Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A study of ‘highly creative’ people yielded these traits:
  • A great deal of physical energy alternating with a great need for quiet and rest.
  • Highly sexual, yet often celibate, especially when working.
  • Smart and naïve at the same time. A mix of wisdom and childishness. Emotional immaturity along with the deepest insights.
  • Convergent (rational, left brain, sound judgment) and divergent (intuitive, right brain, visionary) thinking…
  • Both extroverted and introverted, needing people and solitude equally.
  • Humble and proud, both painfully self-doubting and wildly self-confident.
  • May defy gender stereotypes, and are likely to have not only the strengths of their own gender but those of the other as well. A kind of psychic androgyny.
I identify with all of these, in some ways. Do you?
I thought the ‘psychic androgyny’ one was the most interesting, probably just stemming from the fact that highly intelligent, creative people are more likely to be more individualistic and less tied to societal expectations. Or maybe it has to do with the supposed bi-hemispherical thinking (men are supposed to be more left-brained, women more right-brained). For myself, I don’t think this is that much the case, although when I was younger, I enjoyed talking to girls more than other guys, to the point that I only had a few male friends. I told myself that was because girls were brighter and more mature, but I suspect it may have just been because boobs.

Anyway, here’s the link: The Complexity of the Creative Personality | The Creative Mind

2,427 Posts
I'm not an ENTP (though I've been accused of being one because of my face use here :crazy::crazy::crazy:), but I've always been told that I'm "highly creative" and this list does apply to me a great deal.

• A great deal of physical energy alternating with a great need for quiet and rest.

Check. When I'm in social situations, I'm like a manic person hopped up on crack. :laughing: However I also have a great need for quiet alone time.

Some people here think I'm a pervert.... There could be some truth in that. :blushed::blushed::blushed: But yes, I can ignore all needs, not just sexual, but also the need for food and things like that, when I'm focused on something.

• Smart and naïve at the same time. A mix of wisdom and childishness. Emotional immaturity along with the deepest insights.

The reason that I know something is inappropriate is because I've literally said nearly every inappropriate thing imaginable at one point or another and had to have somebody tell me that it was inappropriate. :laughing: I do love learning new things, and I do have childlike enthusiasm and curiosity. I'm emotionally retarded, for lack of a better word, and at the same time there is a lot more to me than I normally show people.

• Convergent (rational, left brain, sound judgment) and divergent (intuitive, right brain, visionary) thinking…

I've always said that I'm both.

• Both extroverted and introverted, needing people and solitude equally.

I wouldn't say equally. I definitely like my alone time more than being around other people. Hell, I'd say the ratio is 10 to 1. But there are times where I really enjoy being around other people.

• Humble and proud, both painfully self-doubting and wildly self-confident.
If I were self-doubting, I would never admit to such a weakness. :tongue: But yes, this one is accurate too.

• May defy gender stereotypes, and are likely to have not only the strengths of their own gender but those of the other as well. A kind of psychic androgyny.

I don't defy gender stereotypes at all, at least I don't think so. I would say that I have some "female strengths" though, but I'm as masculine as can be. Just not in a "Hey dudes, let's watch NASCAR and drink beer!" kinda way.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I identify with all those characteristics.

There was an article about a year ago in Scientific American for the Mind about creative eccentrics. The article suggested that the source of creativity/eccentricity was having access to unconscious contents which they called cognitive dis-inhibition or the unfiltered mind. I believe this to be associated with the intuitive functions.

In either case, I scored so many characteristics on their quiz to be considered both highly creative and eccentric. I found that entertaining.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
These all seem very similar to cold reading quotes....they seem to have been worded so like 90% of people will agree with them, just like any psychic would use to make someone feel happy about themselves..........

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
When I'm not working on a creative project or not being energized by the enthusiasm that fueled me in the beginning, I like to grab myself into leisure activities such as playing video games with friends or watching videos. But if I get a hold of the familiar enthusiasm and launch myself at the project (such as modding Skyrim by creating dungeons (you should check it out (search Den of Vuspyre into Google (you'll find tons of results)))), then yeah -- all those qualities are apparent in such situations. However, I must say that creativity doesn't necessarily equate personality type.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
These all seem very similar to cold reading quotes....they seem to have been worded so like 90% of people will agree with them, just like any psychic would use to make someone feel happy about themselves..........
Yep, no bias anywhere.
It's either an awesome speech, or a clever ploy.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Sounds like a horoscope to me, but then I think a lot of people would ignore the androgyny. I know I'm a bit "androgynous", but only because I acknowledge things like thinking being a stay-at home dad would be fun and that I like to cook (because I like to eat good food), etc. The androgyny may be legitimate for people who look at things out of context, which requires analytic thinking.

As for the "left-brain/right brain" that is 100% nonsense bullshit. There is no association between functions and hemispeheres of peoples' brains.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Is it too late to jump on the "sounds just like me" bandwagon after BS has been called? Probably, but I don't care. It sounds just like me. And I am full of shit most of the time, so I guess that sounds like me too.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Is it too late to jump on the "sounds just like me" bandwagon after BS has been called? Probably, but I don't care. It sounds just like me. And I am full of shit most of the time, so I guess that sounds like me too.
I'm sure we could come up with something worse to be full of.
Just off the top of my head:
Someone else's shit
Forgotten medical appliances
An Alien embryo that wants to destroy earth
Parasites on the brain

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This is quite true

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm on!
Creativity is powerfull! And little bit weird sometime.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Those traits seem very vague to me! I could be introverted or extroverted, sensing or intuitive and relate to those :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
All of that is me. (Down to the psychic androgyny - I don't see why I should either conform or react against gender stereotypes.)

The ploy is working. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts