Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After more than 20 years of believing I am INTP, I finally understand that that is a mistype and just learned that ENTP is more accurate.
What troubles me now is not the accuracy of tests but rather that, eventhough I understand the relativity of type, the test proved to be some sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. Knowing my test result encouraged introverted behaviour with me. Learning more about what INTP is, turned me into one. Not really of course, but in such a way that convinced me that really was me.
Now I understand how this mistyping proved to be a burden. It seems that I have lost a lot of time, and a lot of time to understand and see who I really am. And even when you get the "correct" type result, knowing this will probably change you. We think we understand ourselves better, but the opposite might be true.
Any of you who have had similar experiences? Or any thoughts on this?

Registered
When I first got into mbti at the time I was going thru depression. Originally I typed as INTP. It's not that weird when you consider depressed people are ambivalent to everything a lot. Then enough forum members told me I was more likely ISTP. Well they are both still TPs. No I don't think I was acting more introverted because of what I typed. I think I was typing introverted because I was super depressed and sort of in life crisis etc as far as being far more susceptible to answer questions that were very anti social leaning. I still struggled for a little while with ESTP mainly because socially I am definitely more ambiverted but reserved. But then after really reflecting on my whole life and not just where I was then I was like yeah of course I was an ESTP child. I was almost the poster for an ESTP delinquent child (that whole frat jock thing not so much).

I have had forum members suggest other things though. I am open to suggestions. I truly do think I am ESTP though. Despite having some pretty high Fe bursts at times. A lot of people mistake high Ti as intuition and I think that was also a contributing factor to my mistaking myself as NTP for a while because I tossed around NTP vs STP originally it was confusing. I do not actually think I am Ne though. I do think I am Se.

As far as the debate over dom and aux position. Mine are close. I think my enny and life experiences as well as age reflect on why I seem tamer than descriptions of some ESTP (I used to be wild as fuck though just tamed now). Would have been voted most likely to die of an over dose, now more like most likely to do a 180. when I really look at women who are 30+ who are famous typed as ESTP I have a very similar demeanor to the ones over 30. When I say this I only mean how ridiculous she behaved in contrast to now older I do resemble Angelina Jolie in many ways of demeanor and aging (people have even likened me to her). Nope not actually a fan. She always annoys me :laughing: watching her in interviews. It's almost like wanting to vomit on ones self and a mirror held too high as far as how self righteous she can come off. When I watch her I am just like ugh rolls eyes. Anyways she used to be ridiculous when she was young and she contrasted that quite a lot as she aged was more so what I meant. I was also ridiculous young. As far as obscenity is more so what I mean. Uh I don't think I would adopt a ton of children to contribute to the world (I don't relate to that).

Registered
I've had a similar experience, except the change was slightly more drastic. I was very off the mark with my type, probably due to the reasons surrounding my mistype. In fact, looking back, I wonder how I could've made such a massive mistake. But it's easy to convince yourself and justify behaviour that doesn't align with your given type - because "everyone's an individual," right?

If you think about it, MBTI is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You answer the test based on your perception of yourself. As your perception changes, so will your answers. And your behaviour will probably change alongside it. It's not uncommon for humans to want some consistency, and behave in ways that align with their beliefs about themselves - in this case, performing according to our MBTI classification.

For example, I was almost constantly exhausted and uninspired by the thought of human interaction, which I attributed to introversion. In reality, I was drained because I was alone, not in spite of it. Despite the fact I always felt better after hanging out with others, I ignored this information because it didn't fit the typical characteristics of my MBTI-label.

I'm a little more cautious, now. Even this skin hasn't quite settled yet. I'm a little in denial and questioning whether I've found something suitable this time.

Banned
Yes. I thought i was infp. Mistyped lol. XD i grew up believing it's okay to be a bitch lol xD and be introvert. XD

Because i really believed i was an introvert.. So i tried doing introvert stuffs and just Forget about socialization in general.

But i just became depressed. That's all it gave. I'm happy now with my new type - STFU

Registered
I've never settled to this day. At least not 100%. Always more reasons why I might not 100% fit.

However. I will list off what I've went through. Suggestions.

INTJ (supposed Ni vibes, thinking about meaning of the universe including mid-life crisis was supposedly an indicator), ISTP(Ti logic systems), INTP(Ti logic systems, still more serious than a lot of entp's), ENTP(Ne-Fe wanting to share ideas and humor)

I'm thinking about just making a stupid post on what my type is, sometime. But I'm lazy. If anyone will care. I'm still kind of a stranger here..

Registered
ISTJ
Yes, that's why when people score INxJ they''ll start to think they have telekinesis and will Carrie the shit out of people at their next social event :p

Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
Mistypes can be difficult and there are certain types that are bound to question their type sooner or later. That can be really difficult and studying the new type you think you probably are with you in mind can change your perspective on yourself. This type of change can be very hard to sink in.

It can lead to somewhat of an identity crisis (that is, if you identify so much with one type but realize you might be another type.) I know I would have to restrain myself from becoming defensive if someone told me that I was completely mistyped. One letter, I could live with and understand where the person was coming from but any more than that, it would make me wonder how my self image could possibly be so wrong. I find a lot of comfort in reading relatable posts from similar people and a lot of other people do as well. I sometimes have thoughts about people being mistyped but I choose not to say anything because I don't wish that upon them. I sometimes question my type. INFJ seems pretty accurate for me but sometimes, there are times I question my type. I know for sure I am an introvert and intuitive. Some days I am completely positive I am an INFJ but others, the only thing I can be sure of is INxx.

Reactions: grmpf

Registered
After more than 20 years of believing I am INTP, I finally understand that that is a mistype and just learned that ENTP is more accurate.
What troubles me now is not the accuracy of tests but rather that, eventhough I understand the relativity of type, the test proved to be some sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. Knowing my test result encouraged introverted behaviour with me. Learning more about what INTP is, turned me into one. Not really of course, but in such a way that convinced me that really was me.
Now I understand how this mistyping proved to be a burden. It seems that I have lost a lot of time, and a lot of time to understand and see who I really am. And even when you get the "correct" type result, knowing this will probably change you. We think we understand ourselves better, but the opposite might be true.
Any of you who have had similar experiences? Or any thoughts on this?
Ouch! Yep, been there done that. I was first introduced by some friends trying to type me (they landed on ENFP). So I read the description and related to a few parts, but concluded that it wasn鈥檛 accurate enough.

-Skip forward a week or so-

I had tested as six different types on three different tests and none of them seemed to fit (I honestly just didn鈥檛 know myself well enough for Myers Briggs at the time). I was just about done with the whole thing but then, on one late night, I tested as ESFP. I read through it, thought 鈥渃lose enough,鈥 and stuck with it for about a year or so.

So yeah, I gravitated towards that type more and subconsciously tried acting more like it. Eventually I dun burnt out and coworkers started saying, 鈥淵eah... there鈥檚 no way your an extrovert.鈥 Felt kind of sucky.

Anyway, all of that to say that I do relate, and have been through the same thing. It鈥檚 kind of weird how that happens, but if you look closely enough you can see it happening in the people around you as well. I鈥檓 guessing that the reason it happens is because one is seeking to be understood, to be validated in their actions (or otherwise (if there is an otherwise)), to be a part, or all three. Ironically, working towards becoming more like the stereotype for tour assumed type jeopardizes all three. But that鈥檚 just speculation on my part.

Registered
The curse happens when you believe and act according to what a test said. It's a test result, not real life.

"Oh I'm an ESTJ, that means I must be managing all the stuff"
"I'm an ESFP, I must be highly personal and loud and LOVE socializing."
"I'm an INFJ... I'll go sit in the corner and look for people in need."
"I'm ISTP! I can't feel deeply about cats and children!!"
etc

Do not put more mental barriers on yourself than you already have. It's stupid.

Banned
The curse happens when you believe and act according to what a test said. It's a test result, not real life.
True, however since it's a psychological test that deems itself to be thorough and assigns results into very distinct categories, it starts feeling extremely personal. Infects you like T-virus, and thereafter transforms you into a zombie.

Registered
Your experience has no inherent connection to mistyping. It's trying to be something you are not that is the problem. Mistyping doesn't force anyone to try and act out a type.

Reactions: Turi

Banned
Oh god. I鈥檝e been through almost every introvert type, and ESTx. Some were longer than others, and the biggest contenders for my actual type have always been INTJ, ISTJ, ISTP, and ISFP. I鈥檝e thrown typing by dichotomy and online personality tests out the window because I know that method is inaccurate. But for me, cognitive functions seem really vague and I can relate to several even if they are contradictory. I鈥檝e settled on the fact that I am likely Se/Ni or Ni/Se even though I still identify with much of the Si descriptions. Ti/Fe versus Fi/Te is much more complicated for me. I was settled on ISTP for a while but tertiary Fi resonates with me much more than inferior Fe. I think I鈥檓 INTJ right now except I don鈥檛 have a good grasp on what Ni is. However, the confusion I've been through, from what I perceive of myself, does not affect the way I act, and I do not find it to be a waste of time because this process allows me to learn about myself. I do not feel as though I have to act a certain way based on type descriptions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts