Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread to discuss your favorite words, random interesting verbiage you hear or have read about and/or just an excuse to finally put that thesaurus to good use.

Ex. I was looking for an 'after the rain' candle, but Google recommended I search for petrichor instead.

petrichor: a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

:proud:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ultracrepidarian: Noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside their expertise.
Ataraxia: A state of freedom from emotional disturbance and anxiety.
Agelast: A person who never, ever laughs. (what every INTJ seems like from the outside)
Demagogue: Political leader or orator, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
(Donald Trump)
Laconic: Using few words; expressing much in few words; concise. (100% me)

I keep an actual notebook for words that I like.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
i love the word crapulous, except it doesnt mean any of the extra things that i'd like it to mean. just 'hungover'.

it's kind of like that boyfriend who turns out to be an okay kind of person, but really a disappointment compared with the first expectations you had.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
From the Intj dictionary:

solivagant (səʊˈlɪvəɡənt)

n
a lone wanderer

adj
characterized by lone wandering

deus ex machina (deɪʊs ɛks ˈmakɪnə)
n
an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation

maverick (ˈmav(ə)rɪk)
n
an unorthodox or independent-minded person

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
somnambulistic-- like in a sleep-walk
Shavian--- Related to or in the manner of the playwright George Bernard Shaw. There is also a Shavian alphabet. It seems he was a bit of a Henry Higgins.

I like this thread! Complete with Mitchell and Webb-- my favorites! When I come across some more sesquipedalian words, I'll come back.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my observations by itself are usually mean enough that using mean words to vehiculate them is really unnecessary
Thought vehiculate was a fake word, like 'conversate' but it's real. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not big words but my faves

fucktard- fucking retard
fuckmo- fucking moron
315er- hill billy, redneck- people in my area that live the next county over
I meant for this thread to be big, not necessarily the words themselves. My bad.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I don't like big words, really, but two good French words came up recently that, while I knew, are kind of nice.

mouchard -- a rat, snitch, a surveillance bug (according to one of Baudelaire's rants about Belgium, he was called that often while traveling, and notes that, apparently, in the XVIIIth C, it's the same as a pederast -- no idea if that's true.

parasseux -- a sloth. In one of those unfunny Canadian pinterest comics, some SMS chat between girlfriend and boyfriend "I want to get a sloth as a pet" --"You know, owners come to resemble their pets" "Oh, so you must have a dog, then, amirite?"

salve (Engl) -- my one pun of the day, somewhere else playing a word association game, some noob came in, another guy said "absolution," while greeting the newcomer, and I got to say "salve," which, in addition to being apropos, is of course a Latin way of saying "Hi!"

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thought vehiculate was a fake word, like 'conversate' but it's real. :shocked:
i think is real... e.g. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vehiculate
it comes from the classical latin vehiculum.

Convey is probably better nowadays, at least more used.
that by the way also comes from the latin, but this time the vulgar term meaning the same; convio.

Reactions: ponpiri

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts

Reactions: ponpiri

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
nonplussed
nänˈpləst
adjective
(of a person) surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react.

A state I find others in after I speak sometimes. It's become a game to see how often I can intentionally cause this reaction in certain people.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts