Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love bikes, always have but I only recently got back into it and my bike is currently 1100+km away.

Reasons why bikes are better:

1. Exposure, the feel of wind and sun all over you – not just your upper half.
  2. Space – cars can be too stuffy.
  3. Stress relief – endorphins, of course
  4. The experience of bumps, gravel or smooth road.

5. Taking up the whole lane on a one-lane street when there are cars behind you.

I ride the stereotypical INFP bike, it has a basket, a steel rack, a light and a bell. This is my bike (naked):

Any other bike enthusiasts? Non-INFPs are welcome to respond, too.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
:shocked:

That's horrible! How could you? What happened to you, boy?! I leave for a while and I come back to violence against Unicorns!
I need their precious blood to survive Miss. Plus I like to collect their horns and hides.
But when im not riding my magic carpet I pull out the old green machine and drift around town in style :cool:

·
Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need their precious blood to survive Miss. Plus I like to collect their horns and hides.
But when im not riding my magic carpet I pull out the old green machine and drift around town in style :cool:
I don't need the description of your treachery. You've broken my fragile INFP heart.

By the way... where do you get those magical carpets? Surely not from a Persian Warehouse?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had this for a while. It was every bit as fun as it was loud and ridiculous looking (and beautifully ugly). And probably just a little un-INFP. :p

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Art Car

This one is what I bruise my butt on now. First bike since my mountain bike was stolen when I was 11, can't believe how much fun I forgot it was to get around on a bike. I have a love for vintage bikes and classic looks, but they don't make very good trail bikes. :( I've been wanting to take an abandoned road bike from our storage room at my apartment and fix it up for an in-town ride but I already have 30,602 unfinished projects looming over head..

Land vehicle Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Vehicle

·
Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Galaxies

It's Harry Potter's fault for showing me that unicorn blood is so tasty.

Nah, got it from an antique store on Melbourne Road :)
I didn't know that Melbourne Rd has magical qualities.

Had this for a while. It was every bit as fun as it was loud and ridiculous looking (and beautifully ugly). And probably just a little un-INFP. :p

View attachment 82899

Gosh, it's beautiful. I'd kill for something like this. How long have you had it for?

I have a love for vintage bikes and classic looks, but they don't make very good trail bikes.

View attachment 82900
I love vintage bikes too, they're steady but they definitely can't handle trails like these. I've tried it on a trail, it was so uncomfortable that I had to give up and walk my bike back.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Townie ORIGINAL 7D Bike (Mens) | electra bicycle company I just deleted 3 pics of my bicycle so I had to find a pic of it on the maker's website. Anyway, here's what I ride. I still have my Trek 1400 road bike that I road everywhere for years but this bike is way more comfortable for my old butt now. I got a really nice bike for my wife 4 months ago. She hasn't ridden it yet. Probably never will.

Reactions: Galaxies

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,497 Posts
I love bikes, always have but I only recently got back into it and my bike is currently 1100+km away.

Reasons why bikes are better:

1. Exposure, the feel of wind and sun all over you – not just your upper half.
  2. Space – cars can be too stuffy.
  3. Stress relief – endorphins, of course
  4. The experience of bumps, gravel or smooth road.

5. Taking up the whole lane on a one-lane street when there are cars behind you.

I ride the stereotypical INFP bike, it has a basket, a steel rack, a light and a bell. This is my bike (naked):

Any other bike enthusiasts? Non-INFPs are welcome to respond, too.
I want to put a bumper sticker on my car which reads, "My other car is a Cannondale"
(although Specialized is fine too...:laughing:)

I commute 2 or 3 days a week on the bike when it's warm (I'm in Minnesota.) 34 mile round trip.

I <3 bicycling.

Reactions: Galaxies

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Am I too late to post the Bicycle song by Queen?

Biking is just great though. Nice solitary way to get around and see the areas in town that may be a bit difficult to get to or explore otherwise. That's only one reason, but I enjoy it. Especially now that the humidity should start clearing up here soon down here in the South.

Autumn is the best biking season in my opinion.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It's on my to purchase list. :) It may be something I get for Christmas but to be honest I think I want a dyson vacuum cleaner and steam cleaner first. haha I know... lame but anything that makes it easier to clean since I've tore/dislocated my scapula. It's a stabilizing muscle so even using my other arm and trying to make my upper body stable hurts. Taking pillow cases on and off pillows, ouch. Such a simple task but hurts so bad. :(

Well, I hope you bike enthusiasts know that going on google maps you can press the bike icon and get all the bike trails (the paved ones). I think it's pretty neat and I look at it often. I want to ride at night from time to time. To catch a breeze, some quiet, and a little adventure. I used to run, swim, bike ride regularly during the summers and I felt so strong.

My plan is to get last years bike new at REI outlet. I need to learn more like getting the right size and finding something that works for the type of riding I want to do. I ride motorcycles/dirt bikes so it will be a form of cross training. Not to mention I take so much pride in leg strength.

My dream is to get a bike with a canoe/kayak rack. They have some on wheels that they make in Canada. I thought that would be cool and efficient. I want to paddle under the big piers in Seattle. I want to go on some extensive trips and encounter whales and such.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't know a ton about bikes, but I have a Specialized HardRock from the late 1980's. I think it's 1987 because this one below is identical and is dated 1987.

I don't have any baskets or bells, though I want to get a strap-on bag of some kind. There is an artist that makes these great bike bags in leather but I don't know if I'd want to spend the money.

I got my bike for FREE 16 years ago! My dad knew a cyclist who just had it sitting in their garage. I think the case was that they bought a new bike and didn't want the older model. I was told they spent a lot on it when it was new, but they didn't even try to sell it...they just gave it away! It's just a really good bike overall. It has an aluminum frame so it hasn't rusted and it also cuts down on weight. It's all original except the seat. The seat was really old foam (obviously) and the movers tore a hole in it anyway, so I got a new one.
I've noticed that in recent years more people have been interested in these as vintage bikes and like to fix them up for daily commuting and things like that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gosh, it's beautiful. I'd kill for something like this. How long have you had it for?

Le sigh. I did get tired of people trying to kill me in their cars, and I try to tell myself it all worked out for the better..I had it for about a year, I sold it a couple years ago to pay some bills for my mom. Despite my safe and sound-ness since, I'm still missing it. :-/

I love vintage bikes too, they're steady but they definitely can't handle trails like these. I've tried it on a trail, it was so uncomfortable that I had to give up and walk my bike back.

Haha. :) We have trails like that next to my building at work so sometimes I will spend my lunch break with the trees..I originally got a road bike since I live in the heart of the city but I figured I can ride a mountain bike on the roads, albeit inefficiently, but the opposite might not be so hot..they actually let me trade the bike back in for the mountain bike after I had used it for 3+ weeks! <3 LBS

I am a bike nerd. I like Electra's Ticino, although they are a bit too pricey. I've been holding out to get a used one in good condition.

View attachment 82911

Drool...I love that color too. I am not ashamed to say I love brown.

·
Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to put a bumper sticker on my car which reads, "My other car is a Cannondale"
(although Specialized is fine too...:laughing:)

I commute 2 or 3 days a week on the bike when it's warm (I'm in Minnesota.) 34 mile round trip.

I <3 bicycling.
That is so neat! How long have you been doing it for?

Well, I hope you bike enthusiasts know that going on google maps you can press the bike icon and get all the bike trails (the paved ones). I think it's pretty neat and I look at it often.
Good point! I always forget that.

Autumn is the best biking season in my opinion.

It's not windy in Autumn where you live?

So, bike-riding enthusiasts, how you encourage more people to ride bikes? What do you say to people who use any weather as an excuse?

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,497 Posts
That is so neat! How long have you been doing it for?

So, bike-riding enthusiasts, how you encourage more people to ride bikes? What do you say to people who use any weather as an excuse?
*Blush* *Purrrrrrrrr*

I started biking in earnest maybe 20 years ago; when I lived out on the East Coast. I try to commute to work on my bike
as much as I can. Like you said, there's nothing like the feel of the road and of the wind all over you.

The worst commute was when I worked in Scottsdale, AZ. Have you ever tried biking in 113 degree heat?
It's like the joke about the old man who hit his head with a hammer. They asked him, "But why do you do it?"
He said, "Because it feels so good when I STOP!"

The best bike commute is in Minneapolis. Between the bike trails, the lakes, and the trees, the whole Twin Cities look and feel like a park. It never gets old. It just isn't fair that no matter which direction I'm biking in, the wind shifts to blow right in my face.
How does it *know* ?!! :shocked:

The best way to encourage people to bicycle is to do it yourself, a LOT. People notice and talk among themselves.
The people who use any weather as an excuse, I ask them why they live in Minnesota if they don't like the weather here.
You *do* pretty much have to quit once winter starts, the piles of snow on the side of the road mean there's no room to share with the cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts