Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just some quick, spontaneous remarks of the differences between ESFPs and ISFPs. I base my conclusions on the experience that I've gathered from me, my ISFP mom and some other ISFPs and ESFPs I've gotten to know. There is probably some differences in behavior between the genders - I'd think females tend to be more emotional.

ISFPs are more emphathetic, if someone is telling about their hardships, ESFPs try to lighten them up using humor and some of their good cheer, ISFPs emphatize readily: "oh no, that is so sad", ESFPs laugh or joke first

ESFPs show more emotion, their teeth are visible when they smile and they also smile a lot, they are happy most of the time, when ESFPs smile their eyes smile too, ISFPs smile less and their eyes don't show as much warmth

ISFPs are more serious, ESFPs are more lighthearted, therefore ESFPs laugh at themselves and make themselves the butt of the joke, ISFPs don't do this but allow others to laugh at them, but this bugs them in reality if they notice it

ESFPs are more energetic when doing things, more spontaneous, ISFPs might be happy spending their weekend doing the laundry and cleaning the house

ESFPs do things faster, they can probably clean the house in half the time than it takes the ISFP, because they can do things step by step, in a more logical order and expend more energy in each step

ISFPs are more illogical and their talk is less organized, it can be difficult to know what they are trying to say, ESFPs are more straightforward in their speech, and understand more about things, cause and effect

ISFPs often hesitate to talk to strangers and they aren't as good at conversation as ESFPs, because ESFPs express their thoughts and ask questions more readily, ISFPs can seem childish at times and they're afraid of druggies, ESFPs have done drugs themselves at some point

ESFPs have ten or hundred times more acquitances, ISFPs cling to one or two friends, ESFPs might want to meet new people when they are getting bored, ISFPs want to make few life-long friends

The differences are that ESFPs are Se first, Fi second and they have Te in the third place; ISFPs are Fi first, Se second and they have Te in the fourth place (inferior).

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hmm. Interesting comparisons. I'll confirm or question the conclusions you've shared here.

I'm not a very strong E, but I don't try to cheer people up when they are down, at least not directly. I'm empathetic, and sometimes people get out of a rut faster if you let them be in their rut instead of trying to make them happy. However, I have a psych background, and used to test as INFP, so maybe this is where the extra empathy comes from. I also don't like to entertain people in a class clown kind of way... maybe, again, just because I'm not a really strong E. I go to genuine before I go to jokey usually.

My emotion is more visible than when I tested I.

I only make myself the butt of a joke to counteract feeling embarrassed. Usually don't care if folks are laughing at me when I'm the one who gave the room permission to do it.

I wouldn't say I clean logically. I clean when the mood strikes me, and just do whatever makes sense in the moment. Actually, my clothes dryer is on the other end of the house, and doesn't have an alarm to sound when the cycle's done. I have a tendency to forget to hang my clothes when they've dried.

I can be pretty spontaneous but I can be pretty focused on planning about things too, it just depends on... something, not sure what. Usually has to do with whether the idea will interrupt whatever I've seen planned for myself for the next few moments (minutes or hours), and whether I'm in a more open state at the time (not feeling totally open all of the time).

My communication can be very scattered and spiderwebby sometimes. When less stressed or when I sense a power play I do tend to get more direct. I don't like things to be unnecessarily complicated. But I try to balance my desire for directness with consideration of appropriate ego defenses (aka empathy).

I do find it easy to talk to people, including strangers. But I need my inner well-being in check for this to be at max capacity. If I'm hungry or tired or physically uncomfortable, I'm more closed off. Could be the influence of enneagram here.

I like deep friendships, (not necessarily deep like we share our dreams all the time, but lasting and dependable and we can both go to each other with our mundane crap or spend time together and know each other more deeply than you might expect for an E's preference). Only have about three close friends right now that I spend time with regularly. Sounds pretty ISFP eh? But when I count my nerdish laptop pursuits, then yes I have a TON of acquaintances, many of which I'd love to chill with afk if I had the resources to meet up.

I have also been looking into joining some groups so I can meet more people.

Not well-versed enough in the function breakdown to comment on that part.

Fascinating, thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I feel like you've painted ISFPs in a bad light. I'm not an extreme I, but alot of that isn't true at all.

ESFPs are more energetic when doing things, more spontaneous, ISFPs might be happy spending their weekend doing the laundry and cleaning the house
I don't know any ISFP or any P for that matter who would be happy spending their weekend doing housework??

ISFPs often hesitate to talk to strangers and they aren't as good at conversation as ESFPs, because ESFPs express their thoughts and ask questions more readily, ISFPs can seem childish at times and they're afraid of druggies, ESFPs have done drugs themselves at some point
I don't agree that ISFPs are more childish than ESFPs. In fact I'd say it's the other way round. One of my best friends is a ESFP. She is super childish.

ESFPs have ten or hundred times more acquitances, ISFPs cling to one or two friends, ESFPs might want to meet new people when they are getting bored, ISFPs want to make few life-long friends
I have the same group of friends as my ESFP friend. There are 6 of us. I have plenty of acquitances too. IDK what ISFPs you know, but we're definitely not all that antisocial.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting, and I agree with some of those but, really, it sounds like it's as if ESFP's can do everything better than ISFP's. Just because we aren't extroverted doesn't make us not as good or less capable of anything. We often prefer having just a few really close friends, and I see nothing wrong with that, but we also like to meet new people and form new acquaintances as well, or at least I do.
About their speech, I disagree. Introverts tend to think before they speak, thus giving them time to form what they mean in their brain before they say it, unlike extroverts.

·
Banned
982 Posts
I think I wrote a response to this thread a little while ago, but ended up deleting it because I was a bit too blunt. Take 2.

I'd think females tend to be more emotional.
Maybe. Really arguable though when it comes to ISFPs.

their eyes don't show as much warmth
I've heard many people say ISFPs have soulful eyes. In fact, thats often the best way to tell how we're feeling.

ISFPs can seem childish at times and they're afraid of druggies

Half of these things are too situational for me to even respond seriously. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
My talk is not less organized because I actually think before I talk. Also, I'm not as immature as you described. My maturity varies :)

If I'm with my closest friend(s), then I will act like a little girl! Otherwise, I'm really reserved and think before I say everything. I'm not afraid of druggies either. In fact, one of my closest friends smokes pot, and I love her to death.

As for staying home as cleaning the house... Dude, I prefer playing games or reading books please. I absolutely HATE cleaning or organizing stuff! My super perceiving side leaves it dirty and unorganized :laughing:.

Like fouxdafafa said, most of the ESFPs I know are less mature... They would talk loudly in the public without second thoughts. They would also say anything. I mean ANYTHING, even sexual talks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like you're describing the differences between Extroverts and Introverts in general. Es usually are more energetic, show more visible emotion, hang out with more people, and talk faster. You could say the same about ENTPs vs INTPs, or ESTJs vs ISTJs, or any other E-I pairing.

As for ISFPs being more childish, I guess it depends on the individuals. That has not been my experience, however. I might say that ISFPs were more "child-like." Quietly enjoying the wonder of the world around them and whatnot. But not more childish.

And Ps spending their weekends happily cleaning the house? Pu-leeze. That's J-city behavior, that is.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
@BearRight
I just want to start this post, by saying I do really like your original post, and I think the essences or ideas of what you're saying are very understandable and relatable, whereas I do disagree with some of the specifics, for example: "ESFPs have done drugs themselves at some point" I think that's too absolute, and all types do drugs (ha). In fact, I think the xSFPs are the crackpots!

I know ESFPs to seem as though they can subdue their feelings better than the ISFP who may feel more consistently in touch with Fi. Both types are childish, but an ESFP's primary-tertiary Se-Te gives a better awareness of others and the external reality. I see it too, the ISFP is the eternal boy (puer aeternus is a favorite Latin phrase of mine that I first saw when Ovid mentions Bacchus in the Metamorphoses) who is more closely driven by some sort of feeling framework.

Ah.

I love these posts.
I'm still unsure of my type as of now I'm more comfortable in the Fi zones. Slow to see the Se/Ni or Si/Ne yet.

·
Banned
5,472 Posts
I have this hypothesis: that for introverts, the dominant function may be more of an inhibiting factor, where as for extroverts, the introverted auxiliary function might be something they want to display more to others. Like, for Fi doms, the Fi might not be visible to other people, but it's always foremost in the Fi dom's mind, an the factor in the things they decide to do, and refrain from deciding to do, but they might be more inclined to hold back from expressing it to others, because it's more personal, and thus sensitive.

For aux Fi's, the feeling might be more expressed to others, because they're a tiny bit more detached from it, and they're closer to their extroverted thinking function, so they'll be more verbal when it comes to their values, and that value is touched on, whereas Fi doms might not be very verbal until they feel pushed into a corner, then it all comes out. I always see ESFPs as the most expressive of all the FPs when it comes to feelings. I find Se doms can be very expressive, and as Se Fi, ESFPs usually act their feelings, but it's more like, act then evaluate, I imagine, whereas with ISFPs, I'm guessing, it's more like assess an action by your feelings then act.

Please let me know if I'm close guys. I want to understand Fi. You guys are such beautiful people!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have this hypothesis: that for introverts, the dominant function may be more of an inhibiting factor, where as for extroverts, the introverted auxiliary function might be something they want to display more to others. Like, for Fi doms, the Fi might not be visible to other people, but it's always foremost in the Fi dom's mind, an the factor in the things they decide to do, and refrain from deciding to do, but they might be more inclined to hold back from expressing it to others, because it's more personal, and thus sensitive.

For aux Fi's, the feeling might be more expressed to others, because they're a tiny bit more detached from it, and they're closer to their extroverted thinking function, so they'll be more verbal when it comes to their values, and that value is touched on, whereas Fi doms might not be very verbal until they feel pushed into a corner, then it all comes out. I always see ESFPs as the most expressive of all the FPs when it comes to feelings. I find Se doms can be very expressive, and as Se Fi, ESFPs usually act their feelings, but it's more like, act then evaluate, I imagine, whereas with ISFPs, I'm guessing, it's more like assess an action by your feelings then act.

Please let me know if I'm close guys. I want to understand Fi. You guys are such beautiful people!
That's what I've observed. I have a friend I had quickly labelled an ESFP for years (he's stereotypically very high energy and the centre of attention) but recently after getting to know him more and showing him the descriptions, we both agree he's an ISFP. Another side of the ISFP I've noticed is their seeming careful conscious attention to fashion or aesthetics, and their pride in the use of Se. The ISFP's Fi side is more natural so they don't feel like they have to put effort into it.

On the other hand, I've noticed many ESFPs often express their "soft, friendly feeling side", so they have pride in their use of Fi, while they put less effort into Se. Because Se is such a glorified function these days, both ESFPs and ISFPs tend to flaunt it at times, which can be kind of annoying to other Se doms because it's no big deal.

ISFPs can to do that more aggressively in my opinion though, sometimes becoming known as the high energy one or the fashion judge, while ESFPs become known as the chilled one or the nice one. As a side note, ESxPs may often drop comments like "look how beautiful the sky is", which usually only other ESxPs have noticed yet.

It happens a lot with the other personality types too, for example think about how much IxTJs take pride in their Te or how ESxJs take pride in their Si.

·
Registered
222 Posts
From what I have read from various places around the internet, it is very hard to realistically compare these two types because they are so similar. There is a ton of overlap, because, well, there is a ton of overlap. You would most likely know an ISFP from an ESFP when you meet them, but the differences in extroversion and introversion can be so subtle that they can only be recognized person, not described very well. I do all of the things the average ESFP description says, and I take a day or two by myself to reflect, use my experiences to generate ideas, and or get some work done. Like someone else said, taking a weekend to do housework sounds like soul sucking torture. I would much rather be out adventuring or watching the sunlight hit the windowpane with a sketchbook in my hand. I spend a lot of time listening to and making music, and seeking out new sensory experiences. I thrive on those experiences. I lust after them. Anyone who knows me would not describe me as mousy or timid. I get adventurous, fun, energetic, unpredictable, alternating quickly and unexpectedly between quiet listening and watching to jumping into activities with full force of enthusiasm and creativity. I can have fun where ever I am. Because of this, and because I am very understanding and accepting of people as they are, I have a lot of friends. There are always people around me in my school or work place, but I only share my inner self with a select few. Though I am sure I am an ISFP, I feel the introverted description of this type is waaaayy off. No ISFP I've ever met is actually like that. They are creative, dynamic, and enthusiastic about life.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've thought of myself as an ISFP for a while, and this may be a totally personal thing, but are Fi-Se types more likely to go through an existential crisis if they are objectively rejected for a personal goal or project that they are rejected from and not able to pursue, or not working on something that interests them, subconsciously have trouble moving on, and thus, stop trying or caring, and shut everyone out by avoiding them through an overindulgence in escapism all alone? Do Fi doms have a tendency to shut out all new possibilities and go into a numb state of meaningless depression when they get objectively rejected or turned down, and thus no longer have a personal hobby, project or goal that they are actively being recognized and/or appreciated for and/or fighting for? I don't actively mull over past experiences, but I always have trouble letting go of rejection, and if I'm not being appreciated or motivated for mto fight for what's meaningful to me to prove them wrong, I sort of shut down, get lazy, become avoidant of people, new experiences, and stop caring by overindulging in escapism through fantasy. I'm always comfortable on my own, but the existential crisis thing is unnerving and you start avoiding people and facing personal feelings and/or reality by sort of becoming a zombie in every day life. I think it might be an Se-Te loop for Fi-Se types. Personally, I think the big difference between the two is how they use their Se, Ni, and Te. From personal experience I think the big difference is that Fi doms need a concrete self-identity and purpose that they are passionate about, and need objective achievement or approval for what they love (their inferior Te), or else they shut down. Se-doms are a bit more comfortable with not knowing who or what their exact purpose is because they are more comfortable being open with their Fi.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I have learned about the cognitive functions, this is what I think would be the difference aside from the obvious E/I reasons:
* ESFPs can communicate in a more measured/rational way because the Te is not inferior (They tend to be more direct).
* Both types are playful and light-hearted on the outside, but the ISFP is more serious and intentional in their behavior than ESFPs.
* ESFPs are more action-oriented, and think slow analysis of a situation kills the joy of the moment. ISFPs are more comfortable with slowing down and thinking through things.
* ESFPs are usually better at sports.
* ESFPs are typically more organized (Te is tertiary, not inferior).
* ESFPs care a little more about their appearance, and look a bit more aesthetically pleasing.
* ESFPs love spontaneous adventures the most, while ISFP love mulling over their values the most.
* ESFPs are more comfortable with logic.
* ESFPs have trouble planning for the future.
* ESFPs are more spontaneous.
* ESFPs are more detail-oriented, ISFPs can see the big-picture more easily.

* ISFPs have trouble with structure.
* ISFPs are more comfortable with abstractions, and may develop some interest in abstract concepts.
* ISFPs are more sensitive to conflict.
* ISFPs daydream a lot more.
* ISFPs have more of an artistic drive.
* ISFPs are more "independent" in their judgements because of dominant judging functions. An example of this could be while the ISFP may dress in an individualistic manner, developing their own highly personal style, the ESFP may follow trends more frequently.
* ISFPs tend to be more accepting of anything unconventional.
* ISFPs tend to have lower self-esteem.
* ISFPs are nurturers to a bigger degree than the ESFP.
* ISFPs tend to have a stronger empathy, and are proud of their "live and let live" -attitude.

I have an ESFP friend, so I can take some time to contrast myself and him. We are both adventurous, fun-loving, freedom-loving etc. We love new stuff and love being in-the-moment.

The differences between us is that, because I have tertiary Ni, I have a little more natural interest in school than he has. Not saying I learn abstract information easily, but at least a litte more easily than him. I am also more able to talk about abstract and intellectual topics without losing interest or becoming dejected.

However, because of dominant Fi I am more likely to daydream and not be able to pay attention, while he can have laser-focus if he makes an effort. When in conversation with him, he is much better than me at paying attention to what the person is saying. He never loses focus, unless you try to discuss typical intuitive things with him. He is also a little more spontaneous than me, and like to live completely in-the-moment.

Because of his tertiary Te he is good at chess and strategizing plans, at least to a bigger extent than me. He can also explain his points more thoroughly and directly.

He is also more extraverted than me, and is often the life of the party. I'm generally seen as more private and gentle than him. He brings people together, while I'm often shy or don't want to infringe on peoples' personal space. I'm quite conflict-averse, and he helps me open up to other people as well as to stand up for myself. I also have more of an artistic drive than he has.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend is ISFP and even though she hates doing chores, every sunday she does laundry and cleans her house up. ( she legits does that) It takes her the hole day to do a simple task that might take 2 hours but she spend the whole day just chillin, she has anxiety and stuff like that keeps her stress free. She would rather be alone than go out to the store or hang out with friends. Even though she can be quit Extroverted at times. I sometimes think shes avoiding me or ignoring me but in reality shes just sleeping in or relaxing listening to music. She is straight childish, its almost annoying to me. I have to constantly tell her to act more mature, to stop using bad language in front of minors. She goes to the store and buys candy and coloring books from the kids section,( usually Hello Kitty)

Though people tend to be drawn to my friends open nature, like moths to a flame, she not drawn to them. People flock around her but she only has 2-3 friends. Its not as though shes antisocial, its just that though she is a high function introvert. She isn't good with communication not at all, and she has social anxiety like me, not as severe as mine but its there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not afraid of druggies either. In fact, one of my closest friends smokes pot, and I love her to death. I mean ANYTHING, even sexual talks.
My ISFP friends smoke pot herself. She has also talked about sexual things in public. I think that ISFP seem like ESFP only when there around close friends cause I now she would never talk about such things in front of strangers.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
oh shit guys lol I know this forum is old but let me just say
I cannot stand doing housework, from whenever that post was.

Se-aux isn't that different than Se-dom. I dated an ExFP for a long time and we got along really well. At the end of the day, he wanted to socialize more and hesitated a tad more in terms of commitment; more interested in terms of possibilities of all the ladies out there he hadn't dated; this seemed absurd to me [bc it just takes my Fi so much longer to trust.] Then again, some IxxPs are great with moving on. Just depends. Interestingly, he was slightly more security-oriented than I was, but that could be enneagram.

My co-worker is also an ESFP. My ENFP coworker describes her as a 'biddy'. Not unlike myself, she wants to go into a medical field. But her Se is obviously her dominant function. She doesn't mind the noise of clubs and bars and drinking. Her Fi is also a mechanism of her Se. She flits before she figures out what she feels.

I indulge in cannabis occasionally and drink here and there but I don't mesh well with the party lifestyle. it's just too loud and too crowded. not to say I dislike physical thrills -- but I dislike dealing with large numbers of loud people. I'd rather tackle the Appalachain trail or go surfing. I know exactly who I am and what I want, something that has intimidated and separated Se-doms from myself. though perhaps for the most balanced, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's a simplification of high-Se. I'm honestly a really outgoing ISFP and both ESFP and ESTP have been presented to me by strangers as likely personality types. But I just lack that kind of forceful energy that dom-Se and tert-Te bring with them.

tldr; basically to learn the difference between an ISFP and ESFP -- or any introvert and extrovert -- you need to get to know them. introversion doesn't automatically mean homebody.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I like this thread a lot, especially everyone's theories. While some specifics will not apply to everyone, I can see some of them fitting, especially comparing me to my ISFP mom. Oh gosh, the taking the whole day to do a task that could be done faster really fits. Lol.

I just realized today I may be an ESFP after thinking I was an ISFP. This thread helps confirm it somewhat.

My thoughts of why I doubted I may be an ISFP.
-I can be really detached from my Fi sometimes...too detached from my emotions, like I dont know what I am really feeling or why. I think it is this Fi/Te being so close to each other that it can switch a lot. It even made me wonder if I could be a T. But when I feel offended, my words come out fast and I am like a lawyer putting someone on trial.

The not flaunting Se makes sense too. I dressed very sloppy for a long while and usually just want to be casual, but my ISFP mom always fussed over me and wanted me to be very ladylike and put together at all times. She gets super proud of herself when she buys something nice or decorates the house. Se is an achievement for her. While lately I feel like Se is like my lifeblood. Lol. It sustains me.

Fi rigidity. Fi-dom are introverted judgers. So they judge. They have strong principles and understand those well. It is actually what I feel I miss out on sometimes. Like I dont know myself well and have to discover it through experience. I feel like ISFP know themselves well and will live their lives more straightforwardly, when healthy, while I feel a bit more go with the flow (if not stressed).

Better reading of the environmental/social cues. I thought I was Fe because I can read people's emotions sometimes too well and the social situation. But at the same time, I can care less about it too. My mom can be a bit clueless to the environment because she cares about how she feels at that moment and doesnt worry what others think. I admire that though and should do that myself...but often I observe too much to speak up.

And then all the differences between perceivers and judgers. Mom is always stressing about, we gotta do this and this and this. And makes it hard for me to relax. But then my ESFP dad he takes relaxing to an extreme...so I dont wanna be like that either.

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,956 Posts
I just realized today I may be an ESFP after thinking I was an ISFP. This thread helps confirm it somewhat.

My thoughts of why I doubted I may be an ISFP.
Well whatever, I think you may be Se dom. Why? Because you can't decide and maybe just make decision on the moment, not looking and bigger picture. You probably focus too much on the moment. Se dom and Ni inferior. That may be right.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,501 Posts
oh shit guys lol I know this forum is old but let me just say
I cannot stand doing housework, from whenever that post was.

Se-aux isn't that different than Se-dom. I dated an ExFP for a long time and we got along really well. At the end of the day, he wanted to socialize more and hesitated a tad more in terms of commitment; more interested in terms of possibilities of all the ladies out there he hadn't dated; this seemed absurd to me [bc it just takes my Fi so much longer to trust.] Then again, some IxxPs are great with moving on. Just depends. Interestingly, he was slightly more security-oriented than I was, but that could be enneagram.

My co-worker is also an ESFP. My ENFP coworker describes her as a 'biddy'. Not unlike myself, she wants to go into a medical field. But her Se is obviously her dominant function. She doesn't mind the noise of clubs and bars and drinking. Her Fi is also a mechanism of her Se. She flits before she figures out what she feels.

I indulge in cannabis occasionally and drink here and there but I don't mesh well with the party lifestyle. it's just too loud and too crowded. not to say I dislike physical thrills -- but I dislike dealing with large numbers of loud people. I'd rather tackle the Appalachain trail or go surfing. I know exactly who I am and what I want, something that has intimidated and separated Se-doms from myself. though perhaps for the most balanced, it wouldn't be an issue.

It's a simplification of high-Se. I'm honestly a really outgoing ISFP and both ESFP and ESTP have been presented to me by strangers as likely personality types. But I just lack that kind of forceful energy that dom-Se and tert-Te bring with them.

tldr; basically to learn the difference between an ISFP and ESFP -- or any introvert and extrovert -- you need to get to know them. introversion doesn't automatically mean homebody.
I have sensory processing disorder so loud parties are out. Appalachian trail... yes!!! Whitewater rafting, yep, I've done that.

Reactions: Acadia
1 - 20 of 30 Posts