Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you voting today? Are you willing to share who you're voting for and why?

What do you think the result will be? Who will work with who in a coalition?

What do you think of the Ad Hominem attacks on Ed Miliband's ability to eat a bacon sandwich?

Are you staying up to watch the results come in tonight? :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a lib dem activist.

Well, that was shit.

*shuts door*

Reactions: ScarlettHayden

·
Registered
689 Posts
Lib-Dems are still planning to pull eight billion pounds out of the air to fund the NHS, which will likely come out of heavy taxing. It was a very tough election - as each party has characteristics good for rebuilding the country and just as many bad ones. Apart from UKIP. Almost everyone hates UKIP. Not bashing UKIP, it's a fact. They've even been denied filming in various public houses because people hate them so much.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As a matter of fact I am curious fro UKIP results, though I am not British. I vote their libertarian allies in my country.
They have one seat in the entirety of parliament. Problem is it's near where I live...

·
Sweet Matrimony.
ENTJ 8w7 so/sx
7,160 Posts
What I don't get is how the polling services have been completely wrong about everything for months :S

At first I thought it was because they had to keep up talk about a hung parliament in order to incite fear in people and keep viewers locked in, but this is an embarrassing turn of events for them all.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh I hadn't spotted - I knew there were some brits on here so I was interested as to what we thought about it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I don't get is how the polling services have been completely wrong about everything for months :S

At first I thought it was because they had to keep up talk about a hung parliament in order to incite fear in people and keep viewers locked in, but this is an embarrassing turn of events for them all.
This I found out this morning. Apparently all the opinion polling had been done online and not in person. A casual glance at twitter or facebook will let you know how online people are far more left-leaning than your average joe in the street and this is possibly where things went horribly wrong. The exit poll was horrifically accurate though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a matter of fact I am curious fro UKIP results, though I am not British. I vote their libertarian allies in my country.
UKIP aren't especially libertarian though they do try to portray the image that they are. They are socially very conservative, for example they are heavily critical of gay marriage where a more libertarian approach would be to live and let live. This is also reflected in their policies towards women where we see them calling for all disabled babies to be aborted etc.

To be fair none of the parties in the UK does well on libertarian scores although the Lib Dems are probably most inclined in that direction.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
UKIP aren't especially libertarian though they do try to portray the image that they are. They are socially very conservative, for example they are heavily critical of gay marriage where a more libertarian approach would be to live and let live. This is also reflected in their policies towards women where we see them calling for all disabled babies to be aborted etc.

To be fair none of the parties in the UK does well on libertarian scores although the Lib Dems are probably most inclined in that direction.
Gay marriage is not really a libertarian issue, and I am not very knowledgeable of internal social policies. From my perspective it's the stance towards foreign policies and EU.
On that matter, UKIP makes more sense as an ally.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can we overanalyze to the point where we start philosophizing about the reality of elections, the mindlessness of the masses, what difference this so-called leader can make over this other leader, compared to the momentum moving within the forces of society, along with capitalist society's dependence upon endless growth, resource exploitation? Society's mindless concerning itself with social issues, self-indulgence, brainwashing, etc?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Can we overanalyze to the point where we start philosophizing about the reality of elections, the mindlessness of the masses, what difference this so-called leader can make over this other leader, compared to the momentum moving within the forces of society, along with capitalist society's dependence upon endless growth, resource exploitation? Society's mindless concerning itself with social issues, self-indulgence, brainwashing, etc?
Can we overanalyze people's attempts to overanalyze current events :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts