Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be concise: What careers can an ENTP survive in and not get bored in?

Differently worded: ENTP's are very here and there. Activity, intellectual activity, is necessary for contentedness. If you are not aware of this issue, you can refer to this thread.

So which jobs would an ENTP be able to sustain himself in long enough for it to become a (lifelong) career?

Careers I am considering:

CIA case officer
Uses foreign language to actively recruit spies. It takes a considerable amount of spontaneity and danger, with plenty of intellectual prowess needed.

Finance or Investment
Fast paced world of do or die. A lot of the summing up needed in the CIA job also applies here. You need to be able to judge a stock or new company well. Also pretty competitive.

Academia
I feel that this might be too boring. But you could do a teaching-heavy college, which would mix research in with a bit of fun.

Doctor
Not sure that I care enough about people to do this one, but some of the careers are very fast-paced. But also the years of school might become too much for the ENTP.

Lawyer
Parents do this one. Seems to be a lot of work, for only a very small amount of time in court. There just seems to be a lot of paper work here.

Park Ranger (?)
Don't really care about money enough to be an investment banker. Park ranger, would be an active but perhaps dull job.

And many many more...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Doctors, there's never a moment where your not learning anything. Studies are only boring if you make them boring. Plus it's going to pay off in the future. Mind you that I'm about 48% J and 52% P.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
To be concise: What careers can an ENTP survive in and not get bored in?

Differently worded: ENTP's are very here and there. Activity, intellectual activity, is necessary for contentedness. If you are not aware of this issue, you can refer to this thread.

So which jobs would an ENTP be able to sustain himself in long enough for it to become a (lifelong) career?

Careers I am considering:

CIA case officer
Uses foreign language to actively recruit spies. It takes a considerable amount of spontaneity and danger, with plenty of intellectual prowess needed.

Finance or Investment
Fast paced world of do or die. A lot of the summing up needed in the CIA job also applies here. You need to be able to judge a stock or new company well. Also pretty competitive.

Academia
I feel that this might be too boring. But you could do a teaching-heavy college, which would mix research in with a bit of fun.

Doctor
Not sure that I care enough about people to do this one, but some of the careers are very fast-paced. But also the years of school might become too much for the ENTP.

Lawyer
Parents do this one. Seems to be a lot of work, for only a very small amount of time in court. There just seems to be a lot of paper work here.

Park Ranger (?)
Don't really care about money enough to be an investment banker. Park ranger, would be an active but perhaps dull job.

And many many more...

I'm glad you didn't include "proofreader" on your list. ;-)

Anyway, I'm convinced any of those jobs could be as boring as one makes it. On the other hand, one could lead a thrilling life as an auditor, rooting out corruption and striking deals with incompetent managers to meet points on their action plans. I'm kinda serious here: Anything can be boring, but by applying principles of mindfulness, almost anything could be exciting, too.

I think ENTP's need to ask themselves how social they want to be. I have found that a big gap exists between the people who find reward in their profession by getting really good at doing some skill vs. those who find reward at making and maintaining relationships with other humans. A really social person could never be happy doing something that didn't allow them to be really sociable among like-minded people, and those with an intense interest in plying their skills always are saddened and distracted by social demands at work. ENTP's probably are universally on the fence about this, because we are the most introverted extroverts there are.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad you didn't include "proofreader" on your list. ;-)

Anyway, I'm convinced any of those jobs could be as boring as one makes it. On the other hand, one could lead a thrilling life as an auditor, rooting out corruption and striking deals with incompetent managers to meet points on their action plans. I'm kinda serious here: Anything can be boring, but by applying principles of mindfulness, almost anything could be exciting, too.

I think ENTP's need to ask themselves how social they want to be. I have found that a big gap exists between the people who find reward in their profession by getting really good at doing some skill vs. those who find reward at making and maintaining relationships with other humans. A really social person could never be happy doing something that didn't allow them to be really sociable among like-minded people, and those with an intense interest in plying their skills always are saddened and distracted by social demands at work. ENTP's probably are universally on the fence about this, because we are the most introverted extroverts there are.
I work a pretty extroverted job right now, and I enjoy it. At times it grates on me, but it still is doable. And my ENTJ friend can provide the contrast you suggest with the skill perfection and relationship maintaining. He loves to perfect any skill be it Juggling, bicycling, etc. and I guess I just am the opposite. But as to your assertion that any job could be exciting... I disagree. There are careers out there that would suck the life out of any ENTP in it. Self-amusement can only take you so far.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts