Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
La Belle Sauvage, the first book in Philip Pullman’s The Book of Dust Trilogy, has been released. It’s set in the same world as His Dark Materials with some of the same characters, and I’ve been a fan of HDM for years so I was looking forward to this one. Did I enjoy it? Well, it came out on 19th October and I’ve already read it twice. Anyone else read it? What did you think?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
La Belle Sauvage, the first book in Philip Pullman’s The Book of Dust Trilogy, has been released. It’s set in the same world as His Dark Materials with some of the same characters, and I’ve been a fan of HDM for years so I was looking forward to this one. Did I enjoy it? Well, it came out on 19th October and I’ve already read it twice. Anyone else read it? What did you think?
I've only read Northern Lights, I bought the second book sometime ago ... it's somewhere in the junk which I happen to call my room. Btw, is the new book a prequel or a sequel to Lyra's story ?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only read Northern Lights, I bought the second book sometime ago ... it's somewhere in the junk which I happen to call my room. Btw, is the new book a prequel or a sequel to Lyra's story ?
Philip Pullman has said that the trilogy as a whole is not a prequel or a sequel, but an “equel”. This first book is set when Lyra is a baby, but the other two will be about 10 years after the events of HDM.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The next instalment, The Secret Commonwealth is out in October. Looking forward to finding out what Lyra gets up to as an adult.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I really enjoyed HDM and the Belle Sauvage.

I'm looking forward to the BBC adaptation later this year, although I don't want to get my hopes up.

BBC has been hit and miss as of late, but their Narnia series back in the 90s were brilliant, so they make be able to pull this off.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I've read the first book in the companion series, about a year and a half ago. While the exact details are a bit fuzzy to me, I remember enjoying it. The writing quality and world-building were fantastic as always.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts