Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An ENFJ friend just posted a link to this article on FB and stated "Shockingly accurate description of my hell":
The Definition Of Hell For Each Myers-Briggs Personality Type

I don't agree with the INTJ definition of hell at all:
Every time you open your mouth to say something intelligent, something entirely idiotic comes out instead.
It's not like that never happens. As a matter of fact, it happens quite often, but probably not in the same way as the author thinks. I'm pretty much used to frogs jumping out of my mouth at a reliable frequency. I've just learned to deal with it and move on.

Personally, I think that interacting with emotionally volatile people is pretty hellish. Having to work with people who are serial talkers, people who can't listen to others than themselves, people who don't focus on work but seems to view the office/lab as some sort of garden party where they and their colleagues are there to mingle and exchange gossip and pleasantries instead of getting stuff done.

I have the immense displeasure to deal with a colleague who places very well in this category and I'm quickly getting to the breaking point. I actually told her that "I can't do this anymore" and walked off from her yesterday and guess what - she followed me to my office!!!! And then I got to listen to another one of her monologues for 45 minutes - I am not exaggerating. Just leave me the hell alone! Don't you have some other place you need to be?

Input from other INTJs? What is your definition of hell? Do you agree with the quote above or do you think that someone who is not INTJ took their best guess on this one?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree with you. I have trouble verbally expressing the abstract things in my head that Ni produces, so I do feel like an idiot from time to time, unable to convey something that is so clearly an intelligent argument in my head. It's uncomfortable but possible to deal with, definitely not a definition of hell to me.

Hell might as well be dealing with that colleague of yours. For me it's similar, dealing with self-absorbed people, people who lack humanity and basic decency, people who refuse to listen and refuse to understand other people. A small hell might be a surprise party as well.
Also, dealing with an ISTJ. I just can't work in any way with these people, they just don't compute, don't listen to me. At least the ones I met. They are pretty darn reliable but it feels like they never actually hear me. It's like they live in their alternative universe that somewhat overlaps with the world around but anything that doesn't fit their "mind map of reality" is simply ignored as nonexistent.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Something idiotic comes out? What? What is the type of the person who wrote this list? >.>

My personal hell would be being trapped at a big event like the county fair where people walk too slowly everywhere, nothing is sanitary, the fried food has been battered and fried again, outhouses, and lots of loud people acting rediculously in crowds and bumping into me.

Funk dat.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I am in the same position in terms of my work colleagues. My department is split up into teams and my team is lucky enough to have both a serial talker and a manipulative, "don't listen to anyone but me" butt kisser.

In terms of word vomit it's something that I hate but I wouldn't consider it hell. I'm sure I sound like an idiot at times but I make up for it with eloquently worded emails, so people know I'm not ACTUALLY an idiot and am very capable of intelligence.

My personal hell is being aware of social/professional issues that no one else is aware of, and having no way of fighting back. I would much rather suffer a meaningless, hour-long small talk discussion than be manipulated by someone with no common sense.

If I do something stupid and make myself look bad, that's my own fault. If someone purposely sets me up to look stupid in front of others and I'm unable to defend myself, that's hell.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I agree that perceiving my own externalized thoughts as stupid, or rather lacking and not as orderly and effective as I had them structured in my head, is something that happens to me quite often. Ni is a complex function to translate into simpler terms.

My own version of hell would be being stuck for eternity in a loud, suffocating, emotionally dramatic and social place. Forced to pointlessly interact with obnoxious people and have my energies, vision and need for autonomy constantly drained to the last drop.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I agree with you, swede, I don't agree with their definition, as I often open my mouth and say the wrong thing.

For me personally, it would be a combination of being in a roomful of people who hate each other yelling at each other and refuse to see each other's viewpoints (like say republican supporters and democrat supporters in the US :p), being micromanaged all the time, and being obliged to meet tons of new people and interact in a socially correct, gender-stereotype-supporting way non-stop. While being forced to eat food that gives me migraines.

I'd probably collapse and you'd find me crying in a corner tearing my hair out.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If I thought I was being sensible and all of my words came out like Brick Tamland speak, that probably would be hell. But then, sometimes it feels like they're coming out like Brick Tamland speak, so... yeah, I'm in agreement with you there.

I can relate to the emotional hell thing. When I'm dealing with somebody who is emotionally volatile, I want to either get away as fast as possible or find a way to calm them down, so I won't have to deal with it.

I can handle emotion, but when it's coloring everything the person is doing and saying with a massive amount of intensity, I feel like I'm trapped in a maelstrom of bullshit. It's near impossible to reason with someone who is in that place - everything is a battle. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Getting old/looking old

I don't wanna live more than 30 max 40.
Yes I'm superficial. I don't give a fuck.
Been an early bloomer, never looked like a kid or the right age.
Looked like 18 when I was 12-13
Some 16-17 year old girls thought I was twenty-effin-six last year AND I WAS 18!!
The negligent baby fat I had was all gone when I was 15.

AAAnd this complex makes my brain suddenly see people old in a vision way.

Therefore, I don't wax my skin (so I wouldn't have future saggy skin) I try to not stand a lot (heredity in varices) and I use good make up which also I don't really wear it in the same quantity as everyone does.

There
I'm an INTJ and I'm this superficial and not completely that oooooo smart and non-blond as it's described.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree with you in that I disagree with the definition of an INTJ's hell, as proposed by the article-writer. I'm perfectly comfortable with saying things that are completely idiotic. While I strive to improve my ability to communicate or improve the information that I have, I'm only human and I have no reservations about that sort of thing. It doesn't bother me at all.

Personally, I suppose that hell for me would be my forced involvement in some sort of large social gathering whereby I was required to interact with others, often to some mundane nature. I don't care much for social conventions, small-talk, or that sort of everyday chatter. I'm not fond of terribly loud places, nor do I care for obnoxious people. While I can make conversation to a somewhat acceptable level, having to keep it up for any lengthy duration would be rather tiresome.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Oh yeah! A place of eternal emotional conversation and small talk might be my hell in regards to the workplace. My personal hell, though, is to be in a dead-end job and amount to nothing much in the world...

I believe that mediocrity is hell in itself.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
ESTJ – An incredibly impractical person is put in charge of all of your major life decisions. You have to do whatever they say and are powerless to argue or reason with them.

INFP – Your deepest thoughts and feelings are exposed to a large audience and everyone thinks that you’re pathetic and unoriginal.

ISTP – The Zombie apocalypse happens but you’re suddenly the world’s weakest fighter and must depend solely on your loved ones to keep you alive.

I actually identify with the above 3 equally torturous hells because I am powerless to do something to reverse or improve them. (edit: If I was Lisbeth Salander I may be able to do something about ESTJ hell.)

But INFJ hell or INTJ hell (below) don't bother me much.

INFJ – You are eternally damned to working for a morally corrupt company that aims to exploit the weak and generally degrade conditions for all of society.

INTJ – Every time you open your mouth to say something intelligent, something entirely idiotic comes out instead.

If I was in INFJ hell I'd find ways to sabotage the company or its products from within. If I say idiotic things, I'd try turning myself into a standup comedienne.

Turning lemons into lemonade would be my way to break out of INXJ hells!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Getting old/looking old

I don't wanna live more than 30 max 40.
Yes I'm superficial. I don't give a fuck.
Been an early bloomer, never looked like a kid or the right age.
Looked like 18 when I was 12-13
Some 16-17 year old girls thought I was twenty-effin-six last year AND I WAS 18!!
The negligent baby fat I had was all gone when I was 15.

AAAnd this complex makes my brain suddenly see people old in a vision way.

Therefore, I don't wax my skin (so I wouldn't have future saggy skin) I try to not stand a lot (heredity in varices) and I use good make up which also I don't really wear it in the same quantity as everyone does.

There
I'm an INTJ and I'm this superficial and not completely that oooooo smart and non-blond as it's described.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I agree with you. I have trouble verbally expressing the abstract things in my head that Ni produces, so I do feel like an idiot from time to time, unable to convey something that is so clearly an intelligent argument in my head. It's uncomfortable but possible to deal with, definitely not a definition of hell to me.

Hell might as well be dealing with that colleague of yours. For me it's similar, dealing with self-absorbed people, people who lack humanity and basic decency, people who refuse to listen and refuse to understand other people. A small hell might be a surprise party as well.
Also, dealing with an ISTJ. I just can't work in any way with these people, they just don't compute, don't listen to me. At least the ones I met. They are pretty darn reliable but it feels like they never actually hear me. It's like they live in their alternative universe that somewhat overlaps with the world around but anything that doesn't fit their "mind map of reality" is simply ignored as nonexistent.
I entirely understand what you mean. I sometimes have these big broad ideas about things, and when I try to express them I get funny looks. People do not seem to understand the entirety of what I am saying, or they view it in overly-simplistic terms. The other day at work, I was trying to tell my manager about how humans have a very strange ritual when it comes to communication (small talk). I was wondering aloud if there was an equivalent to such a behavior in the natural world, and he just said "Well, humans do it because they talk and animals do not."

In defense of ISTJs, they are actually much less rigid in their ways of thinking than many perceive them to be. They simply struggle with communicating thoughts and ideas from their own inner worlds. But yes, I also see that they can be quite dismissive.

My hell would be:
1. Being trapped forever at a Nicki Minaj/Alvin the Chipmunk concert where the volume is 10X more than usual and there are over 10,000 people.
2. Being the only young person living in a tent on a nude beach with 2000 seniors.
3. Performing vivisection as a job.
4. Being forced to defend Creationism in a court of law.

Reactions: LostFavor and Swede

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Sabrah, those are awfully specific descriptions. XD
#1 sounds terrible.
#2 would be better than same scenario but with 2000 touchy, insecure and horny teenagers instead of seniors....

1 - 20 of 90 Posts