Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an in-depth research of a particular topic undertaken by someone, which function would be used *more*? Ne or Ni?
(**Apart from T or any other function - I am just conentration on the N function here).

Thanking you in advance.

[Not sure, if I'm making sense here. I wanted to talk about some sort of 'fixation' here. Like, you get stuck in one topic (i.e. MBTI) and then try focusing on the topic and learn as much as you can....would that be Ne or Ni attributed to this? (essentially ignoring all other functions involved)...does that make any sense to you?]

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
See the cognitive functions subforum

Reactions: serenityy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
That is more likely a personal motivation... not a cognitive function. Cognitive functions are how you deal with information. Often enneagram will give more insight into why you are motivated to learn or study something.

Yes, with cognitive functions, you will prefer to learn about something in a certain way, but any type can get very interested in learning something in great detail, and that depends on enneagram motivations.

Also, I agree: go read the cognitive functions forum. If you haven't been there already, there are some good stickies at the top that outline things nicely. If you want more after that, feel free to ask in the threads or pm me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
[Not sure, if I'm making sense here. I wanted to talk about some sort of 'fixation' here. Like, you get stuck in one topic (i.e. MBTI) and then try focusing on the topic and learn as much as you can....would that be Ne or Ni attributed to this? (essentially ignoring all other functions involved)...does that make any sense to you?]
Neither, that's more related to Te. (organizing the world around you.)

Ni and Ne are irrational functions (because they seem to just invent things out of nothing, which isn't actually the case but they seem to do this.) All they really do is come up with associations. In absolutely no way do they try to organize information. They just see organization in existing information, also or perhaps especially, that hasn't been organized (yet).

Ni sees in the chaos of information the final future state, while Ne sees in the chaos all the possible future states. (big difference between these 2 but both require a form of vision (N).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts