Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to hear about the city that you all currently live in. I would be interested to hear your observations, what you love about it, your favourite spots, etc.

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I find it remarkable how vast it is and how many different suburbs/areas/ towns it holds. Each one is so distinct. You can be driving through an affluent suburb and 10 minutes later you pass through the poorest communities. Continue and you end up in the artsy areas and further still, you may reach a farming district.

It is gritty, fast-paced and it will break your heart. I absolutely love it! Below are some of my favourite places (used google images as I do not have many pictures):

Hope to post some more later

·
Registered
4,041 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I spent the first 17 years of my life in an unremarkable town in southeastern USA; it's known as "Race City" for its connections to Nascar and is otherwise centered mostly around sports and competition... You can imagine I wasn't happy there, but I made the most of it while I had to then finally got out around 6 months ago.

Now I live in Salem, MA, known for its relevance to the witch trials in the 1600s; it's filled with fellow occultists and similarly alternative folks who're mostly all very open, kind, and honest, which I'm not used to and appreciate more than I could ever express. It's on the ocean and filled with coffee shops (I even recently scored a job at my favorite one), cute cafés, and bookstores/libraries... I'm an atheist, but I've never felt so blessed. :~)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in a suburb of London, which is pretty nice, as it means it's kind of got a rural feel, but it's not too far from the city and you could easily go up there for a day trip. The people here are a bit closed-minded though (right wing, non-liberal) which is a bit annoying to me, but a lot of people are not like this. One of my favourite spots is the roof of our shopping centre because you can see really far in either direction- look right and you'll see London's skyscrapers, look left and you can see the countryside. There are some pretty nice shops you can find locally, too. I don't think I'd want to live here forever, though. I'd probably get bored!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I grew up in and live today in Philadelphia, PA, USA.

I have also lived in Meriden, CT and once visited Dallas/FW, TX and Cape Coral, FL

I live in the northeastern part of Philadelphia which is very residential compared to the downtown areas often shown in photographs on the internet. We have a large and interesting Art Museum. We have a world class zoo and world class science museum (The Franklin Institute). We're a couple hours from the Atlantic seashore.

People in Philadelphia itself are rather closed minded and I suppose I have some of that.

It's great to read about lifestyles and see the pictures from people, who live in other countries of the world, on the forum here. (See other link)

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I work in NYC. Don't believe the hype, it sucks if you aren't rich. Don't come here. But I like the area where I work, which is the part that everyone forgets even exists. It's one of the most quiet and secluded areas of Manhattan, really more like an outer borough.

I live in a town in suburban NJ. There's lots of trees, tons of war memorials, most of the stores are locally owned businesses, and the town puts up decorations for every season and plants flowers in the spring. But on the other hand there's a ton of liquor stores, vape shops, check-cashing places, and empty stores that went out of business. Most towns in NJ are like this, quaint and seedy combined together. I haven't had much of a social life lately for multiple reasons, but most of the people I know from the area are pretty awesome and really chill. The main things that suck about my town are my annoying commute (1 hr 5 minutes each way in the best of conditions; 2+ hours in the worst of conditions), and rent and other things are expensive as fuck ($1500/month for a mediocre one-bedroom apartment).

My town is also relatively close to Jersey City, which is an up-and-coming (read: rapidly gentrifying but not ruined yet) city with a big art scene and tons of events related to that. Most of the people I hang out with are from the Jersey City area and I used to live there.

·
MotM 5/2015 | Bankslayer
13,347 Posts
I live in a really shitty city. There's not much to say about it really. It's ugly. 9/11 was planned here.
We always have troubles with neo Nazi groups and the Mafia.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in Hong Kong. Most people there are sensing(S) and realistic.
Not much about it. Crowded with people, shops, transports...
compared with the non-Hong Kong cities I guess.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
161 Posts
I live in Hong Kong. Most people there are sensing(S) and realistic.
Not much about it. Crowded with people, shops, transports...
compared with the non-Hong Kong cities I guess.
Well,even my city is full of sensing and realistic people,like the majority of the humans in the world,after all.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I was born and raised in Barcelona city, Spain, but when I was 11 my family moved to a small town 20 minutes away from the city (by car) (40 minutes if you take the train). I still live here. I don't know how it happened but I went from loathing this place all thru my teens and early twenties, to loving it now that I'm 30.
It's not the town itself I love, it's the nature that surrounds it. I can't stand the people, but I'm convinced I would dislike people no matter where I lived, so I've made up my mind that people are simply my nightmare and I must exercise patience and tolerance.
What I looooove about this place is... There's a forest where I talk with squirrels every single day, and there are foxes, and lizards, and tons of greens and wild edibles, and decent mountains to go hike, and you can see the sky and I like to lie in bed with windows open every morning for six months out of the year and listen to the birds in the trees right in front of my window. This didn't happen in the city. I love that there are magpies everywhere! For some reason, magpies don't live in the cities in this country, I wonder why... whenever I travel to Northern Europe, cities are full of the corvidae family *confused* Why not here?
Anywaysies. I like how life is slow in this town, which doesn't happen in the city.
The bad side of living here is that I waste a ton of time & money in public transportation that doesn't even work well :/ But I'm willing to sacrifice that in exchange of nature and slow life.

I just love being able to forage for fruits and greens, and see the wide sky, and how non-crowded this place is. This town doesn't have a bookstore, or a cinema, but I wouldn't trade those for dear nature ever!

Barcelona:
Building Architecture Landmark Property Urban area Alley Street Road Town Infrastructure Building Architecture Facade Property Balcony Neighbourhood Street Town Alley Road
Alley Light Street Lighting Architecture

I won't post about my town because... dunno makes me nervous :S You can imagine it tho just by looking at the pics of the city, specially numbers 2 and 4. Architechture is very similar, typical Mediterranean, with Roman foundations. Buildings aren't tall, and streets are super narrow and there's cobblestones and trees and flowers and I get to shop from small business & the farmer's market on the weekends. There's no H&M or Zara or that sort of corporation mass-consumption vibe here. Love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts