Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recent threads have prompted me to think about the difference between feelings and emotions. This is an interesting article on the distinction: Difference Between Emotions and Feelings | Definition, Meaning, and Characteristics and it includes this infographic:

Difference-Between-Emotions-and-Feelings-infographic.jpg

Would you consider yourself 'emotional'?

Do you think all types are equally 'emotional'? If not, which types do you think tend to be more emotional?

Is there anything positive about being 'emotional'? since I tend to see it as an insult, or at least used as an insult to undermine people's credibility/right to be taken seriously.

What do you think? I would be interested to hear the views of all 'types'.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I think all people experience emotions, and I think temperament has more to do with emotionality than personality type. You see people who react to everything through intense emotion, and you see people who don't. I personally know people of all types from either extreme.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I can't read the article now, but going by that infographic, no, I am not emotional. One can only notice what I am feeling if I am really pissed off, since I become the queen of passive aggressiveness and I make no attempts to hide the fact I am burning inside.

I am filled with feelings, though, but I am really bad at understanding and dealing with them, which once made me wonder if I wasn't an INTP with inferior Fe instead. I mean, with auxiliary Fe, in theory, I shouldn't be this bad at managing my feels. In theory.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think all people experience emotions, and I think temperament has more to do with emotionality than personality type. You see people who react to everything through intense emotion, and you see people who don't. I personally know people of all types from either extreme.
What do you mean by temperament?

I haven't yet decided whether I am particularly emotional. I know I try not to come across as overly emotional. But I think I probably feel very emotional much of the time. And by this, I am not sure whether I am really referring to feeling my 'feelings' or 'emotions'.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Would you consider yourself 'emotional'?
From reading the article, I'd say everyone is - just that, people cope with it in different ways. Some are more reactive, some suppress, others indulge.

As for myself, I find that I always seek to step away from my emotional reactions after having one in order to identify what emotion I'm currently experiencing or just expressed, why I reacted that way and how to proceed. I try to transcend emotion through "feeling," (changing my mental state).

I see emotions almost like an illusion, in that way. They are important. They give you messages but people acting solely on emotion and then proceeding to mistreat others because of it, is frustrating to me and not okay in my book. It's not okay when I do it to others either. In that way, I don't over-identify with my emotional states. If I am experiencing stress, I can analyze it, resolve it and then choose to feel something else. My emotions shouldn't define or control me.

Do you think all types are equally 'emotional'? If not, which types do you think tend to be more emotional?
I hesitate to correlate it with MBTI but I think it's easier to make a correlation with enneagram. However, it would be too simplistic to say one type is more emotional than others. We all experience emotions on a physical level like it talks about (whether we are aware of that or not makes no difference), just each enneagram manifests it and then copes in different ways.

Is there anything positive about being 'emotional'? since I tend to see it as an insult, or at least used as an insult to undermine people's credibility/right to be taken seriously.
I think it's just apart of being human. Not necessarily an insult unless the person refuses to appeal to reason eventually. When an emotion is fresh, the person has to calm down first before being able to see clearly again. However, for some people - emotion allows them to see more clearly (maybe due to adrenaline). Like for my husband, he says that he's able to express himself and think clearer when he's angry. I'm the opposite. I wouldn't chalk this up to type or enneagram though, just biological differences with us since me and him are the same type MBTI and enneagram wise.

If a person was emotional while making some argument, it doesn't necessarily make their argument less valid. It's just that when people let emotion get in the way, sometimes it interferes with clarity. But in other situations, I think it can be helpful if you're picking up on something very real in your environment on a more visceral, emotional level. It can almost be intuitive in that way? I'm probably not explaining this well though.

You'll probably be better received by some if you're calmer and more seriously if you're emotional. It depends on your audience. Some people are more easily swayed by strong displays of emotions, while others, not so much.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @Vivid Melody . Yes, I could see how being emotional may have no correlation to MBTI at all. It's difficult for me to see emotions positively though with comments in the article such as: "It is important to know that emotions are considered to be irrational, illogical and unreasonable since they are carried out by the limbic system, which is separate from the neocortex, which deals with reasoning, conscious thoughts, and decision making."

As an aside, I'm really astonished by your pairing with your husband. I think INFJ and INFJ pairings are probably rare in themselves, without enneagram thrown in as well! That's pretty special :)

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Thanks @Vivid Melody . Yes, I could see how being emotional may have no correlation to MBTI at all. It's difficult for me to see emotions positively though with comments in the article such as: "It is important to know that emotions are considered to be irrational, illogical and unreasonable since they are carried out by the limbic system, which is separate from the neocortex, which deals with reasoning, conscious thoughts, and decision making."
I guess I read that part more neutrally like - just because they're technically not "rational" and stemming from conscious thought doesn't mean they aren't important messages, valid etc. They're just more instinctual. Sometimes our instincts are very correct even if we don't immediately understand why or processed through reasoning in order to come to a conclusion about something.

I think the way we respond to these things could point to MBTI and enneagram or give some clues but you can fill in the blanks with that, I suppose ;) People are intricate and yada yada yada

As an aside, I'm really astonished by your pairing with your husband. I think INFJ and INFJ pairings are probably rare in themselves, without enneagram thrown in as well! That's pretty special :)
Yeah, it's kind of funny how that worked out. We didn't know anything about typology when we met so it was pure chance or at the risk of sounding cheesy - destiny if you believe in that as I do ;) Though of course it's more about the individual for me. I wouldn't have just gone for any type 6 INFJ ;)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
What do you mean by temperament?
People are genetically wired differently to respond to situations and stimuli. Some people are more reactive, some people respond by mitigating emotion, some people never experience much emotion at all. The enneagram, for instance, is a system that attempts to illustrate these sorts of differences. (Even though many theories say enneatypes are determined by childhood trauma, I haven't seen that to hold. I've seen strong characteristics of enneatype Two in one of my nieces as soon as she learned to walk, and enneatype Four in the other).

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Well, lately I certainly have been more "emotional" than normal as I'm struggling through this whole really having feelings for someone thing. That definitely affects my physical states too, for instance feeling fatigued when I've been away for a while or not even remembering that food exists or not being able to rub the craziest smile off my face for hours after being with him.

In general I don't think I acknowledge the "emotional" side as much, even though I think everyone is emotional in the way described above. We can all also suppress emotions, and I think I tend to do that.

I surprisingly often am told how calm or collected or serene I seem, such as around schoolwork, and I suppose that sort of thing would be more about feelings then? I think the feelings are what dwell on more, the things that don't appear physically and are perhaps more analytical.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I just want to say that I don't prefer anything that suggests feelings are equal to rational thought of any sort, I feel like that's letting people off the hook from really feeling what's in their heart. They are two different centers in my eyes. I like Karla McLaren for anything feelings-related.https://karlamclaren.com/2010/08/19/is-it-a-feeling-or-is-it-an-emotion/
Yes, she is saying something similar, but she says it in away that does not let someone off the hook by rationalizing. I think that’svery important in a world that strongly favors rational thought overfeeling/emotion

As an empath, feelings over the years got super confusing for me. But daily meditation helps immensely. Centering yourself and focusing on your inner states while incredibly still and quiet does wonders. I am so sensitive, I feel everything around me and if I’m not careful, since I’ve been one happy to take on a lot of blame for the sake of peace, people will dump the stuff they refuse to own onto me, so it’s been real important I know what I’m thinking and feeling, and don’t let others tell me what they assume is up with me.

Turns out I’m not as emotional as I thought I was in the past…I’m feeling the emotional soup all around me, even in traffic and at work! Also people can stir your emotions up, so I’m cautious of that as well. If you are feeling good, and someone is in a negative state, you can ‘catch’ it. Justas smiles are contagious, negative emotions can be too!

·
Registered
ISTP
1,214 Posts
First I have to note that the article is not strict with its own definitions:
Emotions are natural phenomenon. They can be considered as physical and instinctive since they arise from our bodies’ responses to external stimuli. For example, when you are in an unknown place, you may feel a range of emotions such as curiosity and fear.
Usually, I'd say w/e, but you'd think in this context, it's kinda relevant. Do they mean figure of speech "feel", or their newly defined "feel"? I shouldn't have to guess.

Anyway, if I take this, I'm really low on emotions, but since I don't think I'm that low on feelings, that creates ??? -- that shouldn't be possible going by the article, but I think it is. Not least because feelings need not have an external cause. The article doesn't seem to account for that.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I'm probably more emotional but when it gets to a certain point where they are very strong, feelings take effect too. The two can be intertwined but it's interesting to think of them in separate categories. They do contrast each other in some ways. I'm probably more affected by the emotional aspect though. Sometimes, it takes me a while to process my feelings in order to talk about them and properly express them. Otherwise, they're pretty raw and difficult to explain.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm probably more emotional but when it gets to a certain point where they are very strong, feelings take effect too. The two can be intertwined but it's interesting to think of them in separate categories. They do contrast each other in some ways. I'm probably more affected by the emotional aspect though. Sometimes, it takes me a while to process my feelings in order to talk about them and properly express them. Otherwise, they're pretty raw and difficult to explain.
This is completely relatable for me. I honestly don't know what I'm feeling most of the time. I've been in my new job 5 weeks now, and I still don't know how I feel about it. Although, I can say that the work is very interesting and most of the people are friendly, whilst the IT infrastructure and overall staff support services are poor, all those things are 'facts' rather than a description of my feelings. Granted, my work is probably not the most personal subject. I usually know when I dislike someone, more quickly than when I think I might like them, but even then, my dislike is usually mixed with mitigating thoughts about said person, so that I rarely think my dislike is completely justified. As for my emotions, I can probably describe them more easily, but I find them so shallow and transient that I don't give them much weight or value at all.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
This is completely relatable for me. I honestly don't know what I'm feeling most of the time. I've been in my new job 5 weeks now, and I still don't know how I feel about it. Although, I can say that the work is very interesting and most of the people are friendly, whilst the IT infrastructure and overall staff support services are poor, all those things are 'facts' rather than a description of my feelings. Granted, my work is probably not the most personal subject. I usually know when I dislike someone, more quickly than when I think I might like them, but even then, my dislike is usually mixed with mitigating thoughts about said person, so that I rarely think my dislike is completely justified. As for my emotions, I can probably describe them more easily, but I find them so shallow and transient that I don't give them much weight or value at all.
I'm hoping you end up enjoying your new job. It can take a while to know if it is satisfactory or not. It is hard to know in the moment. Yeah, I know when I dislike someone or find them annoying. Sometimes, I end up liking them later on and realize I was just being overly judgemental. I try to find the positive in them because I know that I may just be being judgemental and irrational in the moment and sometimes when we are angry, we say and think things we don't completely mean. First impressions can be weird and sometimes they can be hard to go off of. Sometimes, I have an easier talking about emotions after they happen.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
First I have to note that the article is not strict with its own definitions:

Usually, I'd say w/e, but you'd think in this context, it's kinda relevant. Do they mean figure of speech "feel", or their newly defined "feel"? I shouldn't have to guess.
I agree. That article probably wasn't the best, and it wasn't written by an expert in psychology or anything like that. I just thought it expressed the idea quickly and [mostly] quite clearly with the benefit of a simple visual. A quick google search will return many other similar results, and the one posted by @StableSun35 is much more thought through.

I do like accuracy in language. It always takes me a dozen or so takes before my own writing is satisfactory. That's why I admire mature Te [although, inwardly I believe Ti understanding is usually more accurate]. But those are thoughts for another thread!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I keep my feelings to myself, but I constantly worry that my strong emotions will betray me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts