Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an in-depth research of a particular topic undertaken by someone, which function would be used *more*? Ne or Ni?
(**Apart from T or any other function - I am just conentration on the N function here).

Thanking you in advance.

[Not sure, if I'm making sense here. I wanted to talk about some sort of 'fixation' here. Like, you get stuck in one topic (i.e. MBTI) and then try focusing on the topic and learn as much as you can....would that be Ne or Ni attributed to this? (essentially ignoring all other functions involved)...does that make any sense to you?]

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
In an in-depth research of a particular topic undertaken by someone, which function would be used *more*? Ne or Ni?
(**Apart from T or any other function - I am just conentration on the N function here).

Thanking you in advance.

[Not sure, if I'm making sense here. I wanted to talk about some sort of 'fixation' here. Like, you get stuck in one topic (i.e. MBTI) and then try focusing on the topic and learn as much as you can....would that be Ne or Ni attributed to this? (essentially ignoring all other functions involved)...does that make any sense to you?]
I once wondered:

When someone strays off topic and derails the thought flow is that person using Ne or Ni? Why are they not staying on topic and exploring with me? And what functions is the person using when they are able to discuss with me a topic in great detail without going off on a tangent that is completely unrelated or if they do they are able to bring it back somehow to the main topic at hand?

Is this somewhere in the same vicinity as your question?

I found some answers to the above questions which might answer the question you're having...

1. I believe that being able to stay on topic in conversation has more to do with Ti than intuition.
2. Depth--defined as seeing a piece in relation to the whole of the present (Ne) or in relation to it's history and potential future (Ni) or simply the big picture (Ne) and discussion of all the pieces that go into that or discussion of trends through history (Ni)...is governed by both but which aspects you're most interested in determine which you use predominantly.

For example, ENFJs I know are constantly talking about the future in relation to the past. They like to speculate out-loud about how society will transform in the next few hundred years. i.e. Ni heavy convo.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oh, phases! I know exactly what you mean! I'd imagine that's more commonly Ni-associated, as I know so many INFJs like that, but I'm sure it happens with Ne types, too.

There's a quick test to see if you're INFP or INFJ that I read on here. First, imagine a river flowing in front of you. Is it positioned horizontally or vertically in respect to you? Now highlight the white text below....

If it's flowing vertically, you're an INFP. If it's flowing horizontally, you're likely an INFJ.

I realize this a bit off topic, but the posters above had good responses. I hope this helps! I remember you were trying to decide your type when we spoke.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Getting very concrete, Ne is an inert gas used in old beer signs.
Ni is a metal used in iron alloys and five cent coins.
On topic, it seems that these terms mean whatever one wants them to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts