Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this very interesting article. It's about how in every personality disorder there is this "core of truth". For instance, a person extremely obsessed about hand-washing actually has a certain, should I say heightened?, awareness about the germs/bacteria that may lurk in their hands - more so than the average person. Common sense would tell us that it is impossible to remove all microorganisms in our hands simply by washing, but most of us prefer to just turn a blind eye to this fact, the easiest way to keep us functioning in a manner viewed as acceptable in the society.

I'm not pasting it here because I don't want to infringe any copyright issue, but you can find it if you click here.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think we are delusional to an extent?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
My understanding of habitual disorders are that they're a reaction to an underlying repressed emotional issue. It's logically safe to think that hand washing is strictly related to cleanliness but ....there can be a number of causes that lead to the disorder.
I'd say more often than not that truth is subjective, there are too many variables that can effect an outcome to have a fixed answer or truth. We are all so similar and live and function together quite well, yet experience and view things so differently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts