Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am working full-time as a User Experience Architect/Designer. After finishing high school around a year ago, I joined a big startup here in India. Earlier, I had planned to take up this field academically as well. I started doing freelance design work 2009/2010. But, I got bored of it quickly. All problems seem too easy and/or poorly defined.

College is something I wasn't initially planning to go for — huge costs, and not enough incentive for me as I already am working full-time and know what I need to know to advance in the field of UX. I do, however, maintain many interests like most type 5's — psychology, philosophy, maths, and computer science, among others. I might take a SAT sometime soon. I was aiming for US initially but my high school grades were low, and education is way too costly over there. I don't want to live in debt.

Most of my time goes to my full-time job. Whatever remains of the 24 hours is distributed very unevenly between learning and sleeping. I buy a lot of books, and lose interest after reading somewhere around 25% of any. Also, I don't know if it is a common problem, but I have trouble retaining the specifics of what I read and hear. I can recall the concepts at a very abstract level easily, but I keep forgetting names and details all the time. Does anyone else suffer the same? As much as I love theory, I have difficulty learning purely by abstractions.

My sleep schedule is messed up. I go to sleep near dawn and wake up before noon.

After typing this, I am inclined to think we should have a book recommendation thread for people like ourselves. I have observed from the INTP forums that people with 5wx tend to have very similar patterns in what they prefer to read, how they synthesise it, and form models of it.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
@SpectrumOfThought I also have the abstract/nonspecific memory problem, which was very unhelpful as an academic/teacher. Stressful, in fact. And I share the book pattern, i.e., buy, read part, drift away. Especially nonfiction. I often find myself irritated with the mode of presentation, organization of information, or some other facet of the narrative. It can feel like trying to glean information from a well-informed but irritating interlocutor: potentially insightful but reliably laborious. So I put the book aside 'temporarily' with the intention of returning to it.... Honestly in my case it can be a form of intellectual laziness, and also, strangely, a form of antisocial behavior. If the author has an annoying persona/intellect, reading takes on the character of an extended argument with someone I'm not sure I wish to be talking to in the first place. So I will put aside the book as a way of pushing that voice out of my headspace. That is more INFP than INTP, perhaps. I'm less apt to be bored, and more apt to be annoyed with what I'm reading. Perhaps if this book thread idea takes off it should be restricted to the books one manages to finish!

·
Registered
710 Posts
When I was younger (10-15) I've read a lot of fantasy books. I think my record was harry potter 5 (more than 1000 pages) which I read in 3 days (31 hours). I was such a bookworm. But today I'm only reading non-fiction (if I read at all) and most of the time I don't even finish reading it... Don't know what happened.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Would like to hear more from you all ^^ How much can you relate to my last paragraph. And how do you differ?
I identify with a lot of what you wrote, except for the not expressing part - I am awful at hiding emotions. I'm also more aggressive than passive-aggressive, especially if it is worth it to get what I want, though I avoid all unnecessary conflicts. Your tritype is probably the same as mine though I don't know what the order is. Fear of failure, huh? Scary, isn't it? I know there are many things that I gave up on before starting because I was so afraid of failure. Oh well, no point in remorse.

I'm not sure how much I believe in tritype theory though or even the enneagram itself. It seems that we all have all these basic fears and aspirations; it's just part of being human. Maybe it's the degree of these fears/aspirations that determine the type.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Oh right...I forgot to answer the main question of the thread. Excuse my absentmindedness.

What do I do with my life? I waste a ton of time on the internet and reading books that have nothing to do with my career. I also like to go outdoors and travel. I'm lonely but get bored of people easily, and have hard time being attracted people and am annoyed when people think I'm homosexual. I got a STEM degree. Got bored of industry and went back to grad school. Now I realize that there are no jobs in academia. My life in a nutshell.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I identify with a lot of what you wrote, except for the not expressing part - I am awful at hiding emotions. I'm also more aggressive than passive-aggressive, especially if it is worth it to get what I want, though I avoid all unnecessary conflicts. Your tritype is probably the same as mine though I don't know what the order is. Fear of failure, huh? Scary, isn't it? I know there are many things that I gave up on before starting because I was so afraid of failure. Oh well, no point in remorse.

I'm not sure how much I believe in tritype theory though or even the enneagram itself. It seems that we all have all these basic fears and aspirations; it's just part of being human. Maybe it's the degree of these fears/aspirations that determine the type.
So you're perhaps 9w8 instead of 9w1 or even 8w9 or 8w7?

I have this "afraid of failure and giving up before starting" all the time. Even now. I have to do so much for tomorrow that I'm not sure if I will succeed. That's really an virtuous circle. Fear of failure -> don't do anything -> almost failure -> usually rescue in the last minutes or even failure -> more fear of failure the next time. I'm kind of paralyzed in this state.

I have this especially before exams so that I dont learn enough or if I have to make important decisions or just in my everyday life when I have much to do which seems to be impossible at first.

Well I should start to do something now... otherwise I'll fail today.. thanks for reminding me that I have to start... I was just procrastinating ^^
Actually I wanted to write an long answer about the enneagram... to keep it short:

Everyone has every type in themselves. You can see it as 9 different lenses you can look through. One type is usually stronger than all the other. This type was reinforced in your childhood, it was and still is your way of surviving against this "imperfect" world. This is your fixation you're in which you have to solve (if you want). It shows you which problems (deep fears and so on) you have in your life and how to solve them.
If you're a very well developed person you're not longer a "prisoner" of your type. (read about levels of developement and personal growth: How the Enneagram Personality System Works)

It's actually also very spiritual / esoteric. The spiritual goal is to be your true "essence" again, to see what you really are. Very rarely people reach this goal though, so it's not easy to describe what we actually are ^^ It reminds me a bit of meditation. They say if you meditate for a very long time (years and so on) you get enlightment. Think of Buddha and so on. (more: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/spirituality.asp#.VA_lumN-_IU)

I'm not very esoteric (although I find it interesting to learn about it)
Enneagram helps me a lot to discover basic fears and desires and also to see why other people are different. However I'm never really in the state where I think I could solve this "fixation" because I identify so much with it. And who knows if life is really about becoming a "better" person who looks through all lenses. I'm so nihilistic ^^ typical 5...

EDIT: Tritype is a very new theory. It tells you that you also use other types. They influence your core type because not every 5 is equal^^.

... why keep I procrastinating... I should really start now... :( this will be such an awful day... I would rather keep writing about the enneagram^^

·
Banned
512 Posts
Edit: Sorry...glitch in phone app. Didn't want to repost so I'm just going to edit this one.
@Draki -
I'm pretty sure that I'm 5w4 sx/sp, assuming that enneagram and MBTI are compatible with one another (most INTPs are type 5 anyway). Though a friend of mine claims to get a carefree 9w1 vibe from me. It took me much effort, failure, and even trauma to change as a person - to be more assertive, more in touch with myself and others, being able to do things in a non-chaotic systematic manner, etc.

I didn't mean to disparage the enneagram or anything, but the truth is that it's more of a spiritual thing than a scientific thing, and being trained in science, I'm naturally skeptical of non-scientific things. But I cannot deny that discovering enneagram has catalyzed my personal growth. It helped brought some of my subconscious fears (fear of failure, fear of losing oneself, fear of conflict) and weaknesses (avoidant personality, compulsive perfectionism, etc.) to the surface and gave me a direction upon which to improve myself.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I'm a 451 (1w9). The 459 descriptions sound more accurate for me, especially the 459 description from the Fauvre's video. However, I know the 1 is stronger than the 9. I am horrible at time management- I don't see time as being chronological, but more as an endless weave of existence. I haven't figured out what I want to do with my life (I was a film major in college but I write fiction, poetry, take pictures, make art), and I'm approaching middle age (but not- see the prior sentence) I still feel like I'm four, eighteen, twenty-five, all at once. I spend a lot of time just... contemplating, watching birds, hanging out with my cats, etc. But I have strong opinions and a solid ethical core. That's why I say one over nine.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Edit: Sorry...glitch in phone app. Didn't want to repost so I'm just going to edit this one.
@Draki -
I'm pretty sure that I'm 5w4 sx/sp, assuming that enneagram and MBTI are compatible with one another (most INTPs are type 5 anyway). Though a friend of mine claims to get a carefree 9w1 vibe from me. It took me much effort, failure, and even trauma to change as a person - to be more assertive, more in touch with myself and others, being able to do things in a non-chaotic systematic manner, etc.

I didn't mean to disparage the enneagram or anything, but the truth is that it's more of a spiritual thing than a scientific thing, and being trained in science, I'm naturally skeptical of non-scientific things. But I cannot deny that discovering enneagram has catalyzed my personal growth. It helped brought some of my subconscious fears (fear of failure, fear of losing oneself, fear of conflict) and weaknesses (avoidant personality, compulsive perfectionism, etc.) to the surface and gave me a direction upon which to improve myself.
Yeah I wanted to say you're perhaps a 5-9w8-4 or 549w8 tritype. Because of the aggressive > passive agressiv.

I'm a 451 (1w9). The 459 descriptions sound more accurate for me, especially the 459 description from the Fauvre's video. However, I know the 1 is stronger than the 9. I am horrible at time management- I don't see time as being chronological, but more as an endless weave of existence. I haven't figured out what I want to do with my life (I was a film major in college but I write fiction, poetry, take pictures, make art), and I'm approaching middle age (but not- see the prior sentence) I still feel like I'm four, eighteen, twenty-five, all at once. I spend a lot of time just... contemplating, watching birds, hanging out with my cats, etc. But I have strong opinions and a solid ethical core. That's why I say one over nine.
oh there is a 459 video from the Fauvres? Do you have a link?^^ Never saw it..

For 1 versus 9 there was something in the 459 description like you could see when a 451 is angry (prickly energy) while the 9 is more avoidant and hiding anger.

here it is:

Both the 451 and 459 are reserved and introspective and self conscious. The 451 is very critical of themselves and others.They are very particular and have a lot of shoulds. They can be strident. Dissatisfaction is visible as their energy can be prickly. The 459 is more reserved and passive. They wait to be included. They are approachable but hope that others will come towards them. They are quiet in their demeanor. They project a sense of stillness. Their energy is soft and yielding. Dissatisfaction is hidden like in the 479.
source: http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/73452-27-tritype-archetype-descriptions.html#post1808396

I also have strong oppinions and you know what? 9's can be extremly stubborn. My father is a 9w1 and we're both very stubborn.
You could also feel "ethical" because your dominant function is Fi.

Not sure what exactly is the core fear and desire of 1's so I can't really help you with this ^^

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
Yeah I wanted to say you're perhaps a 5-9w8-4 or 549w8 tritype. Because of the aggressive > passive agressiv.

oh there is a 459 video from the Fauvres? Do you have a link?^^ Never saw it..

For 1 versus 9 there was something in the 459 description like you could see when a 451 is angry (prickly energy) while the 9 is more avoidant and hiding anger.

here it is:

source: http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/73452-27-tritype-archetype-descriptions.html#post1808396

I also have strong oppinions and you know what? 9's can be extremly stubborn. My father is a 9w1 and we're both very stubborn.
You could also feel "ethical" because your dominant function is Fi.

Not sure what exactly is the core fear and desire of 1's so I can't really help you with this ^^

Yes, the one fits me better also because of that. I don't remember if they talk about that in the video or not.

I wasn't looking to be typed- I know what mine is- I was just saying that I relate to a lot in the 459 despite being 451.

The video for 459 used to be up here but it got taken down, unfortunately :( I do have access to it, though. Just watched it again and I relate to it SO WELL. It's annoying.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
@sodden We sound very similar. Having also not yet figured out what I want to do with my life (and definitely at middle age) ... I wonder, do you feel pressure about this from acquaintances? I find the "and what do you do" conversation can be quite stressful. Especially because I was an academic, and my husband is a very very successful academic, so I tend to have a lot of social engagement with people who are totally identified with their professions, and regard someone like me as an inscrutable alien. The worst is when people feel compelled to offer career advice/suggestions. I understand that it's a natural topic for small talk, but I haven't figured out to answer the question in a way that is honest and yet not too personal. I feel disappointed with some features of my life, but not ashamed of them. Still, I don't necessarily want to get into my personal angst and ruminations with a random person trying to chitchat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
4w5 5w6 9w1 sx/sp INFP here

This thread is awesome guys.

What have I done with my life.... well, productive or leisurely learning for the hell of it? Mostly I just sit around getting myself into a subject then the next day, I'll start something completely new until that spark lights up for that previous thing again. I think its fair to say that I've never finished anything in my life. New projects always start with 90% thinking and procrastinating because of never knowing when to stop thinking, and the 10% comes from actually starting physically on the project without knowing when to finish it.

I have a ridiculously wide list of intrests. Basically anything that sparks my curiousity even the slightest will be obssessed over. Music, reading, writing, animation, programming, languages, cultures, philosophy, etc Whatever you can think of, I've already obssessed over in my head. No physical tasks will ever grab my attention for more than 30 seconds though. Cooking, cleaning, driving etc don't stimulate my intrests so its hard for me to engage in those activities whole heartedly. Even though some people find them as a gateway to zoning out and thinking, I feel like they're a distraction from my thoughts.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No way! I have exact same enneagram tritype, except I'm an INFJ. Man, I totally know where you're coming from. I feel like I'm daydreaming my way through high school right now. I don't even know how I get good grades!! I barely listen. It's like I'm on another galactic planet most of the time. I don't feel like I'm really living life sometimes. Other people seem so much more energetic and gung-ho than I am, and I'm happy for them, but sometimes I wish I was like that. It's scary because I feel like I'm missing out on something, but I don't know what.

But seriously, I am so dreamy and forgetful that it's actually kind of pathetic. I'll lose something, look around for it for three minutes, only to discover that it was right next to me the whole time. I can also entertain myself in my head for hours, if I'm in the right mind set. But that's not really healthy, is it? I'm dreading having to go out into the real world, where I actually have to be practical 24/7. :bored:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
We think, feel, and ponder things deeply. Then repeat the cycle. Our strengths are our ability to look inward, see deeper meanings in things, so beyond the surface. We pursue our interests deeply and intensely. Our weaknesses are that we don't get out much, we're too wrapped up in ourselves, we aren't spending our time productively enough- in the eyes of the external world. We want to feel significant yet feel overlooked because we do things quietly, we aren't out there tooting our horns. Sometimes people think we're just passive people, indifferent to things because we are so internal but that it so wrong about us. We have existential anxiety. We feel we should be doing more productive things out in the world and wonder about our significance because we feel like we haven't accomplished enough in the external world.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Someone mentioned starting a chat group...I can start a group on Skype. PM me if you want an invite. I can try to start something. My Skype is getting a bit quiet lately...

I'm not sure if I'm 549 or 594 or 541 or 451 but close enough. You guys seem like an interesting bunch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm not too sure if this changes anything, but I have researched and reflected upon my instinctual variants quite a bit and I believe my stacking is sx/so/sp. Now this stacking makes no sense when coupled with 459. I could possibly see myself fitting into the 479 tritype, would anybody be able to shed some light on this topic or any opinions on the main discrepancies between 479 and 459 and what the sx/so stacking could make either of these look like?

·
Registered
710 Posts
so read up on the differences between 5 and 7 :p They are quiet different.

• Type Seven-Type Five
These types are seldom mistyped for one another, but they do have some similarities. Fives and Sevens are also both Thinking types. They are both highly curious, exploratory, and willing to try new ways of doing things. Both types also have a propensity to collect things and to be high strung. They are quite different emotionally and in their characteristic preoccupations and avoidances.
Fives tend to be more socially isolated and withdrawn, spending long hours alone working on their projects, reading, listening to music, and so forth. Fives prefer cerebral entertainment. Sevens are highly gregarious, and like to stay active. They enjoy a good read too, but get impatient with sitting around for extended periods of time. The gift of the Five is intense focus and concentration. The gift of the Seven is breadth of vision and synthesis. Sevens are also the optimists of the Enneagram, seeing the positive side of most things and wanting to avoid topics that get too dark, painful, or heavy. Fives are almost the opposite, seeing optimism as unrealistic and being drawn to the dark, the macabre, and the nihilistic side of life.
Of course, Fives can resemble Sevens when they are under increased stress and moving in their Direction of Disintegration. At such times, they can become distracted and scattered like average Sevens. But as soon as the stressful situation is relieved, they will return to their more focused, withdrawn ways.
Contrast Fives like Gary Larson with Sevens like Robin Williams.
source: http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/8089-type-seven-misidentifications.html#post177702

or read this:
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/73452-27-tritype-archetype-descriptions.html#post1808407

Thanks @inbi for organizing, did you already have a conversation with someone?

·
Banned
512 Posts
Thanks @inbi for organizing, did you already have a conversation with someone?
Yeah. It's an ongoing chat(room) that's a hybrid between a message board and live chat since there's only a few people and we tend to not be online at the same time. If anyone still wants to join, just PM me.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts