Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an in-depth research of a particular topic undertaken by someone, which function would be used *more*? Ne or Ni?
(**Apart from T or any other function - I am just conentration on the N function here).

Thanking you in advance.

[Not sure, if I'm making sense here. I wanted to talk about some sort of 'fixation' here. Like, you get stuck in one topic (i.e. MBTI) and then try focusing on the topic and learn as much as you can....would that be Ne or Ni attributed to this? (essentially ignoring all other functions involved)...does that make any sense to you?]

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
the primary difference is how, and in what sphere they connect the dots and generate possibilities. both are creative in trying to mentally piece together something out of what they see.

Ni does this mental processing partly in the subconscious mind and delivers the product of this processing to the conscious mind as rationalized conclusions that seem to come out of nowhere or "just knowing" or possibilities for analysis via the judging function. the subconscious mind gathers sensory data from the external atmosphere and strings it together by noting what could be related to what, as if trying to put all the pieces together to make sense of them. think of it like a DIY "fabrication required" very complicated machine, handed to the user as a big bag of materials to be fabricated, one piece taken out of the bag at a time, with no picture of what is to be built and no instructions guide in how to build it, just a bag of parts that all need to be used, that will only go together correctly one way.

just like puzzle pieces that fit together are joined to form specific patterns that look like a big picture, Ni is putting together pieces to form an overall understanding of reality. on this side, this piece fits that piece; on its other side, it fits this other piece, on another side, it snaps into yet another piece, so Ni sees all the connections and patterns, and where each piece fits. but Ni has no prefabricated picture on the front of the puzzle box that it goes by (it is not limited by bounds of what others think its thinking should be, or even what is supposedly impossible); it does not start out knowing what the overall picture will look like. so it is open-minded in wanting to consider all possibilities for where each piece could fit, and (partly with the help of the Ni user's judging function) ends up trying each place out, ruling out where it won't snap in, testing it other places. as new pieces are added, the picture morphs, and some formerly fitted pieces may be relocated. the overall picture is quite complex, because there are SO many pieces and so many patterns (common colors, areas of the picture) that comprise the whole.

if you think of the myriad of possibilities for interpretation of every event, behavior, or theoretical concept in life, with each of those possibilities being a piece that gets incorporated into this puzzle - somewhere - you will realize how vast is the scope of this puzzle. but Ni looks at it from far above, so it can recognize the overall patterns and pictures being created by the joining of the pieces. Ni may look inexplicable in how it knows what it knows, or where it gets its ideas, and the Ni user may not be able to explain this because part of this processing occurs in the subconscious mind and is received by the conscious mind of the Ni user in strange forms such as "just knowing in their gut" or getting a hunch or impression or feeling about something. and they may have unusual, unconventional ideas or draw conclusions out of nowhere based on what seems like no actual data (when in reality their Ni gathered all the same data a sensor would gather from the external environment to perceive what is going on, but just did all the processing of that data subconsciously).

Ne does this same sort of DIY mental-fabrication processing, but entirely in the conscious mind, and with the tendency to voice parts of the process to others as flashes of insight or ideas, whereas Ni does this semi-mysteriously (only because the user is unaware of some of this since it goes on in the subconscious mind) and those *flashes* of insight occur within the conscious mind as if a light bulb goes on and suddenly everything becomes clear. the excitement felt by the user in both cases is equivalent.

everything that is noted by Ne in the external world is a dot that is connected to other dots in the external environment to form a picture of what could be, with the result that all kinds of ideas or potentialities are generated. this may appear to others as: thinking aloud about what could be, not wanting to deprive oneself of any options - therefore keeping all options open, a perpetually open mind with a vehement distaste for the opposite in others, an independent streak, never settled/always changing, always coming up with ideas and brainstorming of what we could do together, or how this could be repaired, or how this could be made better, or how this could be solved, or what could be invented, or what new way this could be accomplished, troubleshooting, diagnosing, etc. for example..."what do you want to do tonight? we could eat at this place. or this one. or this one. and we could go out to see comedy. or if you want we could go to the game. or i could invite your friends over and we could all do thus-and-so"..."if we used this and this instead of these traditional tools or methods, we could make this work better"...."why not try doing it this other way? you don't always have to do it the old, tried-and-tested way. new might be better. the same old way gets boring after a while, anyway"..."since this and that are true about this medical condition, and this new technology has these specific effects, maybe we could apply this technology to that medical condition - has anyone thought of that before?"..."since it's doing this, and you're hearing this sound, and you're getting this warning light, it's probably this that is wrong with your car."

Ne comes up with possibilities like Ni, with the shared ability to extrapolate from the present to what could be in the future, or from the immediate data back to what could be the ultimate source. but Ni is trying to figure out what is out of what could be, and then follow patterns to their ultimate conclusions in predicting what could occur in the future on the basis of what is now, or what underlies what is now, while Ne is trying to figure out what could be put together in what is now, to modify what could be in the future, or how to fix what is now by figuring out what caused it. there can be some overlap in what Ni and Ne accomplish - for instance, diagnosis and treatment - but their brains go about the process of connecting the dots in somewhat different ways. both tend to step out on their own to piece data together, not reliant on the thoughts of others. and Ne pieces data together and notes patterns also, except in the conscious mind using data directly taken from the external world (not indirectly via the subconscious mind). and there is not just one picture created by connecting the dots - there are many possible pictures, and the Ne user is not going to limit themself to just one, but will keep generating new ones as long as they live.

i'm not great at explaining it but i hope this might give some insight.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
I imagine Ne as searching for new unconsidered ideas and directions.

I imagine Ni as ruminating over the stuff you already know, and making connections inside your head.
Eh, well, I don't think so... I see it as Ni looks at only a few possibilities but can see them deeply all the way to the end... Ne sees many possibilities but not as deep. I hope I made sense..

·
Registered
181 Posts
So Ne as different paths to take?

And Ni as how certain patterns develop?

I think I get what you're saying?

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
So Ne as different paths to take?

And Ni as how certain patterns develop?

I think I get what you're saying?
Not necessarily, more like Ne is a room with a bunch of hallways around it but you can only see half way down vs. Ni is you're in a room where you only have a couple of hallways but you see all the way down to the end.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
the difference between Ni and Ne is not a difference in number of possibilities; it is a difference in type of possibilities. Ni looks for what could potentially be the meaning behind things (and follows each potential out to its future implications), Ne looks for potentialities that could be brought to fruition (or it can be involved in figuring out cause/effect sequences for troubleshooting purposes).

if i told you all the possibilities my Ni-dominant mind can come up with for explaining the emotional-psychological intent in each person, and story behind, each event i witness or participate in...you'd probably be shocked at the number of potentials ('what is really going on here behind the scenes?') or motives/feelings symbolized by action/body language/tone/interaction generated. i think in paragraphs in that sense, and my thoughts are far longer than my mile-long previous post. xD

what i think the King of Dreams is indicating (in the previous post) is not the quantity of options, but the quality - that Ne sees lots of options that are not as yet fulfilled, while Ni sees a lot of options for understanding/interpreting what already exists (but follows them through like hallways to what they could lead to - i like that analogy!!). :)

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
what i think the King of Dreams is indicating (in the previous post) is not the quantity of options, but the quality - that Ne sees lots of options that are not as yet fulfilled, while Ni sees a lot of options for understanding/interpreting what already exists (but follows them through like hallways to what they could lead to - i like that analogy!!). :)
This is why INFJs are awesome..... I threw the ball, you caught it and made a touchdown! You explained it better than I could. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so scatterbrained that it's hard for me to explain things.... Or even tell a story.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
This is why INFJs are awesome..... I threw the ball, you caught it and made a touchdown! You explained it better than I could. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so scatterbrained that it's hard for me to explain things.... Or even tell a story.
you are so sweet; actually i was thinking what an awesome metaphor the hallway/doors idea that your Ne invented was....wanted to expand on it. :) :) i wish i could have thought of such a great figurative way to express it. :)

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
you are so sweet; actually i was thinking what an awesome metaphor the hallway/doors idea that your Ne invented was....wanted to expand on it. :) :) i wish i could have thought of such a great figurative way to express it. :)
But your way of translating my explanation was superb! I was actually impressed :proud:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts