Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it hard for any of you to see the bright side of things? The positive? I find it hard for myself to do so. I seem to lean toward the negative side of things.

Say for example I head out to take some photos but I don't get anything or they don't turn out the way I want them to do. Instead of saying, "well, I least I got out and had a good time," I end up saying something like, "well, this photo trip was a bust."

Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I actually go into everything with extremely low expectations. I've always been that way. For instance, if I go see a movie with a friend, and they are all excited that the movie is going to be great, I always expect the movie to suck. However, because my expectations are so low, I'm always pleasantly surprised when things turn out better than expected. This attitude applies to most things.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think it comes from a lack of vested interest in a given goal. When we lack genuine interest in something we tend to default to perfectionism in order to see how well we can meet some arbitrary externally suggested metric for quality(for that ever elusive temporary ego boost)

Find something you really care about, and even a failure can be an enjoyable learning experience. For me, the quest continues.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
I wouldn't say that I was an optimist, that is, I don't always anticipate positive results, but, I find negative results just as interesting.

I am intensely interested in what is going to happen next. There is a part of me that just expects any and all possibilities to manifest. Life is most wonderfully strange!! I don't need to always see a "bright side", I just need to see what comes next! No state of being/combination of conditions last forever. What is the point in moping? What is the point in kvelling? Just need more input, more data, more experience, more life!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I actually go into everything with extremely low expectations.
same. defensive pessimism never fails. a friend of mine is amused by the fact that i can see potential disaster in everything (not long ago we were walking together and i described a patch of flowers as looking "particularly allergenic," and he told me i was the only person he knew who would look at pretty flowers and mentally connect them with anaphylaxis), yet maintain an abnormally buoyant, almost quixotic, outlook. it borders on absurdist. i think it's a characteristic shared by all happy atheists.

that film was formative for me. i could watch it every day. suicide squad, attack!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I always try to see both sides. And if I happen to be in a debate, and somebody points out the bad parts, I point out the good parts, and vice-versa.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I also have very low expectations. Extremely low, and I'm willing to put up with a lot more than what most people will before they consider something a bad experience so I don't really have a recollection of many experiences in my mind.

I do have a lot of anxiety, I'm always plotting out worst scenarios but I don't let it get out of had. I don't seem to hang onto bad experiences either. I really forget them about quickly and most of the things I worry about never happen so I come out with a pretty positive outlook.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I always go into things with no expectation at all. If it went well, then fantastic. If it didnt go well, then "oh well, that sucks" and I shrug it off. I think for me, the thing is that I just dont care enough to worry too much about things. Its an advantage and a disadvantage... I dont get disappointed, I see my faults as learning experiences instead. Except when it comes to relationships - friendships, family, significant others... those things I get pessimistic about, but other things are just "oh well, better luck next time" kinda thing

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Sometimes, I get into the bad habit of envisioning an upcoming event being 10x better than it actually does, and that sort of defaults to pessimism afterwards. Ironically, I went with a few friends to a concert of my favorite band we had been planning for 3 months. I had a 'meh' attitude despite the fact I had never seen them live. It was amazing.

(Rise Against, before you ask)

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
I'm going to go with what @downsowf said. My expectations are almost always so low that I'm generally pleasantly surprised, which isn't usually a bad thing to experience. That said, when something does go disastrously wrong, I tend to be the first to point out the morbidly humorous "bright side" of a situation.

If I was a doctor it would be something like, "Well, you may have been a dumbfuck with that stunt you pulled and managed to concuss yourself, but on the bright side, you aren't a vegetable or missing any limbs." (not really that funny, but ... you get the point). (Incidentally, this is part of why I've never seriously considered medical school).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Does the attitude-going-in vary based on the nature of the event? Concert vs. movie vs. school exam vs. date (you initiated) vs. date (s/he initiated)?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is it hard for any of you to see the bright side of things? The positive? I find it hard for myself to do so. I seem to lean toward the negative side of things.

Say for example I head out to take some photos but I don't get anything or they don't turn out the way I want them to do. Instead of saying, "well, I least I got out and had a good time," I end up saying something like, "well, this photo trip was a bust."

Anyone else?
I can see the bright side of things, but unless the good outweighs the bad, I don't want to pay it any attention.

It really depends.
I can be pretty easygoing. If a friend accidentally leads us on a longer route, I'm the one who'd shrug and say "Ah, well...more exercise."
If the train I'm on gets suspended on track for half an hour, I'd think "Meh...more alone time with my music/phone."

But if in both scenarios I was in a hurry or had made plans that were interfered, it'd be difficult to look on the bright side. Heck, I'd be likely to dwell on the injustice of it all and calculate my losses over and over again in my head.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Does the attitude-going-in vary based on the nature of the event? Concert vs. movie vs. school exam vs. date (you initiated) vs. date (s/he initiated)?
I have high expectations on how I expect myself to perform, but I have very low expectations on how I expect the outside world to be.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I say a lot of pessimistic things ... I also say a lot of realistic things. It depends mostly on my mood. But I can usually get to the point where I think and say "it's not so bad".

Reactions: koalaroo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts