out of me.
5) That place is so disease-ridden. I was constantly coming down with colds/flus, missing class due to being sick. My writing class had a mass outbreak of a highly contagious virus in my first year of college that basically ruined my health for life. It did damage that I may never recover from.
6) Finals that start so early in the morning that the sun isn't even up yet and if I take the first bus out from my home to get to school, I would STILL be late for them.
7) Teammates on group projects who never... do... ANYTHING. This is fucking college. WHY DON'T YOU WORK HARDER?!?! Every team experience involved me doing almost everything since they wouldn't even try. They would always sit and stare at me blankly, asking stupid questions like "So what was the assignment?" when the teacher spent the last half hour explaining it. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO DUMB IN COLLEGE?!
8) All the weird required courses that I supposedly "need", even when it has NOTHING to do with my major. Why isn't college set up to where you only take classes you actually need for your degree? My major is in the hard sciences so why do I have to take stuff like art, "cultural studies", health and other stuff I could study in my free time if I was curious enough? Also, a lot of these classes are the same as high school :l It's just made ten times worse because it's EXPENSIVE. It's a waste of time and money when I could be using that same time and money on the classes that actually matter to my science degree, like physics and chemistry classes.
9) The scheduling is crap. Why is it that so many classes I need to take are only available at times that OVERLAP each other?! 4-year degrees become 6-year degrees because of this stupid shit.
10) Textbooks and their new versions every year with their stupidly high pricetag. I AM NOT A WEALTHY PERSON. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST LEAVE IT ALONE?! And then classes that claim to require textbooks then don't actually use them even once... WTF. This is proof colleges are all about making a buck and not really about education.
11) College "education" is expected of everyone these days and you're a loser if you don't finish. Say you hate college and people think there's something wrong with you and/or you get lectured about how you are "looking at it wrong". Really? REALLY?!
12) Suicidal thoughts. College sucks all the meaning and value out of life. I never felt such awful depression before. I'm constantly cracking under the pressure, the work, time and bad health. I am currently temporarily dropped out of college because I was in danger of killing myself... so now I am burdened with the uncertainty of where my future will go.

Thanks, college, for killing my dreams, ruining my health, destroying my bank account and making life be worth nothing. How anyone can enjoy you is beyond me...

I only really liked the library. That was where I did all my college learning.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pros--
1. Dining hall food. So many choices at every meal and always all you can eat. I gained my freshman 15 and then some.

2. Always having people right there to do stuff with. Late night Sonics run? Skipping class to go to the beach? Stripping at 4am after the frat party? There's always dozens ready to join you-- all living right on your hallway. No need to text twenty people to find one person willing hang out.

3. The mentally stimulating environment. I get discouraged with people a lot more since spending four years at my small, academically-orientated liberal arts college. There's something about walking to dinner passing a girl practicing the cello in the elevated walkway, a kid painting the mountain view from back campus, a geology class setting up seismometers around campus, and a group in homemade traditional masks rehearsing for the Greek play in the amphitheater only to enter the dining hall, sit down, and engage in a heated debate about medieval Russian politics with an engineering major still sweaty from the interpretive dance class he's taking just for the hell of it. It's an ENTP Renaissance man's dream.

4. Not having to worry about money. Yes, you're a poor college student and can't live fancily, but the tens of thousands of dollars of debt you're piling up are a worry for the distant future after graduation-- a time so far in the future it might as well not exist and hey-- people will be knocking down your door to give you a six-figure salary the second you graduate with that degree in English, so what's there to worry about? All you care about is that at this moment you have a bed to bring girls to, food stolen from the dining hall in the mini fridge, and just enough cash for beer tonight. Life is good.

5. Optimism. It's easy to be optimistic in college. Everything's just given to you and all the college recruiters tell you how awesome your life is going to be the second you get that degree. The world is going to be handed to you. Sucky job market? Won't affect you. Employers will be so impressed with the knowledge you gained taking that History of Food and Drink in Middle Modern India class that the fact you have no actual job experience will be irrelevant. You're doing exactly what all your teachers throughout school told you to do and you're getting a college education. Your life is going to be strawberry pie as soon as you get through your senior paper and finals, which will be the hardest, most trying thing you'll ever have to get through. After that, though-- breezy.

Cons

1. It ends. You graduate, don't get the job you wanted, and your student loan payments kick in with a vengeance demanding three quarters of your paycheck so you have to move back in with your parents. You realize the rest of the world couldn't care less about how cultured and intelligent you are and any mention of medieval Russian politics gets you punched in the face. The fifty pounds you gained from the dinning hall food, beer, and late night Sonics runs gave you high blood pressure and it's so much harder to meet girls without the frat parties. You realize that life is not all it's cracked up to be as you slowly become the poor, jaded welfare case your $200,000 liberal arts education was supposed to keep you from being.

Life.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
+5
-Independence. No more parents.
-Friends that I got to make.
-Classes that challenged me and professors who were a delight.
-Alcohol/ drugs (I do not recommend it, but personally I would not trade my memories of those for anything.)
-memories. From first day at uni to the last.

-STUDENT LOANS
-Very easy to fall into the trap of procrastination.
-The pressure to either socialize or be foreveralone
-Beer belly
-No idea about the future/career even after taking 30+ courses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.